Baratheons are quite unsympathetic really

Valens

38 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

It's a flaw of mine I am trying to overcome.

I mean seriously, how can someone compare human beings with cancer cells? That is scary and disgusting. That is wrong in so many levels.

36 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

if you would have said "people who compare human beings to cancer cells are like cancer cells and should not be responded to" you would finally be able to understand their position lol. That is, quite literally, exactly what they are saying only change "don't reply to" to "commit genocide upon"

You are right. It is funny.

:lmao:I like that one. But seriously now, the only way someone has to change the world is to kill everyone else? I am not sure but this seems to imply that genocide is ok as long as you don't like the people you kill.

21 minutes ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

Just some examples,

He only uses the knife Jon gave him as a young boy, not using any of the fancy ones he has as a king

Spent days along jons deathbed telling him stories and trying to make him feel better.

Called down the hit on daenerys while he was daying

Sent his maester to help Selmy insted of taking care of his own important wounds.

18 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

He forgave the targ loyalists and let most keep their lands

He showed Balon mercy

Pardoned the Stormlands' Lords  that betrayed him.

Didn't destroyed Iron Isles.

Hadn't killed Dany and Viserys.

3 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I mean seriously, how can someone compare human beings with cancer cells? That is scary.

:lmao:I like that one. But seriously now, the only way someone has to change the world is to kill everyone else? I am not sure but this seems to imply that genocide is ok as long as you don't like the people you kill.

Pardoned the Stormlands'  that betrayed him.

Didn't destroyed Iron Isles.

Keep supporting slavery & loving the Ghiscari :D

29 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

if you would have said "people who compare human beings to cancer cells are like cancer cells and should not be responded to" you would finally be able to understand their position lol. That is, quite literally, exactly what they are saying only change "don't reply to" to "commit genocide upon"

You are right. It is funny.

I love the smell of dead slavers in the morning...

1:14

Clearly a character meant to be a good medieval person with flaws turned bigger if pressed to a life he dislikes (like 80% of good people in the dark ages of europe)

Not holy good like Baelor or Tommen, not honorable good like Ned or Jon... just good enough, far veeeeery far from evil

9 hours ago, Señor de la Tormenta said:

Just some examples,

He only uses the knife Jon gave him as a young boy, not using any of the fancy ones he has as a king

Spent days along jons deathbed telling him stories and trying to make him feel better.

Called down the hit on daenerys while he was daying

Sent his maester to help Selmy insted of taking care of his own important wounds.

- Robert saw Jon as a father. Even the worse of Aholes tend to mellow down with their dad
- Calling up a hit on Danny was cruel and stupid in the first place
- Selmy is a frigging living legend. Getting him at his side at that time of rebellion scored him brownie points

We're talking here about a man who

- whored his way throughout his entire life, even when Lyanna was alive
- he soiled his brother's bed in his wedding day
- he ridiculed his bastard son in front of Viserys

Don't take me wrong, I dont think that Robert is cruel. I think he's too emotionally basic to be kind or cruel. He's a person whose too dominated by his instincts and urges to be anything

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Even when she was alive they were not married.

Wut?

She was promised to him and him to her. His whoring caused Lyanna grief as shown in her discussion with Eddard

Edric Storm would write to King's Landing to thank his father for the gifts, but upon receiving the letters Robert would laugh and ask Varys what he had sent that year

16 hours ago, OuttaOldtown said:

No more hypocritical than you pardoning Robert because you like him, I despise the culture of Slavers Bay and have ZERO sympathy. I don't really care what it makes me. Yes, Elia and her children are different and mean more to me than every piece of shit Ghiscari in SB. Kill em all! :D

Touche! B) People can't see past their "girlie crushes" on Robert to see that the man was in reality far from that GRAND as they think. I mean, when NED, who had grown up with him practically, had to leave KL and go back to the North because he was so PISSED at Robert, what more proof do you want? The man was a swine. Yes, he was a great warrior, yes, he had been handsome and charismatic and bold-but so what? So were some of SS's officers and soldiers, doesn't mean they were noble. Of course they weren't. Only thing that might not be negative about King Robert is that he never got over Lyanna and lived in a loveless marriage, with children that were not really his. And I do pity him for that, but that's not enough for me to like him.

Robbie B was just in the wrong place. He was a warrior and he rusted withought a fight. He was a flawed person but not malicious.

I also have a deep simpathy for Stannis. he used to be in the shadow of his more bright and successful brother but he never hated them. He is the best example of how an obsession with the idea of doing right could lead a person to downfall. He is a really tragic figure.

Robert had some good qualities, but I don’t think you can really overlook the fact that he beat and sexually assaulted his wife. He also neglected his children (tbf, if Joffery was my son I might neglect him too).

Also, as a ruler he was a bit George W Bush, i.e. he showed no interest in ruling and was self-serving. That’s probably better than a ruler who did take an interest, but was malicious/mad/cruel, but it’s still not really good enough.

All in all, he reminds me of the kind of thuggish type you know from the local pub. Might be fun to have a drink with, but you wouldn’t want him in charge of anything too important, and certainly would warn your sister about.

40 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

Robert had some good qualities, but I don’t think you can really overlook the fact that he beat and sexually assaulted his wife. He also neglected his children (tbf, if Joffery was my son I might neglect him too).

Also, as a ruler he was a bit George W Bush, i.e. he showed no interest in ruling and was self-serving. That’s probably better than a ruler who did take an interest, but was malicious/mad/cruel, but it’s still not really good enough.

All in all, he reminds me of the kind of thuggish type you know from the local pub. Might be fun to have a drink with, but you wouldn’t want him in charge of anything too important, and certainly would warn your sister about.

Ha ha, good comparison. His attitude towards Dany also is like Bush felt about Saddam and his family. "Just kill the bastards!" He wasn't interested in wether it was right or not, his own personal vendetta had to be satisfied. And this is exactly the same as with Robert and his feelings against Rhaegar and his family.

10 minutes ago, Valens said:

He wasn't interested in wether it was right or not, his own personal vendetta had to be satisfied. And this is exactly the same as with Robert and his feelings against Rhaegar and his family.

True, although his attitude towards Dany was mixed with a certain pragmatism, or at least he was right by accident – Dany is now in possession of three dragons and a massive army (if she comes back from her spirit quest anyway). Granted, he had no way of knowing that turn of events would come to pass, but it turns out Dany was a threat. Agreed though that his hatred of Rhaegar and the Targaryens was a major motivation. Also, there is a certain moral ambiguity of ordering a hit on a pregnant teenager on the off chance she’ll be a threat one day.

Again, to be fair, Robert did go back on that once he was on his way out, and that does display the contradictions in Robert’s character. He was an angry and sometimes vicious bloke, but there was some good in there. Ned clearly saw it, and that can be seen in the way he thinks of the “old” vs the “new” Robert. He may idealise the young Robert, but he clearly thinks he’s become corrupted over time. Every now and then sees flashes of the “old” Robert as he remembers him. This displays a duality of character.

4 minutes ago, Shouldve Taken The Black said:

True, although his attitude towards Dany was mixed with a certain pragmatism, or at least he was right by accident – Dany is now in possession of three dragons and a massive army (if she comes back from her spirit quest anyway). Granted, he had no way of knowing that turn of events would come to pass, but it turns out Dany was a threat. Agreed though that his hatred of Rhaegar and the Targaryens was a major motivation. Also, there is a certain moral ambiguity of ordering a hit on a pregnant teenager on the off chance she’ll be a threat one day.

Again, to be fair, Robert did go back on that once he was on his way out, and that does display the contradictions in Robert’s character. He was an angry and sometimes vicious bloke, but there was some good in there. Ned clearly saw it, and that can be seen in the way he thinks of the “old” vs the “new” Robert. He may idealise the young Robert, but he clearly thinks he’s become corrupted over time. Every now and then sees flashes of the “old” Robert as he remembers him. This displays a duality of character.

No, he wasn't all bad, it's just that his bad qualities were so...strong, vile. Of course Ned would have no loved him at all if he was all bad. And thats the tragedy, I see Robert as one of the most tragic characters of the saga. Even Ned is not so tragic, I mean he at least was happily married and had many children of his own, lovely children. Robert could not say any of that.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

The author of the books and creator of the character considers him a good guy with careless generosity... i'll take his opinion folks, proceed if you will... :thumbsup:

Please show me a quote which George spoke badly of a 'grey' character, stop telling people they must like him because you do. I can't stand him or his whiny entitled brother, I am actively rooting for the extinction of their house..

2 minutes ago, OuttaOldtown said:

Please show me a quote which George spoke badly of a 'grey' character, stop telling people they must like him because you do. I can't stand him or his whiny entitled brother, I am actively rooting for the extinction of their house..

Did i tell anyone to like him? nope, i just agree with the author...

I particulary don´t hate any character, but i'm damn sure not a priest here trying to preach my gospel... you can hate them fine, it's good for discussions on this forum

Archived