If Lyanna is already married to Robert before HH tourney, will this make difference?

purple-eyes

1 hour ago, OuttaOldtown said:

Spare me the military IQ nonsense, he could lift a warhammer and a bottle of win, that's what Robert did. There a handful of so-called good battle commanders in the story, Stannis being one of them, he lost at BW and won at the wall, when the odds were in his favor he won. He mishandled quite a bit leading up to Blackwater. Renley got on the small council because he's the Kings brother, never happens otherwise. I instantly hated all three from first into and every Barathron in the history of Westeros. I find it amusing that all blame for Roberts Rebellion falls on Lyanna, the guy started a civil war over a broken marriage pact, and it wasn't the first time, another asshole named the laughing storm started a rebellion over his daughter being pushed aside by Duncan Targaryen. Such a sensitive lot, for having a tough reputation they proved to have pretty thin skin when things didn't go their way. I don't mourn Brandon Stark, hotheaded idiot, you'd think he was a dirty lowlife Batatheon. 

Some people hate dragons, I hate stags..

Come on, Robert didn't even start Robert's Rebellion, Jon Arryn did when Aerys demanded Ned and Robert's heads for no good reason. Aerys also murdered Rickard for no good reason and all of Brandon's companions seemingly with out trial for just being with Brandon. Aerys was a tyrant and deserved the sword slid across his throat, him and his son are the ones to blame for Robert's Rebellion. Robert and his allies finally liberated Westeros from their monstrous overlords and if the drunken fool did one thing worthy of praise, that was it.

23 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Lyanna was 16 when she died. I agree that if she had had a copy of Game of Thrones on her bedside table at Winterfell, she would likely have chosen to marry Robert (however reluctantly).

Robert was a charismatic and talented military leader but not cut out for ruling at all and poor husband material. I actually like Stannis despite his flaws and less than winning personality but I wouldn't want to be married to him. Being married to Renly might be ok if I were Loras. Renly's smart but also spoiled, entitled and unscrupulous. if you put all three in a centrifuge, you might be able to extract one good king who people would actually want to follow.

Ned seems to have idolised young Robert (Nedbert forever) because he appeared to have the qualities that Westerosi men admire. However, from the little info we have, Robert didn't look so good through Lyanna's eyes. You're right in saying that nobody cared about Lyanna's opinion but maybe they should have, given the way things turned out.

If Lyanna had already been married at Harrenhall - maybe if she were a couple of years older - I doubt that she would have had the chance to impress Rhaegar with her jousting skills and I suspect that is the reason he named her Queen of Love and Beauty. However, Rhaegar and Robert were cousins and paths would have crossed over time. Unhappy, resentful young wives might still find themselves attracted to handsome princes.

My mistake sorry, yes 16 but it doesn´t change the tragic amount of lifetime...

My point was not Robert's compatibility with Lyanna nor his lack of ruling will...the point was just to highlight Robert's military IQ and to differenciate laziness with lack of intellect (he's fat and drunk hence he's an oaf hulkster flawed logic)... Stannis and Renly more of the same, the 3 brothers are intelectualy well positioned by the books

In regards to Lyanna, nowadays i would be the first to tell her to follow her heart and be happy with no repercursions at all, sadly in medieval times she (and her brothers) would be rickard's property and it would be expected of her to have the idea that running away (if true) with rhaegar would cause trouble, it did, big time...

If Lyanna is already married at Harrenhal it really limits the ability of both Lyanna and Rhaegar to do what they did.  Lyanna is probably not going to be wandering around the tourney site alone, able to defend Howland Reed with a tourney sword.  In any case,it will be difficult for her to become the Knight of the Laughing Tree.  

And as for Rhaegar declaring her Queen of Love and Beauty, forget it.  It was a major scandal ("the smiles all died") when she was merely betrothed.  Doing that with someone who is actually married would have been something I think even Rhaegar would have avoided.  And if he had, Lyanna would probably not have been in any kind of a position to be abducted, with or without her participation.  

Having her married makes the story impossible, but no because of any vows.  It is because their own actions and those of other people would have been different in that case,making Rhaegar's (and Lyanna's) actions effectively impossible.

In my opinion had Lyanna and Robert been married by the time Harenhall happened.It would have made a difference in some regards and not in others.Rhaegar wouldn't have done what he did with that stunt crowning Lyanna.However,the rebellion would have still happened.Another straw beside Brandon riding off to KL would have start that ball rolling.

Archived