Songs That Make Your Heart Hurt

Theda Baratheon

On 7/31/2016 at 7:25 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Thanks guys!! On my next day off im just gonna chill and listen through all these. Is that weird? Maybe a little bit. I don't care sometimes its just nice to listen to music that really moves you, even if it's sad :)

I think it's a great idea. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second the mentions of Jacques Brel - Le Moribund and of course Jeff Buckley.

Susanne Sundfør ft. Röyksopp - Running to the Sea - This one is physically painful for me. The (inferred) backdrop references being a big part of it (Utøya 2011), although it stands on its own merits.

This Mortail Coil - Song to the Siren - More of a personal thing, stuck with me during a strange period. Haunting though, much more so than Buckley sr.'s original.

On 13/08/2016 at 10:29 AM, FalagarV2 said:

I'll second the mentions of Jacques Brel - Le Moribund and of course Jeff Buckley.

Susanne Sundfør ft. Röyksopp - Running to the Sea - This one is physically painful for me. The (inferred) backdrop references being a big part of it (Utøya 2011), although it stands on its own merits.

This Mortail Coil - Song to the Siren - More of a personal thing, stuck with me during a strange period. Haunting though, much more so than Buckley sr.'s original.

i LOVE these too...I adore This Mortal Coil and Susanne Sundfor..

On 8/13/2016 at 9:29 PM, FalagarV2 said:

That's pretty good. Reminds me of Denez Prigent & Lisa Gerrard: Gortoz A Ran - J'attends (used to sombre effect in Black Hawk Down). I recommend listening to Lisa Gerrard's other works as well.

You know how you get introduced* to a song and it gets in your head and you think; Right I'll have it on repeat for a day or so and then be sick of it and done? Well I've had this song, Terence Tent D'Arby Holding On To You, playing off & on for the past 2 weeks already! The studio version is good but this live version is simply outstanding, and addictive. 

*It was planning on skipping a cousin's 40th birthday when his wife asked, if i wasn't coming, to record myself lip syncing to this song as she was compiling a video of all my cousin's friends & family not attending to show on the night. Of course I immediately changed my mind and made arrangements to attend - the video was hilarious & awesome though.   

I'm gonna leave this song here

Lisa Hannigan - Courting Blues

It's a gorgeous cover of a fantastic folk song by Bert Jansch. Except Bert Jansch's original is kind of tender and gently seductive, this cover is full blown MAGICAL. It's as though she's a seductive but also kind of frightening witch casting a spell throughout the song, it's glorious and really just makes my heart ache with how beautiful and special and wonderful it is.

This song has to be one of the saddest I've ever encountered. I rarely can get through the whole thing.

Thanks to the S1 finale of Stranger Things for reminding me how powerful "When It's Cold..." is. And that also reminded me of an equally powerful instrumental on that same Moby album.

And someone mentioned songs to "mope" to when mending a broken heart (or putting off the mending, depending on your perspective), so here are some of my go-to tunes in that category.

On 7/28/2016 at 5:04 PM, Leap said:

. . .Embarrassingly Dido - White Flag. A lot of that is nostalgia though.

Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

The Fray - How To Save A Life (Not a huge fan of the band, but if you don't think this song is sad as fuck you have no soul)

...And of course, finally, Johnny Cash - Hurt

Oh, damn! You just brought me back with "White Flag"!!! Nothing to be embarrassed about in my book; it's a solid song. Ditto for the Fray number. And "Hurt" & "Tears in Heaven" are just mandatory for a playlist of this nature. Speaking of which, someone with time and patience than me should make a youtube playlist with all the songs from this thread.

Petyr, when that scene was building up, I was already on the edge of the couch, totally immersed in that episode. That Moby track is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, and would have been one of my entries for this thread. As soon as I heard its first notes, I was reduced to a giant weeping puddle. I mean, they could have been playing Rammstein and I probably would have teared up a bit regardless. But that track, at that moment? Jeez. 

My entries: (sorry guys, I listened to a lot of sad stuff over the years!)

The Smiths - Please Please Please  (not really the video, but damnit this song and that haunting riff gets me)

The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem - The Parting Glass  - a classic Irish tune, specifically this version

The Chieftains and Sissel - Siúil A Rún - I obviously was raised on Irish music, and though this is a relatively new version of a classic ballad. Sissel's voice is absolutely flawless - and she's not even Irish! (Norwegian, and supremely talented)

The Meters - Wichita Lineman - A third song that's been sung by many, but this specific version always gets me. And The Meters are generally a really funky, upbeat band. I think it's the simple line "And I need your more than want you, and I want you for all time" that makes me think of heartbreaks and The One That Got Away forever.

Poe - Fly Away - This is a literary forum, and most here would know Mark Danielewski more than his tremendously talented singer-songwriter sister. Record contract BS limited her commercial musical career.

And since you mentioned Moby, who did several really lonely, sad tracks before his mainstream album Play,

Moby - Bad Days

Moby - Love Song For My Mom  (Try to listen to that song with headphones, in the dark, and not get goosebumps)

Thanks guys, Now I'm just gonna go text my mom that I love her, and my ex that I still love - wait, not that one - maybe I'll just go have another beer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This one is for @Manhole Eunuchsbane:

OMG I'm loathe to listen to it. There is nothing worse than Sportstalk DJ novelty songs. We have a guy here in the Bay Area who works for KNBR (the largest local sports station) who "specializes" in these. Just absolutely horrid, cringe-worthy, dreck.

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

OMG I'm loathe to listen to it. There is nothing worse than Sportstalk DJ novelty songs. We have a guy here in the Bay Area who works for KNBR (the largest local sports station) who "specializes" in these. Just absolutely horrid, cringe-worthy, dreck.

Oh this one is super cringe worthy, but in the best way possible. 

I have to give the guy credit for committing to the vocal, but that was pretty horrid. :blink: 

/Seeing as how this is a parody of a Kenny Rogers song, this reminded me of an exchange between Norm MacDonald and Adam Carolla...

I'm pretty sure this is broadcast radio, so I don't think there's any NSFW lyrics, but the subject matter is pretty problematic, so be wary. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I have to give the guy credit for committing to the vocal, but that was pretty horrid. :blink: 

They played it for Draymond when he was on their show and it freaked him out. That said, you should check out their show sometime. It's really good.

On 8/15/2016 at 11:15 PM, Argonath Diver said:

Petyr, when that scene was building up, I was already on the edge of the couch, totally immersed in that episode. That Moby track is absolutely one of my all-time favorites, and would have been one of my entries for this thread. As soon as I heard its first notes, I was reduced to a giant weeping puddle. I mean, they could have been playing Rammstein and I probably would have teared up a bit regardless. But that track, at that moment? Jeez. . .

Yeah, that whole scene kicked me square in my feels.  And since you're a Chieftans fan, here's one of my favorites of theirs. 

Archived