"Minor" IS attacks in Europe

Altherion

If we're down to copy-cat attacks by every pissed off or disenfranchised migrant/minority group then stopping anything is going to get really difficult. 

Theres a lot of people upset with their lot in life but if they start to randomly get ideas or inpotation from the likes of IS then how do you truly combat that? Stopping the spread of their influence would be one way, take down their Twitter accounts or websites that are spouting propaganda, stop giving so much free advertising to their tactics and actions with every news report or newspaper editorial. Every time the media bombards us with stories of how IS acts it makes them feel their behaviour is justified. Don't exactly ignore them, they are still dangerous. But the only people really watching them closely should be the guys aiming the smart bombs at them.  

But the same time I guess the public are going to have to be prepared to deal with these incidents. I don't mean accept them as the norm, but learn how to react in the right way to protect themselves and others. And maybe public places need to be seriously designed to limit damage potential, something clearly not taken into account in Nice; that truck should not have be able to get such easy access to a pedestrian area. 

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

At this point it feels like a contagious spate of mimic attacks by disaffected individuals, similar to the outbreak of school shootings in the US after Columbine, and other similar phenomena, notably suicides.

The more we report these, the more they will continue.  The pattern seems to be still growing in intensity at this point. 

This seems spot on. I read in a comment a few days ago that suicides by throwing oneself in front of a train have been reduced considerably since the press in Germany agreed not to report on them anymore. Of course one cannot completely hush a school shooting or what happened in Munich or the bombing in Ansbach. But it seems that the hysterical reporting clearly inspires those on the brink.

It's worth noting that IS/Daesh have, all this while, been carrying out more 'traditional' terror attacks across the Middle East and North Africa: planned suicide and car bombings with organisational support. Casualty figures for these have been significant.

They're not doing the same in Western Europe because our current security makes it harder to pull off this type of attack here. They've resorted to the tactic of inspiring 'lone wolf' attacks and taking credit afterwards out of necessity, not choice. Nice shows that this type of attack isn't necessarily less lethal, of course, and they're by nature very much harder to prevent.

10 hours ago, ElizabethB. said:

There are more reports of mass sexual assaults in music festivals, from Sweden and Germany. 

Commited by migrant men. 

It really is pure terror. 

Yeah, but the sexual assults by German and Swedish men aren't interesting enough and simply don't get reported.  We are at this point with our opinions because of what the media chooses to show us, but don't forget that this is only part of the story.

40 minutes ago, ElizabethB. said:

We are talking about mass sexual assaults in public spaces, which are completely imported via migration. 

Well, no, we're not. We're talking about IS terror attacks. It's right there in the thread title.

If you want to talk about alleged mass sexual assaults in public spaces, start a thread about that.

ETA - with links, and sources, those would be good.

2 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

But the same time I guess the public are going to have to be prepared to deal with these incidents. I don't mean accept them as the norm, but learn how to react in the right way to protect themselves and others. And maybe public places need to be seriously designed to limit damage potential, something clearly not taken into account in Nice; that truck should not have be able to get such easy access to a pedestrian area.

Our societies are not designed as fortresses secure against sabotage and it will be virtually impossible to rebuild them to work that way. It's not just a matter of vehicles having access to pedestrian areas; practically every aspect of our lives currently depends on energy which is stored in ways that can be turned against us. It's impossible to secure every truck, train, bus, pipeline, large building, etc.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Our societies are not designed as fortresses secure against sabotage and it will be virtually impossible to rebuild them to work that way. It's not just a matter of vehicles having access to pedestrian areas; practically every aspect of our lives currently depends on energy which is stored in ways that can be turned against us. It's impossible to secure every truck, train, bus, pipeline, large building, etc.

Yeah but it's amazing how many places have absolutely no plan in place to even deal with the aftermath of an attack, let alone have a clue how to prevent one, nor are built to minimise casualties.

I mean what percentage of public buildings these days are actually built with glass that's not going to turn into a billion bits of flying shrapnel with even a small blast? The overwhelming majority of injuries in a bombing are from flying glass, so using tougher or tempered glass is far safer than normal cheap stuff that shatters into lethal shards. Even armoured glass or that stuff with wires through it would help. 

Anti-vehicle bollards can be made to blend in to scenery or even be architectural components, even adding curves into roadways can slow down or foil a vehicle trying to get into an area it's not meant to. 

Our Belgian government decided for the first time ever to block the financial means of known terror suspects (without an intervention of a judge). This possibility does exist from 2006 but it is the first time it is used. 

They spoke this measure against Abrini (the Man With Head from the attack on the Brussels Airport in Zaventem), the family who gave Salah Abdeslam a place to hide, some Syrian Fighters, ... They cannot access their finances, houses, ... nor is it allowed to give them some financial means. 

I do not really care about jihadists nor about people who were intentionally hiding Salah Abdeslam. But IIRC the family who were hiding him, also consists of some children. So I do hope there are some exceptions who do not take the home away of those children. Further is this completely hypocritical because at the same time some returned Syrian Fighters do receive money from our social security (because they are workless and because they got wounded while they were fighting for ISIS in Syria). 

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 8:13 PM, mormont said:

Well, no, we're not. We're talking about IS terror attacks. It's right there in the thread title.

If you want to talk about alleged mass sexual assaults in public spaces, start a thread about that.

ETA - with links, and sources, those would be good.

Fair enough, I still think the thread should have been called "JeSuisSoSickOfThisKacke". 

So what about stuff like this?  Should I wait for IS to claim it or is there a thread on suspected terrorist stabbings?

5 hours ago, Squab said:

So what about stuff like this?  Should I wait for IS to claim it or is there a thread on suspected terrorist stabbings?

I am actually not really sure why there should be a different thread where the subject of the discussion depends from which organization it comes from, lone-wolf, ... 

Personally I think a large part of the attacks claimed by IS do not have anything to do with IS. 

Anyway until now it is not really claimed it is a terrorist stabbing, no? There is no real clear motive. 

1 minute ago, Maltaran said:

A Norwegian of Somali origin is the quote in the article

...and also "Jodie Parry, who witnessed the events unfold from her hotel window, said she saw a black man running down the street."

...and, further "Zuhair Awartani was trying to return to a hotel where he was staying when he saw a "dark-skinned man" in his "late 20s" being arrested."

Yesterday someone attacked 2 female police officers, who were guarding the police station with a machete in Charleroi (Belgium). The attacker was someone who was illegal in our country and who was ordered two times to leave Belgium. 

The two female police officers were injured badly and the attacker was shot by a third police officer and died. 

This afternoon IS proclaimed the attacker was one of their soldiers.

Attributing any and every act of violence perpetrated by a Muslim person against any Western target to Daesh, is like diagnosing a smoker. 

Any and every illness a smoker acquires, will be attributed to the smoking. But it isn't always so. 

There are more reasons for terrorism than a hijacked and twisted false vision of Islam. But, the fact remains, Daesh is real and certain people do really believe in them, Daesh is the most likely cause. Not necessarily the only cause. Some people are just fucking crazy and/or suicidal, and their nominal religion is not always the same.

All of the aforementioned attacks were widely reported on the mainstream news here in Ireland and in the UK (we get BBC too).

This is really so surrealist. 

At this moment Belgian investigators are searching for Oussama Atar. He is the cousin of the brothers El Bakraoui, the brothers who were responsible for the attacks in Brussels and Zaventem on 22/03.  This guy went to fight in 2003 in Iraq, was suspected of being a terrorist and convicted for illegal weapon trafficking. He was then spending some prison sentence in Iraq, where he apparently Abu Bakr Al Baghadi, the leader of ISIS. 

He send some message to his family where he said he was sick. The family hold then a press conference where they said Atar was really sick and had cancer and asked the Belgian government to put some pressure on the government of Iraq to release Atar. Some 200 demonstrated before the palace of justice to sympathize with Atar and also demand his release. And after some time he was really released because of the pressure by the Belgian government, Amnesty International and Red Cross. 

Atar had actually never cancer and disappeared directly when he came back in Brussels. I am not really sure about this but I think he went to fight in Syria? Anyway he is apparently back in Europe, more especially Belgium. 

At this moment Belgian investigators are actually believing he might be the guy who planned the attacks of Brussels on 22/03 and had some huge influence on his cousins Khalid and Ibrahim El Bakraoui. In june some other guys were arrested and were suspected of planning another attacks. Those guys were a cousin and an uncle of Atar. 

http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/202785-oussama-atar-brein-aanslagen-2203

http://www.demorgen.be/binnenland/veel-vragen-rond-gevaarlijke-spoorloze-terrorist-wat-is-hier-allemaal-misgelopen-bbcd8b94/

Archived