His Name is (translation; Frozen-Fire)

On 18 July 2016 at 2:00 PM, balerionsteel. said:

Obsidian, often referred to by the common folk as, "dragons glass". The Valyrians had a word for it which translated to "frozen-fire"

heres hoping the valyrian word for it is a bad ass name and its Jon's. 

Oh God, hope not. Why do so many people seem to want every single prophecy or meaningful thing in the story to just be all about Jon?

Its such a vast and wide reaching story. I feel it would be a real letdown and really poor storytelling if the whole thing all revolved around just one person.

On 7/19/2016 at 6:26 PM, Gaz0680 said:

Oh God, hope not. Why do so many people seem to want every single prophecy or meaningful thing in the story to just be all about Jon?

Its such a vast and wide reaching story. I feel it would be a real letdown and really poor storytelling if the whole thing all revolved around just one person.

Well, it is called "A Song Of Ice And Fire", Rhaegar in the book said "His is the song of ice and fire" when referring to his son, thinking he was the Prince Who Was Promised, but actually Jon IS Ice and Fire, so.....

On July 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM, Gaz0680 said:

Because Jon is the main character that ties everything together. Ice and Fire. His is the title of the entire series. 

7 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Well, it is called "A Song Of Ice And Fire", Rhaegar in the book said "His is the song of ice and fire" when referring to his son, thinking he was the Prince Who Was Promised, but actually Jon IS Ice and Fire, so.....

But In Dany's dream, is Rhaegar with Lyanna or Elia?

I reckon he's with Elia... Or maybe He's with someone Dany has never known before. That's why she can't put a real face or name on her...?

1 hour ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

But In Dany's dream, is Rhaegar with Lyanna or Elia?

I reckon he's with Elia... Or maybe He's with someone Dany has never known before. That's why she can't put a real face or name on her...?

Yeah, it was with Elia, talking about Aegon, if I remember correctly. The point was, Rhaegar was already obsessing over the Ice and Fire thing, so he may have felt the only reason to be with Lyanna was to fulfill his own destiny of fathering the Prince Who Was Promised.

49 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Yeah, it was with Elia, talking about Aegon, if I remember correctly. The point was, Rhaegar was already obsessing over the Ice and Fire thing, so he may have felt the only reason to be with Lyanna was to fulfill his own destiny of fathering the Prince Who Was Promised.

Yeah... But I also wanted to say that perhaps Rhaegar was in fact with Lyanna but as Daenery's dreams seem confusing for her, she might have seen Rhaegar and a faceless lady with him... Not really a faceless woman but a person she hasn't heard about before... Don't know...

9 hours ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Yeah... But I also wanted to say that perhaps Rhaegar was in fact with Lyanna but as Daenery's dreams seem confusing for her, she might have seen Rhaegar and a faceless lady with him... Not really a faceless woman but a person she hasn't heard about before... Don't know...

Here's the full passage:

The man had her brother's hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."

I really doubt that was Lyanna nursing another woman's baby.

On 7/18/2016 at 0:00 AM, balerionsteel. said:

Obsidian, often referred to by the common folk as, "dragons glass". The Valyrians had a word for it which translated to "frozen-fire"

heres hoping the valyrian word for it is a bad ass name and its Jon's. 

I think that's a cool thought.

Although I favor Aejon, I would prefer what you are saying over yet another Aegon, or Aemon, or whatever.

I would prefer nearly any NEW name over any of the many possible "retreads," and if they give us the word for "frozen fire" and say that's Jon's name, I'd be fine with that (Hey, who knows, maybe the word for "frozen fire" is Aejon!)

1 hour ago, Cron said:

I think that's a cool thought.

Although I favor Aejon, I would prefer what you are saying over yet another Aegon, or Aemon, or whatever.

I would prefer nearly any NEW name over any of the many possible "retreads," and if they give us the word for "frozen fire" and say that's Jon's name, I'd be fine with that (Hey, who knows, maybe the word for "frozen fire" is Aejon!)

My other theory is that his name is just Jon...haha as a book reader, I never understood why people didn't think rhaegar would want his son named after his childhood best friend (Jon Connington). Targ King has done it before with Aegon V naming his heir Duncan after his Kingsguard and friend.

however in the show I am adamant she whispered sow thing with an A. But your right something new would be nice there are plenty of targ names that never became Kings. Or Aenys II I could bare..Daemon or Dareon would be historically cool, there are a lot, aemond etc.

8 hours ago, balerionsteel. said:

My other theory is that his name is just Jon...haha as a book reader, I never understood why people didn't think rhaegar would want his son named after his childhood best friend (Jon Connington). Targ King has done it before with Aegon V naming his heir Duncan after his Kingsguard and friend.

however in the show I am adamant she whispered sow thing with an A. But your right something new would be nice there are plenty of targ names that never became Kings. Or Aenys II I could bare..Daemon or Dareon would be historically cool, there are a lot, aemond etc.

Great stuff, really.  I've seen a lot of people argue that "Jon" (or any derivation of same) is off the table b/c "Jon" is nothing more than what Ned used as a cover, based on his connection to Jon Arryn, but as you point out, Rhaegar has a connection to a "Jon" too:  Jon Connington.

Awesome.

I'm not even sure the name is relevant. They might not have said it precisely because it doesn't matter what he was named, he's Jon, son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. I don't believe he's legitimate personally, but whether you think he's a Targ because there was a secret marriage or a Snow (or more accurately, a Sand), the point is that he identifies as Jon. If he'd been named something Targ-y I very much doubt he'd suddenly be claiming it for two reasons. One, it would be out of character and two it would be super confusing for show casuals if he suddenly stopped being Jon and started being Aejon Targaryen or whatever. It is a TV show, first and foremost.

Archived