More Like Ned's Rebellion

RhaekarTyvar

Does anyone else feel like Ned got the worst rap of them all, when you think about it, it was Ned's sister kidnapped ("kidnapped") and whom eventually wound up dead as a door nail not to mention Ned's father and brother that were murdered at court on the orders of the Mad King. With all things considered before any of the eventual Stark deaths during the War of the Five King's, who the hell was Robert really and what was he complaining about? Which leads to the point we all know to be true, if Ned had gotten his head out of his arse and taken the Iron Throne, he would have had a Tully as Queen, thus uniting the Riverlands, the Vale AND the North, 3 sons and 2 daughters later a marriage alliance with Dorne and the Reach could have followed, even the Westerlands if need be. He would have made a just and fair ruler and would have actually done the job lol I suppose it all comes down to the fact that if he had done so, we would have no GoT, bar the possibility of Daenerys. Honourable but foolish Starks, he knew what his friend was.

If Ned somehow ends up on the Iron Throne, how well do you think he would actually do? He got completely played by those around him as Hand, and there's no reason to think there wouldn't be such people hanging on to his court. Ned knows this, which is why he didn't want to be Hand in the first place.

Ned wanted absolutely nothing to do with the Throne.

He had no claim to it. I'm pretty sure the leaders of the rebellion essentially elected Robert the leader because he had a relatively close Targaryan blood tie, plus his name recognition and looks the part. He's someone the small folk could rally around. Plus a Stark on the Iron Throne is probably one step from foreign rule in the eyes of many southerners. And I don't think the Faith would sit by and watch someone who worships the Old Gods be crowned in Baelor's Sept (though if Ned did, surely he would be crowned under the Weirwood or something.)

Ned worked as hard as anyone to put Robert on the throne...and had no aspiration other than justice for his family and putting his bff on the throne. 

Robert was picked ahead of the other leaders for several reasons. He was of the right faith, he was a fierce general and warrior, he had a Targ grandma or great-grandma and he was young and fertile. 

The other candidates had stuff going against them. Jon was old and heirless, House Tully never had the prestige or respect that the Starks, Arryns, Lannisters etc. had. Ned was of the wrong religion and had no claim to the throne. All in all, Robert seemed to be the best candidate.

56 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Robert was picked ahead of the other leaders for several reasons. He was of the right faith, he was a fierce general and warrior, he had a Targ grandma or great-grandma and he was young and fertile. 

The other candidates had stuff going against them. Jon was old and heirless, House Tully never had the prestige or respect that the Starks, Arryns, Lannisters etc. had. Ned was of the wrong religion and had no claim to the throne. All in all, Robert seemed to be the best candidate.

Pretty much what goes in my head as well.

Ned stark was would never sit on the Iron Throne,because he was a stark and Starks are honourable. They would suffer endless misery rather than find the easy way out just as you suggested

Ned was the youngest of the three, he is likely to be the jnr member of the triumvirate. He departed for the North to raise his banners while Jon and Robert fought in the Battle of Gulltown, then Robert traveled to the Stormlands and fought three battles against the other Stormlords and then took part in the Battle of Ashemark against the Reach.

Robert was undoubtedly the focal point of the Rebellion,Stannis goes on how other lords were in awe of him as a battle commander.

While he may have been a mediocre King it is clear he was a great Battle commander (greatest living one we have seen in the series this far) who deserves the praise and respect he gets for being a commander and warrior.

Ned and Jon no doubt were vital, but it was still Robert's Rebellion.

3 hours ago, Nitisha said:

Ned stark was would never sit on the Iron Throne,because he was a stark and Starks are honourable. They would suffer endless misery rather than find the easy way out just as you suggested

You're attributing the values Ned learned as a ward of Jon Arryn to the other members of the Stark family. Love 'em and leave 'em Brandon? Skip out on your betrothal Lyanna? Political plotter Rickard? The old throat-cutting Kings in the North?  Those are your real Starks.

38 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

You're attributing the values Ned learned as a ward of Jon Arryn to the other members of the Stark family. Love 'em and leave 'em Brandon? Skip out on your betrothal Lyanna? Political plotter Rickard? The old throat-cutting Kings in the North?  Those are your real Starks.

Ned at least succeeded in passing down those values to Jon and Robb. In the end, it only matters that Ned has that sense of honor.

Ned loves the North, loves Winterfell and hates political intrigue. Basically KL is the worst place on earth for him. And he talks about the opportunity with Cersei in the godswood and tells her it wasn't a mistake to not be king. 

He just doesn't want it, it's not in his character. 

2 hours ago, Michael Mertyns said:

Ned at least succeeded in passing down those values to Jon and Robb. In the end, it only matters that Ned has that sense of honor.

Well, two of those three are dead, and one's at death's door. That style of honor seems not to be much use as a survival trait.

Ned should have become King in the North.  Ever since the Dragons died there really wasn't any reason for the Seven Kingdoms to remain under the Iron Throne, but the Targs somehow held it together.

There's no reason for the North to stay.  It's geographically and culturally isolated from the rest of Westeros.

At the very least, Ned should have demanded some of the same privileges that Dorne enjoys and become Prince of Winterfell.

While Ned and the North had a lot due to them for the abduction of Lyanna and the murders of Rickard and Brandon as well as the parties of nobles that travled to Kingslanding with both men i feel as if they were robbed of justice when Jaime killed Aerys and their cause was tarnished with the rape of Elia and brutal murders of Rhaenys and Aegon. 

While Ned should not have been king he should have kept an active correspondence with Jon Arryn and Robert going. Maybe take a ship from White Harbor to Kingslanding once every two or three years and let his presence be felt in Robert's court. Let the people know that the Lord of Winterfell has a vested interest in the happenings of the Iron throne. Maybe then Stannis would have reached out to him about the Twincest.

23 hours ago, Michael Mertyns said:

If Ned somehow ends up on the Iron Throne, how well do you think he would actually do? He got completely played by those around him as Hand, and there's no reason to think there wouldn't be such people hanging on to his court. Ned knows this, which is why he didn't want to be Hand in the first place.

Correct, Ned was my favourite character in AGoT but whilst reading it I was continually scolding him for not listening carefully enough, and for completely failing to anticipate the duplicitousness around him. I was aghast at him warning Cersei to flee into exile, I was stunned when he refused Loras the honour of bringing justice to the mountain. I was incredulous when he dismissed Renlys concerns regarding the Lannisters after Roberts death and dismayed when he rejected Renlys offer of swords and aid in securing The IT and Kings Landing and then I was horrified to read the page when Ned put all his faith and trust and his and his daughters fate in the hands of Littlefinger who had continually told Ned not to trust him. It was sad and frustrating  to watch him blunder and stumble around on the way to his death when he was the character that made the book interesting to me. So having said all this I can say that I believe Ned was indeed the type of person that deserves to rule but unfortunately was incapable of playing the Game of Thrones well enough to survive it, unfortunately!

4 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Correct, Ned was my favourite character in AGoT but whilst reading it was continually scolding him for not listening carefully enough and for completely failing to anticipate the duplicitousness around him.

It only got more painful in rereads.

Lets make a short resume of how Robert's rebellion started. Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna, Brandon went to KL to confront Rhaegar and got arrested. Aerys summoned Rickard to court to answer for his son's crimes and both got killed. At that point ravens were sent to Lord Arryn ordering him to kill both Robert and Eddard. That's an unacceptable command 

a- House Arryn would have ended in the most hated house in Westeros. House Tully, House Stark and House Baratheon will never forget what old Arryn did. Such hideous crime would infuriate the Lords of the Vale and would occur at a time when House Arryn had no heirs. One blow from a pissed off Lord and House Arryn would end

b- Robert and Eddard had no alternative but to fight. 

Robert's rebellion wasn't Ned's or Robert's or Jon's. It started as a rebellion for survival. Its a shame that power tend to blind people and instead of acting as Lord Protector of the realm, purging the evil and nurturing the good, Robert decided to sit on the throne himself. 

Archived