Fantasy Football 2016

Whiskeyjack

Had a draft tonight and made a trade just after it.  I thought at the time I won the trade, but running it through a draft analyzer online, it says I lost it, by a lot. 

Trading partner is a big Raiders fan.  I have Latavius Murray, Michael Crabtree, and Bilal Powel, he has Matt Forte, Mike Evans, and DeAndre Washington.  So I proposed sending Crabtree and Powell for Evans and Washington.  Figured I got the best player in Evans, but Powell is worth more than Washington in a vacuum and we both get our handcuff.  As far as the draft goes, Evans was his third round pick, and I'm trading a 7th and 9th for a 3rd and a 10th.  I was stuck between Evans and Allen with the 2nd pick of the third round.  (Drafted Julio second of course, and Evans will be a really nice flex, Ingram in the second, if you're curious).

I think Evans has a bounce back year, and we both got running back injury protection, so I think neither of us is going to be worse off, but I wonder if I offered too much.  Powell is pretty much the 1A in NJ and Forte is older and coming off an injury.  On the other hand, I took a better starter from his lineup, so there's that.

Thoughts?

I'll play in Dynasty if it gets up and running again, and I appear to have been autodrafted into Thunderdome, so I'll play that as well. Sorry to anyone I disappointed by not being around/responding re: other leagues - I love playing in the board leagues, but I haven't been on the board almost at all this past year, and I did kind of need a break - think I played in 7 leagues last year and it was just overload.

This is my office league draft; 10 team. Start: QB, 2 WR, 2 RB, WR/RB, TE, K, DST. Since I've put very little into fantasy this year (partly through inertia and partly through wanting a break for a year), any thoughts would be good.

QB: Andrew Luck (Tyrod Taylor)
WR: Antonio Brown, Allen Robinson (Jeremy Maclin, Donte Moncrief)
RB: Devonta Freeman, Thomas Rawls (Frank Gore, Matt Jones, Justin Forsett)
TE: Martellus Bennett (Dwayne Allen)
DF: Minnesota
K :  Dan Bailey and his Acid Face

I think this draft was a little weird, but I took Brown with the #1 overall pick, got Freeman/Robinson at 20/21, and then Luck/Rawls at 40/41 (with Carlos Hyde still on the board, who I might like better than Rawls, but the concussion this week spooked me a little?). Christine Michael was undrafted, and I kind of want to stash him, but I have three hypothetical starting RBs on my bench, and it seemed like a smarter play to snag Forsett than a handcuff.

15 minutes ago, BLU-RAY said:

Christine Michael was undrafted, and I kind of want to stash him, but I have three hypothetical starting RBs on my bench, and it seemed like a smarter play to snag Forsett than a handcuff.

Looks like a really strong team other than RB2.

Go drop Forsett for Michael.

Pretty sure someone has scooped Coleman, I might try and offer a deal for him, but fair enough. Ditching Forsett for Michael. I hate standard-sized rosters.

Bridgewater's gruesome injury sounds quite serious.  Fantasy Defense streamers are going to have a field day this year with whoever faces the Vikings.  Poor AP is going to face 12 man fronts - yes, it will seem like guys who aren't even playing are just waiting for him at the line of scrimmage.

This is the first year I'm in a league using ESPN as the host.  Is it just me or does their website suck compared to CBS and yahoo when it comes to projections?  All I can find is a season long number, instead of weekly or next 4 games projections.  Not sure if there's less information available on ESPN, I'm missing something obvious, or their interface is sub par.

Or are those projections on yahoo pretty meaningless anyway?

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

This is the first year I'm in a league using ESPN as the host.  Is it just me or does their website suck compared to CBS and yahoo when it comes to projections?  All I can find is a season long number, instead of weekly or next 4 games projections.  Not sure if there's less information available on ESPN, I'm missing something obvious, or their interface is sub par.

Or are those projections on yahoo pretty meaningless anyway?

I prefer Yahoo as well, but I'm not sure the projections are any better. I guess the thing you have to keep in mind is that number is averaged over 16 games, so the variance can be pretty crazy. I'm pretty sure ESPN throws up weekly projections as well, but maybe that doesn't happen until closer to the start of the season.  

Had a ten team, first year, thirty round (with IDPs) dynasty draft tonight.  Scoring is pretty standard outside of .5 PPR.  Not getting into defensive scoring because it'd take forever.  Format is 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1FLEX, 1K, 1DL, 1DB, 1LB.  Also, apparently there was a limit of eight on RBs and WRs.  I only add that because I hit the RB limit in the early twenties right as I was about to add Starks as a handcuff.

I had the 9th pick.  Also not listing the flex below since it could be WR/RB/TE.  Do the math.  It's one of my bench guys.  Also, bench guys are not listed in draft order.

QB: Matthew Stafford (Brock Osweiler)
Kind of treated QB with a collective shrug after I missed out on Rodgers, Newton, Luck, and Wilson (they went earlier than I was willing to draft them).  Stafford is reasonably young and Detroit seems to want to air it out more this year, so whatever.  No idea if Osweiler will amount to anything, but he's in a good situation in Houston.  

RB: Eddie Lacy, Doug Martin (Jeremy Langford, Charles Sims, Justin Forsett, Melvin Gordon, Jerick McKinnon, Kenneth Dixon)
Lacy was a bit of a reach at 11, but the first round was very RB heavy and he was the best young RB left on the board.  Hoping for a bounce-back year.  Forsett somehow fell to the 21st round, which felt like a steal even in dynasty, as he's a starting RB.  I actually drafted him a couple of rounds after Dixon.  Langford and Gordon are both starters with decent potential.  McKinnon and Dixon are backups with future potential.  Sims is a handcuff.  If Lacy gets back to form and Martin stays healthy, this could be a pretty good group now and going forward.

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Keenan Allen (Donte Moncrief, Torrey Smith, Josh Gordon, Kevin White, Breshad Perriman, Josh Doctson)
Very happy with my WR draft.  I got two of the top young WRs in the league in Hopkins and Allen, a guy who looked like a stud with Luck last year in Moncrief, a guy who could become a star again in Gordon, three young guys with star potential in White, Perriman, and Doctson, and the number one receiver in a Chip Kelly offense in Smith.  A big part of dynasty is building toward the future, and I did that with my WRs.  Hopefully this core also lets me build out my weaker positions next year in the draft and also via trades.

TE: Zach Miller (Jordan Cameron, Tyler Higbee)
Drafted Cameron on accident when my pick came up sooner than expected and didn't have time to research an IDP.  Whatever.  He's depth.  Miller should be a solid starting TE, and Hibgee is the young guy with potential.

K: Robbie Gould

DB: Landon Collins (Ron Parker, Karl Joseph)

DL: JJ Watt (Ndamukong Suh, DeForest Buckner)

LB: Deone Bucannon (Paul Poslusny)
Didn't focus as much on my defensive players since we can only start three.  Obviously grabbed Watt, a general IDP stud, but for the most part didn't focus too much on youth here.  I figure I can worry about that later, as my skill position guys are mostly 27 or younger and on the upswing.  

---

This was probably the most interesting draft I've ever done simply with the addition of the IDPs.  One guy in our league was on autodraft, and when he drafted a defensive player in round eight it caused a run of them over the next few rounds.  I utilized that mostly to grab a bunch of younger skill position guys with upside that fell as a result.  This being the first draft I've done with IDPs, I didn't want to reach for a ton of them while mostly unfamiliar with the scoring and how much they actually produce on game days.  I figure I'll use this season as a gauge for what their value is and then go into next season more informed and able to target the guys I really like.  Plus, we can only start three a game, one at each position, so their value is somewhat minimized compared to WRs and RBs, who can be flexed.  

All in all, I think the draft went well for me.  I don't know what my ceiling is this year, but I put together a nice team for the future, and if several of my bench receivers or backs pan out, I'll have a ton of trade ammo, and this is likely a league that will see a lot of trades.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You, how do I look at those draft recaps? I always get a good giggle out of those things.

Go to the draft tab. Draft recap breaks down each pick in order, and Draft grade gives you a little writeup on each teams strengths and weaknesses as well as projections as to where they are likely to finish.

I need help salvaging a horrible draft in which I somehow hit 'max bid' on TY Hilton; dropping 50 on him and having 11 dollars left to spend on 11 spots.

Fitzpatrick, Gurley, Riddick, B. Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Hilton, Cook are my current starters.  Early trade offers are coming in to give me peanuts on the dollar and I need some hive mind advice.

Gurley and Travis Benjamin would net me Langford and Edelman.  This only swaps out my RB 1 for a lesser one so I see no reason to accept it.

Nelson for E Sanders and Frank Gore.  This one tempts me more because I get a RB2 that is at least going to occasionally start, even if he is over the hill.  I love Sanders and he is in contract year but have a hard time seeing Seimian getting him the ball enough.

What do I do?

12 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

Gurley and Travis Benjamin would net me Langford and Edelman.  This only swaps out my RB 1 for a lesser one so I see no reason to accept it.

Nelson for E Sanders and Frank Gore.  This one tempts me more because I get a RB2 that is at least going to occasionally start, even if he is over the hill.  I love Sanders and he is in contract year but have a hard time seeing Seimian getting him the ball enough.

What do I do?

Keep working trade possibilities. I don't particularly like either of the first two. I wouldn't bite on either of those.

Archived