Who could play Rhaegar or Could anyone play him?

1 hour ago, SecretWeapon said:

Neither I, but Jon is supposed to be Stark looking through and through, and this Wilf does look like he could be related to Harry Lloyd and Emilia Clarke

I definitely see a resemblance between Harry Lloyd and Scolding. 

You're right that Jon should properly resemble Stark. Of course TV Jon looks nothing like TV Ned, whereas in the books he's supposed to be the spitting image of Ned. And TV Arya and TV Lyanna resemble each other, but neither of them looks anything like TV Jon, either. I don't think there's a long face to be found among TV Ned/Young TV Ned/TV Lyanna/TV Arya/TV Jon, even though all of them are supposed to have long faces in the books.

As for Book Rhaegar, Cersei recalls him as being so attractive as to make Jaime look like a "stableboy." Taking that statement at face value, I would think that there's a very limited pool of young British actors who would make NCW's Jaime look like nothing special in comparison. Who's the most gorgeous young British actor cast on GOT so far? Richard Madden, I guess? Slap a silver wig on Richard Madden and we're in business, LOL. They could do what the show did with Tommen's actor, heh.

5 hours ago, SecretWeapon said:

Afaik the Rhaegar crush is mostly absent im the series tho (Basically "Will i marry the prince" is the only thing that implies MAYBE its there).

Personally i think Aisling Franciosi does look related to Kit Harington

Yes I agree that Aisling looks a bit like Kit,and in a way she resembles Maisie Williams. The books said that Lyanna,Arya and Jon have features similar to Ned. I don't think any of the kids looks much like Sean Bean, HOWEVER Robert Amarayo (young Ned) definately looks like him. The actors who play Sansa, Robb, Bran and Rickon look a bit like Michelle Fairley. 

Anyway what is that "typical Stark long-face horse-face" supposed to be? I can't picture it.

On 12/06/2017 at 6:17 PM, Wolfgirly said:

As for Lyanna, I don't think she was described as very beautiful in the books, although some said she is like Arya, who was considered "long faced" and tomboyish.

Ned's thoughts when he takes Robert down into the Winterfell crypts:

She was a child-woman of surpassing loveliness

Ned to Robert:

You saw the beauty, not the iron underneath.

Kevan Lannister:

The Northern girl had a wild beauty

Ned tells Arya she looks like Lyanna:

"Lyanna was beautiful" Arya said, startled. Everybody said so.

1 hour ago, SecretWeapon said:

Something like Benjen actor's face imo

Yes, yes, yes. Joseph Mawle (Benjen) looks exactly like Book Ned: long, solemn face, dark hair. I don't blame them for going with Sean Bean, and ultimately I loved Sean Bean's Ned, but physically Joseph Mawle is bang on.

There aren't that many prominent long-faced actresses. The only examples I can think of off the top of my head are Liv Tyler, Jena Malone, and Sarah Jessica Parker. Kristen Stewart, too, I guess?

3 hours ago, Wolfgirly said:

Yes I agree that Aisling looks a bit like Kit,and in a way she resembles Maisie Williams. The books said that Lyanna,Arya and Jon have features similar to Ned. I don't think any of the kids looks much like Sean Bean, HOWEVER Robert Amarayo (young Ned) definately looks like him. The actors who play Sansa, Robb, Bran and Rickon look a bit like Michelle Fairley. 

Anyway what is that "typical Stark long-face horse-face" supposed to be? I can't picture it.

I think both Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams look a bit like a young Michelle Fairley.

On 6/14/2017 at 5:42 AM, maudisdottir said:

Ned's thoughts when he takes Robert down into the Winterfell crypts:

Ned to Robert:

Kevan Lannister:

Ned tells Arya she looks like Lyanna:

Most of these comments came from Ned Stark who is absolutely a biased person on Lyanna. 

Kevan said she had a wild beauty but he said she is not even close to Cersei. 

You can say Kevan is biased too but he is likely less biased than Ned towards Lyanna. 

Other than that, we heard from Aerys' guy that Lyanna is less beautiful than Rheagar's wife. 

We also knew that Howland Reed said Elia is more beautiful than fair maid of Whent and he memorized every dance Ashara did that night and also her haunting violet eyes. But he said nothing about Lyanna's beauty who actually was very nice to him. 

Ashara is the greatest beauty in the HH tourney. 

APP said that Ashara Dayne is one of the most beautiful woman of her time. Yet it only said Lyanna is a "slender beauty". 

Many many women can be called beauty, but very rare you can find one who can be called as one of the most beautiful woman of that time. GRRM claimed that he imagined Ashara as Elizabeth Taylor and Cersie as Nicole Kidman.

I do agree Lyanna is a young and beautiful girl but she is not even close to beauty of Ashara or prime Cersei. 

It seems like Rhaegar chose her for something else, not her beauty. 

I was just going to add that Wilf Scolding has an incredible likeness to the actor that plays Viserys. If he is the actor cast to portray Rhaegar then it could be partly to do with this. He's definately not in the image of Rhaegar in my head, if he is cast I hope the actor pulls off the role well and the production director team make the most of him.

In my head Rhaegar would have an aquiline long nose, graceful face and jaw, and would have a melancholy/seriousness air about him. But this is the thing with reading a book, the writer writes 50% of the story, we write the other 50% in our heads. It's like listening to a person on radio and building up an image in your mind of what they look like, then seeing them on screen and thinking wtf?!

On the Aisling playing Lyanna topic...I think they chose her perfectly. If anyone has seen her play anything else, you would see she is far more fetching to look at than having just given birth and about to die (God knows I looked a wreck after my births!!!!). She plays alongside Aiden Gillen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdYCPATV9o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmILCVj1Rew

On 6/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, Weirwood Ghost said:

I was just going to add that Wilf Scolding has an incredible likeness to the actor that plays Viserys.

I agree. He definitely looks credibly related to Harry Lloyd.

On 6/21/2017 at 5:16 PM, Vernon Roche said:

Lee Pace, the guy who played Thranduil in the recent Hobbit films perhaps? He isn't A list by any stretch.

Too old.

Rhaegar is known for his beauty, and Wilf Scolding is adorable, cute, but not beautiful or melancholy or mysterious. Rhaegar is one of my least favorite characters in the series--I see him as an unpleasant cross between a supermodel and a moody rock star, a guy who could make a living posing for covers of romance novels. This is why my thoughts automatically go to melancholy male model types, instead of more substantial human beings who have something to offer other than "Aren't I beautiful? Aren't you turned on by my moody mystery and strange melancholy? Sit and sob while I play the harp."

...and there won't be time to set him up as a character. All we'll know of him, probably, is that he ran off with Lyanna and (possibly) married her. His looks will be all that matter.

On 21 June 2017 at 10:45 PM, SecretWeapon said:

He looks lovely here

Thank you for this. Im starting to really hope he ends up playing Rhaegar, especially if he ends up looking like this. This is totally what I would picture him like, he even looks a lot like Harry Lloyd in season 1. Now all that's missing is the silver wig and BAM, we have our Rhaegar.

On 22/06/2017 at 6:46 AM, Vernon Roche said:

Lee Pace, the guy who played Thranduil in the recent Hobbit films perhaps? He isn't A list by any stretch.

When Lee Pace was suggested I thought, heck yes. I watched Hobbit films recently and was thinking he'd make the perfect Rhaegar - authoritative, broody/melancholy, graceful, athletic, attractive in a mysterious way. I was hanging on his every word.

I can't believe that people are saying Chris Hemsworth, his face is weird and squashed in and he is nowhere near the Valyrian male beauty ideal. He's seriously ugly. Someone said that he looked like that picture of Rhaegar from TWOIAF and I agree but that picture wasn't good in the first place so.. Anyways, who WOULD be perfect as Rhaegar? We need someone with a somewhat oblong face I think, high cheekbones, a rather big, straight/aquiline and possibly somewhat pointy nose, a pale complexion, and a mysterious otherwordly look. Also, he should have blue or at least green eyes. I think Harry Lloyd as Viserys was quite good because he's rather symmetrical and beautiful plus him and Emilia look alike, although he didn't look that much like book-Viserys at all (Lloyd's face is too short and broad; book-Viserys has a bit of a more gaunt, oblong face when I picture him plus he's more lanky). Anyways, Lloyd looks beautiful in a somewhat Valyrian way. Ben Barnes is an all right choice, not that he would be my first one. He's got the right features with a slightly mysterious look to him, like vaguely asian or something. Tom Hiddleston - God no, why? Travis Fimmel - No, absolutely not. I like him but he's not that beautiful and certainly doesn't have the Rhaegar look. His nose is too small and inverted, Rhaegar has to have a bigger and more straight nose to me. Alexander Skarsgård is quite a good choice. Devin Oliver wouldn't be terrible but he's far from perfect. Leif Stacey, the Swedish model who noone knows the name of, looks quite good but I think he's maybe too old these days. Finally, there is a picture that really captures the mysterious Valyrian beauty of Rhaegar and I think the guy is Danila Kovalev but when I check him out in other pictures he doesn't look that good. He's got the mysterious part but his features are quite weird except for in that specific picture. You all know which one I'm talking about, it's this one: 

http://jroekneere.deviantart.com/art/Rhaegar-Targaryen-332201589

10 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

He's seriously ugly.

He is what? Seriously?

Lloyd looks beautiful

I like him as an actor but you think that he is better looking than Chris Hemsworth? 

Alexander Skarsgård is quite a good choice.

He is too strapping to be Rhaegar.

Tom Hiddleston - God no, why?

Again, seriously?

I don't think Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston are all that good-looking either, FWIW. The actors both have loads of charm, though.

Although I think he's attractive, I don't know that I'd call Harry Lloyd beautiful, but he has the perfect face to play an aristocrat. Something about him screams "posh." 

When I think of a delicately attractive actor with a fragile quality and a reputation for playing melancholy, romantic characters, I think of Ben Whishaw, although he's again too old. 

On 21/06/2017 at 0:19 PM, purple-eyes said:

Most of these comments came from Ned Stark who is absolutely a biased person on Lyanna. 

Kevan said she had a wild beauty but he said she is not even close to Cersei. 

You can say Kevan is biased too but he is likely less biased than Ned towards Lyanna. 

Other than that, we heard from Aerys' guy that Lyanna is less beautiful than Rheagar's wife. 

We also knew that Howland Reed said Elia is more beautiful than fair maid of Whent and he memorized every dance Ashara did that night and also her haunting violet eyes. But he said nothing about Lyanna's beauty who actually was very nice to him. 

Ashara is the greatest beauty in the HH tourney. 

APP said that Ashara Dayne is one of the most beautiful woman of her time. Yet it only said Lyanna is a "slender beauty". 

Many many women can be called beauty, but very rare you can find one who can be called as one of the most beautiful woman of that time. GRRM claimed that he imagined Ashara as Elizabeth Taylor and Cersie as Nicole Kidman.

I do agree Lyanna is a young and beautiful girl but she is not even close to beauty of Ashara or prime Cersei. 

It seems like Rhaegar chose her for something else, not her beauty. 

I was replying to a claim that Lyanna wasn't described as being beautiful in the books, which she obviously was. Not sure whether you're trying to tell me I'm wrong? Quotes directly from the books don't lie.

On 07/06/2017 at 9:37 PM, The Doctor's Consort said:

Rhaegar seems to me like someone with a *delicate* beauty and not a muscular man like Chris Hemsworth, I think that Joseph Morgan would had been a perfect Rhaegar. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604784/mediaviewer/rm2573241600

If he was beautiful which is something that I doubt since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and he reminds me of Nuada from Hellboy. http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Nuada?file=Prince_Nuada_with_a_crown.jpg

Superman is Robert Prime.

Joseph Morgan is sexy but looks terrible in a long haired wig. Being clean shaven doesn't suit him either. He's got a nice voice though, and I'm not saying that because of the accent as I'm English myself. As much as I love him as an actor, I can't see him as Rhaegar.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to point out that Wilf Scolding is followed by Sue the Fury (head honcho of Watchers on the Wall) on Twitter as well.

I don't see many reasons why both Lyanna's actress and someone who runs Game of Thrones' biggest fan site would follow an obscure British actor with no well-known projects to date.

To all the people who are imagining a wildly different look/feel for Rhaegar, best come to terms with the disappointment now. 

Archived