Where is Howland Reed?

Grizzly A Mormont

I was contemplating the R+L=J&M theory and it struck me.

IF Howland Reed was still alive, wouldn't he have been a bannerman to House Stark. I don't recall House Reed ever mentioned by Rob Stark when rallying forces to free/avenge Eddard Stark, or later when Jon Snow and Sansa Stark take back Winterfell.

I have not read the books. IF I had, I would not be watching GOT. I am usually disappointed with the TV/Movie version if I read the book(s) first.

Howland and the crannogman were tasked with defending the neck (the region between the North and the Riverlands). Which didn't really work out well since the Ironborn took Moat cailin. You had one job Howland lol.

Also Robb didn't have the time to wait for all his levies to mobilize and gather at Winterfell, he had to get south to assist the Riverlands and to rescue his father.

I'd also conclude that we'll finally see him this upcoming season, he has been name dropped since S3 when we met his children (Meera and Jojen) and they showed him in the ToJ scene and made a point of even having Bloodraven point him out. Plus when Howland hears of Jon Snow being named King in the North, I think he'll have a reason to appear finally and converse with Jon. I think he never came forward before because Ned probably told Howland he was planning to keep Jon's parentage a secret and have him join the nights watch, but with Jon being made a King, I think Howland will believe it is time to tell him.

32 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I'd also conclude that we'll finally see him this upcoming season, he has been name dropped since S3 when we met his children (Meera and Jojen) and they showed him in the ToJ scene and made a point of even having Bloodraven point him out. Plus when Howland hears of Jon Snow being named King in the North, I think he'll have a reason to appear finally and converse with Jon. I think he never came forward before because Ned probably told Howland he was planning to keep Jon's parentage a secret and have him join the nights watch, but with Jon being made a King, I think Howland will believe it is time to tell him.

Really? With Bran making doing his time travel tv and heading south now, I figured Howland's role as the one to make the big reveal was pretty much nixed.

21 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Really? With Bran making doing his time travel tv and heading south now, I figured Howland's role as the one to make the big reveal was pretty much nixed.

I agree with this. Bran became the history camera on a swivel and will continue rondo so next season. Jojen died with no fanfare and about 39 seconds of sadness by Meera. Howland was dead before he even hit the screen. 

1 hour ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I'd like to believe he will appear, but that will depend on whether he has a role to play in the ending or not.

10 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I agree with this. Bran became the history camera on a swivel and will continue rondo so next season. Jojen died with no fanfare and about 39 seconds of sadness by Meera. Howland was dead before he even hit the screen. 

I agree with this, but I also wonder why would they bother mentioning his name (3Eyed to Bran) if he would never appear.

6 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I'd like to believe he will appear, but that will depend on whether he has a role to play in the ending or not.

I agree with this, but I also wonder why would they bother mentioning his name (3Eyed to Bran) if he would never appear.

this is what is giving me a small slimmer of hope. Why even mention Howland if he isn't gonna come back into the story? They could of just had Howland there but not mention him and book readers can be like "That's totally Howland Reed". They didn't name drop him but the other Kingsguard Knight with Dayne was Gerold Hightower, his story ended at the TOJ and he wasn't that big of a character anyways to the overall story. Arthur Dayne was name dropped and things were said about him to show the tv viewers that this guy was a formidable fighter and was famous (Hightower was good, just not Arthur Dayne good lol) for it even years after his death. They gave him two swords in the show for some reason but I guess it was to make him realistically be able to take on 4 warriors by himself.

That fight scene at the ToJ was pretty great.

21 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

We didn't even get to see Rhaegar. I wonder if that will ever happen.

18 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

this is what is giving me a small slimmer of hope. Why even mention Howland if he isn't gonna come back into the story? They could of just had Howland there but not mention him and book readers can be like "That's totally Howland Reed". They didn't name drop him but the other Kingsguard Knight with Dayne was Gerold Hightower, his story ended at the TOJ and he wasn't that big of a character anyways to the overall story. Arthur Dayne was name dropped and things were said about him to show the tv viewers that this guy was a formidable fighter and was famous (Hightower was good, just not Arthur Dayne good lol) for it even years after his death. They gave him two swords in the show for some reason but I guess it was to make him realistically be able to take on 4 warriors by himself.

That fight scene at the ToJ was pretty great.

Yes, Arthur Dayne was mentioned long before he appeared, so that also gives me some hope too.

I would like to see Meera recall something about his father, at least, now that she and Bran are alone in the woods.

In the Bold Predictions for Season 7, somebody has posted a set of spoilers.  I have no clue as to the reliability of these, but they show 

Spoiler

Howland Reed appearing in episode 5 of next season.  His appearance is to explain, to Jon, what happened at the ToJ, if his parents loved each other, were married, and so on.

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

So who are the lords of Westeros going to believe?  A cripple who wasn't born when the ToJ took place and claims to have seen it in visions... Or the lord of a house who can say with absolute certainty that he was there with Eddard?

you also have to keep in mind that multiple people in different locations may need to be made aware of this info.  Bran can tell Jon and the North and maybe an older gentleman pops up and requests an audience with Dany while she's marching on kings landing (or even after she takes it).  

Based on the show so far though, I have a bad feeling that everyone will just shrug at the news and say "seems legit" and move on to other business. 

12 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

So who are the lords of Westeros going to believe?  A cripple who wasn't born when the ToJ took place and claims to have seen it in visions... Or the lord of a house who can say with absolute certainty that he was there with Eddard?

you also have to keep in mind that multiple people in different locations may need to be made aware of this info.  Bran can tell Jon and the North and maybe an older gentleman pops up and requests an audience with Dany while she's marching on kings landing (or even after she takes it).  

Based on the show so far though, I have a bad feeling that everyone will just shrug at the news and say "seems legit" and move on to other business. 

Well on the books forum, I've expressed serious doubt on the notion of Jon being on the Iron Throne simply because he's going to have a hell of a time convincing anyone he's a Targaryen, if he even finds out. What's his proof? A crazy frog eating barbarian? His little brother who can touch a tree and see the past? A tablet buried in the crypts of Winterfell that no one but him will manage to find? His long missing Uncle who's been beyond the wall fighting snarks and grumpkins? I can't see the lords of Westeros taking any of that seriously.

The show is another monster, and yeah... you probably have a point about everyone shrugging it off and just going with it.

18 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

If someone is able to convince Damascus, whether it be Varys, a priestess of the Lord of Light, or someone else, that is all that is needed. Jon Snow does not want the Iron Throne. King of the North is more than he wanted and he has that and if Danaerys believes it, she may vary well let him rule the North. 

On 7/29/2016 at 2:17 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

I know it's been a day or so, I have been on the road a lot-lot.

I figured ol'Two-Eyes and Bran name dropped HR because tv-only viewers may not remember way back in season 2(?) when we first met the Reed kids, who their father is. It was supposed to be more of a reminder rather than foreshadowing.

On 7/29/2016 at 2:26 PM, Le Cygne said:

We didn't even get to see Rhaegar. I wonder if that will ever happen.

Rhaegar definitely was, and still is, important, especially to tv-only viewers that don't participate on fan forums such as this where they can browse around for years and get all the clues and context. Thank gawd HBO released and out-of-episode infographic to explain what should have been shown on screen :rolleyes:That's how the showrunners tell the Lyanna/Rhaegar love story= Infographic.

We might get Rhaegar. If we do, then it would be a Trident flashback to show how Booby B is really a bad, dishonorable guy and we should posthumously root that he is Ned-dead. I can't see how showing Rhaegar will help with Jon in anyway since on television the D's made him as exciting as a cold, wet noodle. It would be fan-service to Targ/Daenerys Khaleesi fans to see more silver hairs on screen.

3 hours ago, Darksky said:

^then why even have the whole secret Targaryen thing? It has to have some impact otherwise it's pointless.

As if all impact of the story rotates around the Iron Throne. Jon clearly has nothing else going for him in his character arc.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Rhaegar would definitely was, and still is, important, especially to tv-only viewers that don't participate on fan forums such as this where they can browse around for years and get all the clues and context. Thank gawd HBO released and out-of-episode infographic to explain what should have been shown on screen :rolleyes:That's how the showrunners tell the Lyanna/Rhaegar love story= Infographic.

We might get Rhaegar. If we do, then it would be a Trident flashback to show how Booby B is really a bad, dishonorable guy and we should posthumously root that he is Ned-dead. I can't see how showing Rhaegar will help with Jon in anyway since on television the D's made him as exciting as a cold, wet noodle. It would be fan-service to Targ/Daenerys Khaleesi fans to see more silver hairs on screen.

That was funny that the baby had the same expression on his face that Jon usually has. But it did really matter to Jon that he belonged, and I think knowing his parents loved each other, and really wanted him, would make him feel better about himself.

15 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

That was funny that the baby had the same expression on his face that Jon usually has. But it did really matter to Jon that he belonged, and I think knowing his parents loved each other, and really wanted him, would make him feel better about himself.

Absolutely! Gods yes! Jon knowing that would be amazing. I still get weepy (Still !) when I read Jon's last chapter and knowing what he doesn't know but is desperately searching for = his identity.

For him to know that he was wanted, was needed and not a bastard would be amazing. I don't think he would let it go to his head, his father taught him honor, but he would have some inner peace.

I don't know that I have any faith left in me to think that the showrunners can or will show this emotion. Everything is so damn stabby-stabby without reason.

Archived