Rhaegar's Debut

Asvpxkvng

On 7/17/2016 at 4:35 AM, Asvpxkvng said:

Given that Jon Snow's parentage has finally been breached in the show we can expect more on the topic next season. This will inevitably mean a flashback involving Rhaegar. We will finally get to see this great influential character that arguably shaped many of the events that take place throughout the show. He's probably the character I'm most interested in the entire show and we've never even seen him! This thread is to talk about how he will be introduced. My personal thoughts are that the episode they debut him in will start with a "Previously on Game of Thrones" collection of scenes one of which will be referencing Rhaegar, possibly his "abduction" of Lyanna or just a reference to him and one of his lovable traits, and then we see his affair with Lyanna build through Bran's flashbacks. I'm hoping we might even get to see a secret wedding between him and a certain fair Lady Stark. I think we all can agree that we hope whoever they cast portrays this massively important and looming character in the correctly. I hope to see parallels in Rhaegar's honor to his sons unshakeable sense of doing what's right. What would you like to see?

Great thread.

Personally, I would LOVE to see multiple spin-offs of Game of Thrones when its current run ends, and one of them would be an entire season devoted exclusively to Robert's Rebellion (including the events leading up to it, as you mention)

Short of that dream of mine coming true, though, I like your suggestions.  I think the only thing I would add would be some scenes showing stuff we've been told about Rhaegar's youth (as I recall, he was very studious, loved books, music, and was into prophecy somehow).  I would be ecstatic if they spent an entire episode on that (and the stuff you mention), but I'm not sure that CAN be done via Bran's flashbacks (I'm not sure what the greenseer limitations are, is Bran limited to seeing events from Stark history?)

16 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Alexander Skarsgard is too old for early 20s Rhaegar
I can see Travis Fimmel working.
Jace Wayland is not gorgeous looking enough.

I said Chris Hemsworth because Rhaegar's official art in The world of Ice and Fire was clearly based on him. So it would be cool

1 hour ago, Nami said:

Alexander Skarsgard is too old for early 20s Rhaegar
I can see Travis Fimmel working.
Jace Wayland is not gorgeous looking enough.

I said Chris Hemsworth because Rhaegar's official art in A world of Ice and Fire was clearly based on him. So it would be cool

I actually never read A World of Ice and Fire. Could you link me to a photo of what Rhaegar looks like in there?

3 hours ago, Nami said:

Ah, ok. Yeah, I can definitely see the Hemsworthian influence in him. But the truth is, if Rhaegar shows up at all, it will probably be at best a cameo, much like what we've seen of Lyanna so far. More likely than not, they'll just cast some up and coming actor or model who (hopefully) looks like this.

I still never got over how, when I read the books, I imagined Roose Boloton looking like Lucius Malfoy from Harry Potter, but in the show they instead made him look like Vladimir Putin.

Yeah, I agree with people saying a cameo. Nothing too big, just some small cameo like the one with Lyanna or Arthur Dayne.

Quite honestly, a good scene would be he tournament that he won at Harranhall. He would even have to speak much just a small cameo to show the story behind what started the rebellion. It would really go a long way for tv viewer to relate a name with a face. It's quite annoying explaining to my friends who Rhaegar is and who he is not. 

3 hours ago, xjlxking said:

Yeah, I agree with people saying a cameo. Nothing too big, just some small cameo like the one with Lyanna or Arthur Dayne.

Quite honestly, a good scene would be he tournament that he won at Harranhall. He would even have to speak much just a small cameo to show the story behind what started the rebellion. It would really go a long way for tv viewer to relate a name with a face. It's quite annoying explaining to my friends who Rhaegar is and who he is not. 

The show did a terrible job with introducing this character, so show watchers are still clueless over who he really is and what R+L=J means to Jon and even Dany

If he had a cameo, it would be cool to have him finding out Lyanna was the KoTLT, especially because it was probably the first time they spoke to each other

4 hours ago, xjlxking said:

Oh yea definitely a cameo. I expect no more than was done for Lyanna... Well slightly more I guess. I guess I just hope they can gracefully explain like you said the story behind the rebellion while showcasing Rhaegar's famous personality and love for Lyanna without making it too long an affair. A difficult task indeed but I pray they can do it. I just would really love to see Rhaegar end up being like the path Jon is on some way or another.

I hope not, right now Rhaegar is a mystic figure in the show, if they put him on the screen they'll ruin everything, there's no actor on earth who is fit for the role to maintan that mysterious aura

and enough with flashbacks, there's few episodes left, I don't like either to see any other Tyrion-Miss-Grey Worm useless drunk similar scenes, let's use wisely the time left, I want to see action and dragons!

• 2 weeks later...

If we never get more direct and concrete evidence for Jon being Rhaegar's son and potential heir - does that mean that Jon being Rhaegar's and Lyanna's son won't have any practical relevance for the political endgame of the whole story? Jon may never sit the IT but might ride a dragon in the fight against Winter. Hint for his parentage but no obvious and reliable evidence. Only that evidence might never be needed storywise since Jon, after having been dead, is no longer a human being who lives and loves and who has a future beyond heroic sacrifice.

I think the enormity of having been dead is grossly downplayed by the show. Jon should not simply shake this off and go on with life.

Tell me why Beric (and Lady Stoneheart in the books) still look grossly mutilated while Jon's wounds heal and scar normally, as if he had only been comatose and not, well, dead.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:41 PM, dbunting said:

Also, and lets be realistic here...no matter who they cast as him or how they show him people here will complain about it until they can't type any longer.

It can be related to almost anything happening in the show:D

Though I woud like to see Rhaegar on the screen, I would prefer he will be left off-screen for the purpose of storytelling. Rhaegar described as kinda not of this world, he was seen as an enigma during his time and later. This half-legendary character should be left to our imagination.

22 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

It can be related to almost anything happening in the show:D

Though I woud like to see Rhaegar on the screen, I would prefer he will be left off-screen for the purpose of storytelling. Rhaegar described as kinda not of this world, he was seen as an enigma during his time and later. This half-legendary character should be left to our imagination.

Couldn't agree more. People have built up these images in their heads of how the character should be and anything that strays from their vision is sacrilege.

On 8/2/2016 at 8:37 AM, Woman of War said:

Tell me why Beric (and Lady Stoneheart in the books) still look grossly mutilated while Jon's wounds heal and scar normally, as if he had only been comatose and not, well, dead.

Well, my understanding is that Beric has died and been resurrected 6 times, and he has said that every time he loses a little bit more of himself (meaning, as I understood it, not just body parts, but his humanity)

Far as Cat goes, I believe it is specifically said in the books that the reason she is the way she is is b/c she lay dead in the river for weeks before Thoros found her and resurrected her   So her body was starting to rot, and, who knows, maybe even fish or animals were biting at it. (The reason she can't talk, though, is b/c her throat was cut so deeply, as I understand it)

I think the question of "how long was a person dead" matters quite a bit.  Jon was only dead a day or two at most.  Cat was dead for weeks, and Beric has died and been resurrected 6 times, and we don't even know how much total time he's spent dead.

Just my thoughts.

I guess you are right, Cron, but at least we should see some kind of "health improvement" in Beric (and book Cat) - or Jon's wounds should stay open.

This is of course off topic but I am seriously bothered why in the books death and resurrection are described as coming at a very high cost while in Jon's case in the show he gets up, has some ale and is like he always was. Having been dead? Get a grip and relax!

Meaning: if the show treated someone resurrected like the books did so far then I would not see a happy ending with Jon as king with a happy future. In that case Jon's paternity would only be relevant for his magical abilities in fighting the Others or his potential dragon riding but Rhaegar as his father needs not be common knowledge and be accepted by everybody. Jon in that case would probably never sit the IT.

But that is all speculation and nothing but the result of my frustration about how the show deals with the topic of resurrection.

Archived