The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

3 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Isn't Negan alive in the comics still? And the comics are pretty far ahead of the show right now? If that's the case, and you're waiting for Negan to drop dead, it seems like your expectations aren't realistic.

Yep. And they've actually got pretty good again. All Out War was ok, but I've really been digging it more since the time jump (about 2-3 years iirc). Negan and Rick have a pretty good dynamic in the comics as of late. If the show sticks with that storyline those two actors should do well with the material. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yep. And they've actually got pretty good again. All Out War was ok, but I've really been digging it more since the time jump (about 2-3 years iirc). Negan and Rick have a pretty good dynamic in the comics as of late. If the show sticks with that storyline those two actors should do well with the material. 

Yeah it's getting really interesting lately in the comics - especially with the Savior-remainders coming to break up Negan and Rick's bromance (and the Rick/Dwight/Negan triangle, for that matter).

2 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Isn't Negan alive in the comics still? And the comics are pretty far ahead of the show right now? If that's the case, and you're waiting for Negan to drop dead, it seems like your expectations aren't realistic.

I think it's more about waiting for something to happen (like attempt to kill Negan/carry out some sort of plan) than actually expecting Negan to drop dead.  Nothing has happened this entire season.  Rosita's backstory is practically the only thing we've learned this entire season and that took all of three minutes.  I guess meeting new groups is something?  Maybe?  Someday? 

50 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah it's getting really interesting lately in the comics - especially with the Savior-remainders coming to break up Negan and Rick's bromance (and the Rick/Dwight/Negan triangle, for that matter).

Omg, they are all friends now?  I take it Negan got out of jail.

I think I last left off when Michonne found a boat.  Or was about to take that boat somewhere.  Something about a boat. 

I just re-read issues #111-126 of the comicbook. Gimple likes sticking to the comics for big moments, and the beginning of All Out War will likely be one of them. In the comics war basically starts after Negan kills Spencer in Alexandria and Rick returns.Negan seems to only have about 8 guys with him, so Rick decides to try and have Andrea kill Negan sniper style from the belltower. But Negan has his own sniper set up along with more guys hidden around the perimeter. Things go south when Andrea has to battle a Savior in the church tower and we think she falls outta the tower only to find out later it was the Savior who fell out. Jesus shows up with 20 people from the Hilltop and Ezekiel shows up with Shiva and some peeps form the Kingdom and the Saviors retreat. Negan gives a swinging dick/helicopter metaphor to the Saviors back at the Sanctuary that goes off like a lead balloon. And then he says, "We're going to war."

So the way things are playing out in the show, it looks like Sasha is taking the place of Andrea in the failed attempt at assassinating Negan. My guess is Sasha will die. Then Negan & crew will roll up to Alexandria thinking that's where Sasha came from and there will be a small battle there between Hilltop, Kingdom, Alexandria v Saviors. Shiva will eat a Savior or two. And it'll end just like in the comics with the Saviors retreating and Negan declaring they're going to war.

It's weird but I actually liked this episode too. It wasn't mindblowing but I don't think I've been annoyed at an episode in the second half of the season.

It was nice to get an explanation for Rosita's mad skills and I was pleased it wasn't just from Abraham alone. I also liked Darryl coming to terms with his guilt over Glen.

The casting in another show curse looks like it is staying on track though. They really should have some clause where the actors can't announce it (although I totally understand why they need to promote the new show). Although I guess the show could not kill a character off for a change which would allow some suspense. I guess we should expect the death of

Morgan given Lennie James is writing, starring and directing a new show for sky atlantic

16 hours ago, dooog said:

Gave up on this show last year but just caught the latest episode at my mate's house today... looks like practically nothing has happened?? they've spent 14 dull episodes of season 7 slowly building up to another season cliffhanger. 

I believe ratings have taken a hammering so another piss poor season ending via cliffhanger could be the nail in the coffin for this show.

If they have taken a hammering on ratings - good.  Maybe they'll get their shit together.  It cannot be any more obvious that they are milking it for all its worth and it is damaging the show.  Ridiculously slow build-up, entire episodes dedicated to concepts or events that could be conveyed in 5 minutes.  I don't have a problem with the plot or what is going on in the show, just the execution and delivery.  It feels like when they realized they were the most popular show on television they wanted to see how much they could string people along and it's getting really old.  They need to quit fucking around and pick up the pace 'cause it's basically 4-5 slow episodes followed by one with some action, but you won't get resolution to that action until the next one.  I think they've pushed the 'leave the viewer wanting more' concept a little too far. 

19 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Omg, they are all friends now?  I take it Negan got out of jail.

I think I last left off when Michonne found a boat.  Or was about to take that boat somewhere.  Something about a boat. 

Well, Rick certainly wouldn't describe them as friends, but yes Negan has been consistently out to "prove his loyalty," such as it is, in the conflict with the Whisperers which is just about wrapped up.  I prefer, and I think most enthusiasts would agree, to describe their recent increased interactions as a budding bromance....of perhaps star-crossed lovers.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:59 PM, Nictarion said:

Going out on a limb here given the Negan/Rick dynamic, (as well as Carl), in the comic, (and I believe Kirkman is about 50 issues ahead of where they are now), I could envision JDM taking over Ricks role at some point.

Yes, onscreen he needs a LOT of redemption, (or as it passes in this world), to step in to that role, especially if Maggie would ever want to deal with him, but I think it's feasible that Lincoln will want to move on at some point.

Lincoln has been with it awhile now, and given that his character in the comic is so beat up, and now makes Shane look like a boy scout, I'm not sure there is any room in this world for moral posturing, even on Maggie's part,(anyone surviving at this point has done questionable things), so seeing Negan evolve and be the one to take everyone into some "promised land," is not outside the realm of possibility, IMHO.

They're not above flirting with such themes as "the dark ages," or "the holy land" of a new civilization.

But, even though Lincoln totally embraces the role and the show, enjoying it, he is going to want to move on at some point if the show continues, and JDM, (right now), is the only one with the charisma to possibly shoulder that transition.

Even Lauren Cohen I think is in doubt to stick around, as well as Danai Gurira who could take it on.

10 minutes ago, Alia of the knife said:

Going out on a limb here...

That is one damned unstable limb! ;)

Personally, I think this series is a lock for 10 seasons with Rick, Michonne, Carl, Maggie and Carol. That should bring the TV show  up to the Whisper War in the comics. Kirkman obviously would let it go for 20 seasons though. If I'm being honest, I'm not looking forward to S8 and All Out War so much as I am to S9 and seeing if they do the time jump in the show like in the comics. Prisoner Negan and Negan's attempt at redemption, interconnected communities, Rick kicking ass with a cane, Whisperers, Carol on the high seas (you know they're giving her the Michonne storyline from the comics in the show the same way they're switching out the Michonne & Andrea storylines)! That's the shit that gets me excited to see on screen. Saviors v Greater DC Area Community Coalition doesn't sound as much fun to me. Part of me is hoping they'll only do 8 episodes for AOW, but seeing how they stretched out the March to War over an entire season, I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll give us an episode or two in S8 for Negan's origin like they did the Governor.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:44 AM, S John said:

If they have taken a hammering on ratings - good.  Maybe they'll get their shit together.  It cannot be any more obvious that they are milking it for all its worth and it is damaging the show.  Ridiculously slow build-up, entire episodes dedicated to concepts or events that could be conveyed in 5 minutes.  I don't have a problem with the plot or what is going on in the show, just the execution and delivery.  It feels like when they realized they were the most popular show on television they wanted to see how much they could string people along and it's getting really old.  They need to quit fucking around and pick up the pace 'cause it's basically 4-5 slow episodes followed by one with some action, but you won't get resolution to that action until the next one.  I think they've pushed the 'leave the viewer wanting more' concept a little too far. 

Agreed, it's a slow pace, but I'm mostly okay with it because these character specific episodes in the back half of S7 have been pretty damn great. I'm talking specifically S7E11-14. I already railed on the hot garbage of S7E9, and the intro of the Heapsters in S7E10 was a mixed bag at best. But they've hit four home runs in a row since then...
S7E11 - Eugene drops a pair and finally gets a kickass attitude to match that kickass mullet.
S7E12 - Richonne apocalyptic Honeymoon roadtrip! Besides the terrible CGI deer and obvious baiting with Rick's death it was a fantastic episode.
S7E13 - Morgan unleashed! We've seen the death of his young, blonde apprentice coming basically from the moment it was shown Ezekial cared for him. But telegraphed plot points aside, watching Morgan's mental and emotional journey this episode was great.
S7E14-I've really been wishing death on Rosita this season, but finally going into her back story and seeing her get over her bitchiness towards Sasha felt like a solid bit of character development. Sasha's fate has pretty much been sealed since the actress was cast on the new Star Trek series (which will hopefully finally debut this year), and I'm glad they gave these two their own episode to work shit out. 

On 3/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

That is one damned unstable limb! ;)

Personally, I think this series is a lock for 10 seasons with Rick, Michonne, Carl, Maggie and Carol. That should bring the TV show  up to the Whisper War in the comics. Kirkman obviously would let it go for 20 seasons though. If I'm being honest, I'm not looking forward to S8 and All Out War so much as I am to S9 and seeing if they do the time jump in the show like in the comics. Prisoner Negan and Negan's attempt at redemption, interconnected communities, Rick kicking ass with a cane, Whisperers, Carol on the high seas (you know they're giving her the Michonne storyline from the comics in the show the same way they're switching out the Michonne & Andrea storylines)! That's the shit that gets me excited to see on screen. Saviors v Greater DC Area Community Coalition doesn't sound as much fun to me. Part of me is hoping they'll only do 8 episodes for AOW, but seeing how they stretched out the March to War over an entire season, I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll give us an episode or two in S8 for Negan's origin like they did the Governor.

I hope so.

And if this is how it plays out, I'll be a happy woman.:D

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, HokieStone said:

Only 3 episodes left.  Next week looks like it will be Sasha and Rosita doing their thing - I suspect that one or both will get killed/captured. That same episode, and the episode after that will see Rick and gang formalizing their alliance with the Kingdom, and Hilltop (ousting their leader), getting guns to the trash heap people, and probably bringing the women of the Oceanside into the alliance(or at least stealing their guns).  Last episode will see them taking out some of Negan's henchman.  The guy who killed Benjamin will get killed - actually, I suspect the whole team that comes to get offering from the Kingdom will get killed.  And I think at Hilltop, they'll take out Negan's right-hand man - Simon, I think his name is.  Season will end with Negan vowing to kill them all, and Rick vowing the same thing back.

Or something along those lines...

Well, I think I've been pretty close so far.  Hilltop & The Kingdom have decided to fight, more or less. They go the guns from Oceanside...I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the women there show up at the gates of Alexandria ready to fight.  Drawing out the captivity of Sasha is sort of puzzling...I don't think she really wanted to "just" commit suicide...she was asking for those things from Eugene to use as a weapon against Negan in another suicidal attack...although that begs the question of why she didn't just keep that big ass knife handy.  In any case, I don't think she was expecting a pill from Eugene.  I still think she dies next episode.  In fact, she may die offscreen...Negan and gang show up with her as a bargaining chip...she's got the bag over her head.  They turn her over to Rick, pull the bag off...and it's zombie Sasha!  Which doesn't really make any sense, as she should be making zombie sounds...but I think they pulled that on "Fear the Walking Dead" already.

Anyway, we'll see if I'm right next week and they kill Simon and the gang taking tribute from The Kingdom.  Some ancillary characters from Alexandria and Hilltop may die, but I still expect the finale will generally be seen as the first big "victory" against Negan...setting up next season.

On 3/26/2017 at 9:42 AM, Isis said:

So Rosita is like a poor man's Sarah Connor? Ok.

Damn! You're so right! I can't believe I didn't see this earlier--especially with that hat. Good call.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, Alia of the knife said:

I hope so.

And if this is how it plays out, I'll be a happy woman.:D

If that's how it plays out I want a story credit. ;)  

The thing that's sticking in my craw, is how irrational Rosita and Sasha are.... I get that they want revenge for Abraham, but how dumb are they that they think they can run into a giant power plant/warehouse facility, and find the *one* guy they want to kill, before being killed themselves????? ....So *of course* Sasha is in savior jail....they should play "easy street" until she bleeds from her ears just for being that fucking stupid..... and she's the less idiotic of the two. 

Least favourite episode of the b season. Surely there must have been a safer way of getting the coastside amazons on board than blowing things up around them, shooting at them and then rounding them all up and saying "we're taking your guns but you can join us if you want"? I felt like they were trying to draw parallels with Negan and the Saviour in terms of behaviour and bullying of weaker communities but I have no idea what they were wanting us to conclude (although other aspects of the episode have me thinking they should have gone another route). That community was just conscripted and it's fortunate none of them were hurt. Meanwhile they hand over guns to the socially inept heapsters who seem to have some kind of collective insanity going on.

Negan's attitude to rape is just as hypocritical as it was in the comic and again my issue is that they don't make it clear in either case that it is hypocritical. Worse, it feels like it's supposed to be a "he's not such a bad guy" moment. He has a harem of women (some of who are contemplating suicide) who are coerced into being his playthings via threats to people they care about. He's still a rapist even if he deludes himself into thinking he hasn't forced them. There needs to be a scene where someone calls him out on his bullshit. Sadly. Sasha doesn't know this so she can't criticise him. Maybe that's the problem - the charaters who could call him out on it don't know and the ones who do are too scared to say anything. It's a pretty bad narrative hole to get stuck in as I worry there are people watching the show thinking "Negan isn't so bad because he has zero tolerance to rape". And given some of the things that WD fans get upset about I don't think I'm being overly negative about this.

Basically there's a lot in this episode, which in the hands of a better TV writing team would have tied the episode together thematically drawing parallels between Sasha's situation, Negan's hypocrisy and the main cast storming into a society of women and taking things from them against their will. But Walking Dead is ultimately popcorn and so these things either emerge by coincidence or come out so incredibly weak that it's barely noticeable. And most of the time it's fine - this doesn't need to be "the wire" but episodes like this it would be nice for them to put a little more effort into it.

Here's hoping we don't get another ridiculous cliffhanger next week eg ones involving Sasha and Morgan.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

My money's on another ridiculous cliffhanger.

I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

I'm having trouble thinking of what would make a suitable end to the season. The war clearly is going to be hard pressed to even start so having Rick set out with his unified front wouldn't be much advance from the midseason ending. It certainly isn't going to end with the Saviours defeated. Maybe there'll be some kind of setback eg Negan gets wind of the communities allying against him (pretty easy given drunk leader on hilltop is desperate to screw Maggie and co over).

I guess the show does fine trundling along though so give us a group of characters left in peril and this time we may even be indifferent rather than angry about it.

One thing I don't give the show credit for is the fact they've made it completely separate from the spin-off. Every now and then i wonder what that side of the world is doing concurrently with events here but I never feel like I'm missing out. It would have been so easy for them to make the spin-off crossover or be essential viewing (like they do with the DC CW shows).

Archived