Is David Eddings any good?

Illyrio Mo'Parties

23 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Hey, I still drink Budweiser, if it's what is available! That's a pretty excellent comparison, to be honest. Eddings may not compare to modern stuff, but he can still get the job done for a simple Sunday afternoon quaff.

Could be worse, I guess. You could be drinking BudLight or Coors Light. . . :P

On 4/25/2018 at 7:27 PM, Lord Patrek said:

I was a different reader then. I loved Weis and Hickman, Salvatore, Eddings, Brooks, Feist, Rawn, etc. Should we all put them in the grinder?

Doing it for the money. You think Jordan kept producing those subpar installments filled with extraneous material because all that shit was necessary for WoT to make sense? Of course, he and Tor did it because each book debuted at number 1 on the NYT list. As far as I remember, no one was complaining about Eddings back then. We ate up those books with a spoon and asked for more.

I think we should just acknowledge that pretty much everything that was popular in the eighties and through at least the mid-nineties was YA.   Trying to hold them up against adult literature is just going to make them come up short.

Well, Rawn has been working on The Captal's Tower for over a year now. Not sure how fast she's progressing, but it's on its way.

Talked to her last year and she said it was hard to get back into it after so long. 

Of course, until she turns in the manuscript, it's all moot. But at least we know for a fact that she is writing the book.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah I'll believe it when I have it in my hands.  Her dragon books I still enjoy. Pretty dark too considering when they were published.

I agree. Then again, most of the Daw Books stuff from that period was darker than the Eddings and Brooks offerings from Del Rey.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 1:03 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I still like Rawn’s “Dragon” series.  I wish she would finish the “Exiles” series but I suspect that’s a lost cause.

I forgot all about the Exiles.  I really enjoyed the first two.  Also still like the two Dragon trilogies.

Archived