The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

This Negan horse is being beaten to death already. It is already boring. And considering he is to be the villain for the entire Season, and possibly next Season too, it is clearly going to be beaten for a whole lot longer.

And Rick is now a whipped dog. Clearly it will be Michonne, Rosita and Maggie doing the fighting back. With Rick being reluctantly dragged along with them.

Man what a character assassination they've done on this guy. Nebraska seems so long ago now. Whatever the hell happened to the guy who showed so much promise back then. Since then he has been an emotional pendulum, swinging from one extreme to the next. 

I wonder if it will take Judith's death to wake him from his latest farmer Rick state of passivity. Or maybe a phone call from Laurie.

11 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I just get bored when Negan's around. It's like the script writers keep copy and pasting his dialogue over and over. He doesn't ever do anything new, just keeps repeating himself in a slightly different location.

Considering they are taking most of his dialogue right from the comic, I guess he's boring in that too? Nevermind the fact that he's been in 3 episodes and one of those for 10 mins at most. You must have a really, really short attention span.

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I'm loving JDM's Negan. The only episode I haven't liked so far this season was the Kingdom one.

I don't find his leadership plausible. He  makes too many enemies. There are many men and women who would have killed him in his sleep long ago if they were in Dwight or his wife's position. Same with Rick, who could have bashed his head in with Lucille long before anyone could stop him, in the last episode.

Not all people are as easily whipped as Rick is. Many would sacrifice their lives to kill a monster like Negan. Sure, he has some sadistic followers among the Saviours. But the vast majority probably hate his guts. And his security his slack. Any number of people could have killed him easily by now, if they were just willing to sacrifice their own lives in the process.

And once he is dead, his whole setup falls apart, as it is a personality cult. If Dwight's wife kills him in his sleep, for example, it does not follow that the consequences are necessarily dire. Because without Negan, the whole house of cards collapses.

So no, I don't find this comic book villain plausible. He does not suspend my disbelief in the way that the Governor or the Terminus cannibals did.

On 11/7/2016 at 0:50 AM, Pecan said:

I liked the episode as well. I will say though that this is the third episode in a row now that's taken place in just one location and focused on just that section of the storyline. TWD has done that before, and it's fine, but I hope that isn't the whole first half of the season. 

Well, that's four for four with the one location/storyline per episode. Maybe episode five will break the pattern, but it looks like we'll just see Maggie and the Hilltop next episode.

As for episode four--it was a tough one to see Rick beaten like that. I'm not calling him "broken" like the producers of the show do in all the interviews because we know in the comics he comes back in a big way. I like how Michonne and Rosita are being poised in this episode as the ones who will likely break the subservience to Negan & the Saviors and spur Rick to revolt against Negan. I don't see them convincing Rick to rebel until mid-season at the earliest though. My guess would be All Out War won't happen until next season. They really seem to be following the comics much more closely since Gimple became showrunner, so I'm guessing these first 8 episodes will be vol 18 of the comic, "What Comes After." Then the back 8 episodes of S7 will be vol. 19, "March to War." And S8 will be "All Out War Pts 1 & 2."

Of course we've got Carol playing the Michonne role with Ezekiel and Michonne playing Andrea's role in the TV show along with Daryl and Sash thrown into the mix, so there will be deviations form the comics as there always have been, but I think the major beats will still follow closely to the four volumes of the comic.

45 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

I don't find his leadership plausible. He  makes too many enemies. There are many men and women who would have killed him in his sleep long ago if they were in Dwight or his wife's position. Same with Rick, who could have bashed his head in with Lucille long before anyone could stop him, in the last episode.

Not all people are as easily whipped as Rick is. Many would sacrifice their lives to kill a monster like Negan. Sure, he has some sadistic followers among the Saviours. But the vast majority probably hate his guts. And his security his slack. Any number of people could have killed him easily by now, if they were just willing to sacrifice their own lives in the process.

And once he is dead, his whole setup falls apart, as it is a personality cult. If Dwight's wife kills him in his sleep, for example, it does not follow that the consequences are necessarily dire. Because without Negan, the whole house of cards collapses.

So no, I don't find this comic book villain plausible. He does not suspend my disbelief in the way that the Governor or the Terminus cannibals did.

Rick has two children  (and many others he cares about) to look out for. Carl was the main reason Negan was able to break Rick in the premiere. Dwight's wife was a similar situation. People are willing to work for Negan to protect their loved one's.  And the rest are just bad people that are enjoying themselves. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Rick has two children  (and many others he cares about) to look out for. Carl was the main reason Negan was able to break Rick in the premiere. Dwight's wife was a similar situation. People are willing to work for Negan to protect their loved one's.  And the rest are just bad people that are enjoying themselves. 

It is stupid to taunt a follower in the way Negan keeps taunting Dwight about taking and enjoying his "hot" wife. That does not generate loyalty. It is unnecessary and just stupid.

10 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

It is stupid to taunt a follower in the way Negan keeps taunting Dwight about taking and enjoying his "hot" wife. That does not generate loyalty. It is unnecessary and just stupid.

Negan burned half of Dwight's face off with an iron. It's a little late to worry about inspiring his loyalty isn't it? He keeps him in line solely through having his wife.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but I've personally always enjoyed Negan as a character in the comics, and JDM was a perfect choice to play him, imo. He's completely over the top, but that's part of what I like about him. 

6 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Considering they are taking most of his dialogue right from the comic, I guess he's boring in that too? Nevermind the fact that he's been in 3 episodes and one of those for 10 mins at most. You must have a really, really short attention span.

I did say when he's around, he's like the shark in Jaws, far more interesting when you only see little bits of him. When he turns up keep his presence impactful. After Negan's big entrance, he leaves Rick and co to work it out themselves, sweat a little in his absence.

I just see no reason why this was an extra length episode, everything done here could be done in the normal allotted time. The comic that this episode was based on, Negan was in for barely half of it, literally 13/20, and that was it. It didn't drag anything like this did.

You're assuming he treats all followers this way. There are likely some that enjoy how he does business and that they gain from it. Rick and Dwight are special cases. Negan needs to know if he needs to dispose of them.  That's why he constantly tests them. If they fail any test he will merely kill them. Until they fail, he will ruthlessly use them for whatever they can generate. You're assuming he's a complete idiot and has no safeguards in place. That really doesn't compute with him still running this large organization, apparently the largest in the state or region. However, if you just don't trust the writers, I understand. Much of last season was a huge fuck up. 

I'd also add that the whole reason Rick's group was in a lot of trouble was that they killed a bunch of Saviors. Now imagine you are a regular member of the Saviors and you see this. That likely is a way Negan generates loyalty. You know if someone screws with you or kills you, revenge will be had. You're part of the biggest crew of bullies, basically and that has appeal to some.

I'm enjoying ever ep of this season so far though. However, it does seem like a totally different show than it was in past seasons. Some people just may not enjoy what it is now. But I really can't see how anyone could think this is worse than last season, which had many mistakes and aggravation. I do think they need to move on with the story line some soon. But this ep was absolutely necessary to show how their current life works and everyone's mindset during it.

I enjoyed the episode. I thought the best exchange was Negan telling Rick to change the way he was looking at him :rofl:

Rick still gets those crazy I want to kill you eyes.

Spencer is a d-bag whom was probably the bully until he got punched in the nose as a kid. I was hoping Rick would kick his ass at the end. I enjoyed the Shane/Lori moment Rick shared. Feels so long ago when they were on the show. Next week looks like a Carl/Enid snoozer from that perspective.  Curious to see what's going on at Hilltop and get Jesus back into the mix. Now that the guns are gone it looks like Rick et al are due for their seasonal recon mission gone-bad while hunting for weapons.

On 11/15/2016 at 5:13 AM, The BlackBear said:

I just see no reason why this was an extra length episode, everything done here could be done in the normal allotted time. The comic that this episode was based on, Negan was in for barely half of it, literally 13/20, and that was it. It didn't drag anything like this did.

Longer episode = more commercials. 

Am I the only one who thought the entire guns confiscation plotline was ridiculous? Surely the smart thing to do would have been to bury at least half of your tremendously large arsenal in the woods, and then destroy the inventory list. That way, once Negan arrives, you can give him everything in the armory, while leaving him none the wiser about your remaining stash.

Sorry, but this whole storyline was just ridiculous. We know that in the comics there is eventually all out war with Negan. How the heck are they going to stock up on guns again when even Ezekiel's warriors ride around with medieval swords and lances?

And what's the point of having Eugene manufacture ammo, when you no longer have any guns? Stupid.

41 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Surely the smart thing to do would have been to bury at least half of your tremendously large arsenal in the woods, and then destroy the inventory list. That way, once Negan arrives, you can give him everything in the armory, while leaving him none the wiser about your remaining stash.

As was explained pretty clearly in the episode, they have to return at least all of the weapons that they took from Negan because they can't chance that he is aware of exactly everything they took.  And if they hold back any of their own weapons they run the risk of being discovered with them at a later point, either in a chance encounter outside of Alexandria, or on some other surprise visit by Negan.

It sucks, but it is a measured decision, and hardly ridiculous considering the consequences. 

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Am I the only one who thought the entire guns confiscation plotline was ridiculous? Surely the smart thing to do would have been to bury at least half of your tremendously large arsenal in the woods, and then destroy the inventory list. That way, once Negan arrives, you can give him everything in the armory, while leaving him none the wiser about your remaining stash.

Sorry, but this whole storyline was just ridiculous. We know that in the comics there is eventually all out war with Negan. How the heck are they going to stock up on guns again when even Ezekiel's warriors ride around with medieval swords and lances?

And what's the point of having Eugene manufacture ammo, when you no longer have any guns? Stupid.

I think we're supposed to take away that more guns and probably ammo are buried in that third grave that they pointed out.  I'm curious to see where they go with the second half of this season.  Without the assumption that the saviors don't have a lot of guns, a lot of the stuff from the comics pre-all out war wouldn't make a lot of sense.  

Archived