Speculations on the Final Training of the Faceless Men (potential spoilers)

The Dew

What if the the final training for one to become a no one, or a FM, is to remove his own face? Acolytes are at some point given the task of tending the dead and remove their faces. What if this procedure has a dual purpose, namely to remove the face of the dead and repopulate their collection on the hall of the faces, and also as a practice so that each acolyte can learn to remove his/her face so that he/she can technically become a no one. If we bring today's logic in the game, then this cannot happen as the person performing the operation on one's self will most probably die, and I am not going to employ today's logic to a fantasy universe. I am pretty sure that if that can happen it will be involving serious magic as well. So far it has been shown that FM become FM by discarding their idenity in a allegorical way and on top of their face to add any face from their collection. There is a lot of mystery around it, at least for me, and this was expanded when the Waif and Arya duelled inside the dark room. I doubt that this is the case as it will perplex Arya's storyline, but an Arya-looking FM next to the Stark family will be something useful if the FM have their own agenda. 

This is similar to an article written by Charlie Jane Anders in Wired.  However, the Comic Con panel comments by Faye Marsay indicate that while she likes the idea, it's not happening. Also see her interview in Hollywood Reporter

As much as I'm sad that I'm now off of the show, I think that storyline needed to be concluded that way. I'm rooting for Arya and Maisie as well.

Rhaegun many thanks for that. Training-wise though, FM do they remove their faces as well? It is ok for Arya to be Arya, I really enjoy her storyline, but in general do they remove it, and keep it as well along with other faces they remove?

Archived