Fantasy Football 2016

Whiskeyjack

52 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I would try to sell.  I would ask a lot.  Can you get LeVeon Bell?

That's doubtful. I would certainly take that if it was offered.  I need more depth at receiver if Sammy Watkins is gonna have a lingering foot injury and was eyeing Cobb and Manny Sanders on another team. Cobb has the better qb but I already have Jordy on my team and don't particularly care two have two receivers from the same team. D Thomas battling an injury now so Sanders may be a better bet.  I just don't know how much more Ware is gonna get the bulk of the carries so it's a risky decision.

Looks like there's some symmetry in my results so far.

Westeros A:  3-0
Experts:  2-1
Westeros D:  2-1
Westeros C:  1-2
Thunderdome:  1-2
Westeros B:  0-3

Feel okay about it though.  Experts and W-A are the leagues I care about the most, and Thunderdome the least, so can't complain about the way things have gone.  And I still like most of my teams. 

• 3 weeks later...

Having a solid season so far.

Westeros A:  4-2, 1st place, 2nd in points
Westeros C:  4-2, 2nd place, 1st in points
Westeros D:  4-2, 2nd place, 1st in points
Experts:  4-2, 3rd place, 3rd in points
Thunderdome:  2-4, 12th place, 1st in points
Westeros B:  1-5, 10th place, 7th in points

Feel really good about the top 4 teams there.  They're all rolling along well.

Thunderdome is really strange.  My team is only 2-4, but I have the highest point total in the league.  And I'd be 59-31 if I played every team every week.  So just some horrible luck, I guess.

Who would you rather have on your bench at this point going forward?  I am not terribly likely to have to start either, barring injury.  And trades are few and far between in this 12-team shallow bench, standard roster league.  QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DT and 6 bench slots.

Matt Forte or Corey Coleman?

If it helps, this is a money league where I am already 0-6 (middle of the pack on total points, 100 points more scored against than anyone else).  Playoffs are unlikely.  But there is a payout every week for weekly high score, even during playoff weeks - even for eliminated teams.  So it is more about scoring big at this point.

Is there a mystery box option? I would keep Forte if you absolutely need him for a bye-week fill in...otherwise I'd probably keep Coleman. You're probably more likely to find Forte's floor rather than Coleman's ceiling on waivers. Especially with the glut of RB injuries going on.

• 1 month later...

Playoffs in the leagues where I'm playing.

Experts
Whiskeyjack (1) - bye
Mya (2) - bye
Week (3) vs. POTN (6)
Jaime (4) vs. Grozeng (5)

Westeros A
JJ Lannister (1) - bye
Jaime (2) - bye
Week (3) vs. Whiskeyjack (6)
Bronn (4) vs. POTN (5)

Westeros B
Lord Lyman (1) - bye
Dunknegg (2) - bye
Dbunting (3) vs. Mexal (6)
Manhole (4) vs. Jace (5)

Westeros C
Jaime (1) - bye
Bronn (2) - bye
Mudguard (3) vs. Whiskeyjack (6)
Mcbigski (4) vs. Pyroclastic Flow (5)

Westeros D
Whiskeyjack (1) - bye
Week (2) - bye
JJ Lannister (3) vs. Briantw (6)
Dracarys (4) vs. Pyroclastic Flow (5)

Thunderdome
Bluray (1) - bye
Slurktan (2) - bye
Boiled Leather (3) vs. Bronn (6)
Mya (4) vs. Jaxom (5)

By the way, anyone who questions why I think we should bias toward players with longer tenures in our leagues when assigning people to Experts needs to have a clear picture of what happened this year.

There was someone who goes by the board handle Hugorfonics.  As far as I can tell he started Chase Daniel from week 8 on.  As far as I can tell he didn't change his starting lineup at all after week 10. 

Experts is hard.  Getting stuck without sufficient backup QB is really bad.  He had to leave the draft early and got a crappo bench.  But respect for the game DEMANDS that in that league, more than any other, you fight it out to the end to avoid giving anyone an advantage.  Make trades.  Make transactions.  Do what can be done.  Or if you can't, contact the Commish and get a co-manager assigned.  Old-timers know this and respect the league.  In truth, this is something one should NOT have to be told.

I am sure Hugorfonics is a fine human with many praise-worthy attributes.  But Experts is a commitment.  And he failed at it.  

This is why I believe the sanctity of the league demands a bias toward those who've been around a few seasons.

30 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

By the way, anyone who questions why I think we should bias toward players with longer tenures in our leagues when assigning people to Experts needs to have a clear picture of what happened this year.

There was someone who goes by the board handle Hugorfonics.  As far as I can tell he started Chase Daniel from week 8 on.  As far as I can tell he didn't change his starting lineup at all after week 10.

Probably a bad sign right at the start, when we were forced to change his team name to the Trader Apes.

It is somewhat remarkable that he had both the lowest points scored (by about 350 points) AND the highest points against. The Apes' high score was less than Horn Hill and Brax scored on average AND everyone was really gunning for the Apes (as if that is something you could choose to do week in and week out). That's how you go winless on the year.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

Experts is hard.  Getting stuck without sufficient backup QB is really bad.  He had to leave the draft early and got a crappo bench.  But respect for the game DEMANDS that in that league, more than any other, you fight it out to the end to avoid giving anyone an advantage.  Make trades.  Make transactions.  Do what can be done.  Or if you can't, contact the Commish and get a co-manager assigned.  Old-timers know this and respect the league.  In truth, this is something one should NOT have to be told.

I am sure Hugorfonics is a fine human with many praise-worthy attributes.  But Experts is a commitment.  And he failed at it.  

This is why I believe the sanctity of the league demands a bias toward those who've been around a few seasons.

Agreed Bronn. Trying to keep the insane number of roster spots filled with respectable players, especially on byes, is a constant, weekly challenge. Hell, one spends the entire draft feeling nothing but anxiety about addressing all these needs. 

I like the role Experts has among the board leagues. It makes all the other ones a bit more meaningful and for those playing in it, as we saw this year, every week, every single last point you score matters. It's got a nice 10 year history and for the most part those in it this past year were really engaged with what had to be a record number of trades (only 85% of which involved Jace). Your appreciation for what Experts is matches my own and I hope you save yourself by winning another league because you're the kind of person I want sticking around. 

I was not going to say anything about another player but I spent the first 6 weeks offering him QBs for T.Y. Hilton and when he finally responded he offered me an I.R. Adrian Peterson for Zeke and David Johnson. It really pissed me off the last few weeks that I needed the power rankings to help me and had 1 less spot to work with when trying to gain ground on people.

Archived