Bakker: The Great Ordeal SPOILER THREAD pt. II

kuenjato

There's something that's been bothering me about that reveal about the Tusk.  How to reconcile that it came from the Inchies but apparently also contains literally true information about the Hundred Gods in Earwa?  Is it just that the Inchies were like the authors of our ancient scriptures piecing together different writings and then just threw in the stuff they needed to be in there?

Well, if we assume that the Nonmen created the Hundred Gods which resulted in damnation across all of creation (not just Earwa), the Inchoroi might have encountered or become aware of the Hundred before death (experiments which breached the Outside?) and then become aware of their own damnation. Or the Inverse Fire showed them what awaits, and from that they extracted more information.

Alternatively, given that c. 1,000 years (maybe less) pass between Arkfall and the Breaking of the Gates, and the Tusk seems to have been created shortly before the latter, the Inchoroi extracted reliable information on the Hundred from their Nonmen allies during the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars.

Speaking of the Inverse Fire, Nau-Cayuti and Shae both have to look upwards to see it, and it sits within its own tunnel or hallway, since Nau-Cayuti walks into the Inverse-Fire room and then walks out into the No-God room as part of the sacrifice-line.

So it's definitely on a monitor or screen from when the Ark was oriented properly, right?  Since the Inchies had no magic prior to arriving on Earwa, how does the Inverse Fire look at Hell?  Is there some mechanical means by which to interface or interact between reality and the Outside?

7 minutes ago, Damned with the Wind said:

So it's definitely on a monitor or screen from when the Ark was oriented properly, right?  Since the Inchies had no magic prior to arriving on Earwa, how does the Inverse Fire look at Hell?  Is there some mechanical means by which to interface or interact between reality and the Outside?

Yeah, I've been wondering about this for years.

Why I'm still wondering if the Inverse Fire is more a goad than a revelation....

4 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Yeah, I've been wondering about this for years.

Why I'm still wondering if the Inverse Fire is more a goad than a revelation....

Well, I've been thinking on this also and I think the boatman's songs is where the answer is. In the songs he refers to the "starving sky" multiple times, and is the reason the Nonmen dug out the Mansion and went so deep. To avoid the starving sky, ergo, damnation/gaze of the Gods. 

And when we see the IF, after all the speculating, it's simply a ceiling of flame. And who's standing there staring at the "starving sky"? Nonmen. Its most certainly a goad.

On 7/26/2016 at 5:17 AM, Grizzly Mormont said:

Fuck i have no idea why i love this series. I understand approximately 12% of each book. 

I'm at about 5.7% And im not even sure i love this series anymore. The final chapter might be my favorite, as it seems to have been written in a style harking back to the original trilogy. 

Wondering what the general consensus here is in regards to this book. Worth the wait, or has Bakker gone off the deep end?

1 hour ago, Relic said:

I'm at about 5.7% And im not even sure i love this series anymore. The final chapter might be my favorite, as it seems to have been written in a style harking back to the original trilogy. 

Wondering what the general consensus here is in regards to this book. Worth the wait, or has Bakker gone off the deep end?

My personal view is that it is the most inconsistent of the series, though that's following a trend (prior to this WLW was probably the most inconsistent). The best parts are as good as anything Bakker has ever written in his life, full of great haunting imagery, good weaving of philosophical points with psychological horror, and interesting plot choices that reward in a good finish. The worst are really as bad as Disciple of the Dog - poor characterization with plot points that go no where, badly edited writing, unclear resolutions that leave the actual life or death of someone unclear for no good reason, and absurdly convenient resolutions of long storylines that feel about as satisfying as 'rocks fall, everyone dies'. 

Ishterebinth was REALLY good. I think I've reread the Ishterebinth portions like five times.  Akka & Mimara's portions were interesting.   Ordeal, more like BOREdeal (aside from when the nuke drops) and MEH-memn instead of Momemn. 

I'd rank it better than WLW.

Archived