Am I The Only One Around Here Who....

siyxx

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

AITOOAH who wonders if there is a difference in glamouring through a moonstone as opposed to a ruby? Like, do they share the same "root" magic?

I think yes. I have never been that deeply interested in how magic works. 

Am I the only one around here who doesn't particularly love the Starks and finds them seriously overrated? 

while i do agree they are sort of boring in the way they keep getting killed off...but i think the starks have played a pivital role in keeping WW and endless winter at bay...and in the war to come...with Arya and Bran ending up being the most underrated of series...

that said i wish that some more interesting and exciting family could have been the main one...though at this moment i can't imagine which one...

:dunno:

2 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

snip> and that's messy.

also flaming troll is a stink you just can't get rid of...

:smoking:

4 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

while i do agree they are sort of boring in the way they keep getting killed off...but i think the starks have played a pivital role in keeping WW and endless winter at bay...and in the war to come...with Arya and Bran ending up being the most underrated of series...

that said i wish that some more interesting and exciting family could have been the main one...though at this moment i can't imagine which one...

Keep getting killed off? Only Ned, Cat and Robb have been killed off, the rest of them are OK (unless you actually believe Jon will stay dead in the books). There's been just as many if not more dead Lannisters (more, if you count the cousins, though they're a numerous extended family, plus Tyrek is missing) and there's likely to be more, so I guess they're also "boring". The Tullys have lost Hoster, Cat and Lysa and there's just Edmure at the moment (unless you count the little Starks), the Greyjoys are down Balon and a whole bunch of brothers and sons that died before the series even started and Victarion and Damphair's chances of survival don't look good, the Targs are almost gone, the Arryns...well there weren't many to begin with and Jon Arryn died before the series even started, the Baratheons are currently down to Stannis, Shireen and a few bastards, the Martells are down Oberyn and Quentyn (so far), the Tyrells have been lucky before but things aren't looking that great now...

I guess they are all "boring"!

1 hour ago, Count Balerion said:

Am I ... who rather likes GRRM's archaisms, things like "whickering" and "destrier" and whatnot? (Although he annoys me when he says "wroth" for "wrath") They're pretty mild, too.

Nah, I like to have a bit of medieval speak. I don't know why people get annoyed with it. I don't find "nuncle" irritating either (it was still used in 16th century, it can be found in Shakespeare! GRRM didn't invent it!)

AITOOAH who really doesn't care if GRRM made a few minor mistakes with stuff like gender of a horse, Renly's eye color or Jeyne's hips?

7 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

<snip>

I guess they are all "boring"!

<snip>

AITOOAH who really doesn't care if GRRM made a few minor mistakes with stuff like gender of a horse, Renly's eye color or Jeyne's hips?

i am sure i didn't say anything like this. i think the starks are boring because they keep being honorable and doing their duty and then being killed...even though many other families have been killed off they all had sparks and excitement...give me daenerys, varys, tyrion dragons and the dothraki any day...screw the starks...(well except for arya who is a hell cat and will bring excitement to her house!)

...but as always, miss snow, feel free to disagree since every word i write is just this asshole's opinion

oh and no i really don't care about any thing that folks might think is wrong with language choices etc. made my Martin...

am i the only one around here who gets tired of endless debate and just enjoys the books and show for their simple entertainment value

8 minutes ago, rocksniffer said:

i am sure i didn't say anything like this. i think the starks are boring because they keep being honorable and doing their duty and then being killed...even though many other families have been killed off they all had sparks and excitement...give me daenerys, varys, tyrion dragons and the dothraki any day...screw the starks...(well except for arya who is a hell cat and will bring excitement to her house!)

? Dany is primarily driven by a sense of duty - to her family, and to her people (from her Dothraki, to the freed slaves of Slaver's Bay). Tyrion was doing his duty by his family right until they turned against him, arrested him and tried to get him executed. And it's funny that your idea of excitement are the Dothraki, who basically just do whatever they're told by their khal or khaleesi (heck, Irri even has sex with Dany out of duty!) and have barely had lines in the last few books, and dragons - beings that don't even talk - and don't even get POVs like the direwolves do!

am i the only one around here who gets tired of endless debate and just enjoys the books and show for their simple entertainment value

Probably. People come to forums to debate. You can't escape debating, as this thread has just proven! :devil:

AITOOAH who is freaking tired of the way the ASOAIF fandom uses, overuses and abuses the word "honor"?

Probably not. It's hard for a lot of modern people to wrap their heads around medieval understandings of such concepts.

RE: Bran & Arya, I have Bran in my endgame ideas, and Arya surviving and being important.

RE: moonstone glamouring...so far we haven't seen it in the series so we don't know if it's possible. But I'd imagine the result would be more...icy?

AITOOAHW wants to see Rickon and Shaggy come back to kick major butt? Kid has potential to be a little badass.

You're definitely not the only one, though I have my own fear/prediction, which leads to:

AITOOAHW thinks there's a possibility that Rickon and Shaggy's storyline would end up as some kind of a GRRM's personal joke, being an exploit of his own version of Shaggy Dog story? 

I never thought of this before, but no, you aren't, I can absolutely see this happening. 

Am I the only one around here who enjoyed learning a bit about the beauty and cosmetics tricks of Westeros here and there (for example, Sansa being prepped for her wedding to Tyrion, Daenerys being prepped for the Illyiro and Dothraki feast, etc)? I found that interesting. 

Not at all. That's a definite part of any culture and it says a lot about GRRM that he remembered and included such things. 

AITOOAHW would love to host a small ASOIAF convention composed of members of Forumos, with refreshments straight from the series (except that weird Meereenese food)?

19 hours ago, DutchArya said:

The problem is the fact that some segments of the fandom pigeon-holed Bran & Arya into a Tree or the HoBW, effectively reducing any impact they may have on the story going forward. 

~Awkward~ after S6 and both Starks leave their Tree/Cave and the HoBW/FM situations. lol

These two have huge roles to play and its gonna be amusing seeing how wrong some of the readers were in underestimating their importance. 

:D So true...glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

@The Fattest Leech that's a really intriguing thought. Didn't our man BR use that when he glamoured himself as Maynard Plumm?

@Lady Blizzardborn You're not alone there. Maybe there could be one dish from each of the 7 kingdoms. Plus,playing Pictionary and Mafia would be way easier in person ;) 

AITOOAH who really liked Sansa's golden wedding gown during her Tyrion marriage on the show?  

I probably liked it. I don't recall. But speaking of Sansa ...

AITO... thought moving Sansa to Winterfell could have worked, if it hadn't been horribly botched? I guess that's another way of saying it could have worked, if it had worked (!). Mainly, if they had stayed closer to Theon storyline in DWD and above all hadn't turned the North into a carpet for Ramsay to stomp all over, and had put Sansa in a role analogous to the Wildling women (or Manderly) in the book.

No, I never thought there was anything wrong with the idea of putting Sansa on the Jeyne storyline. The problem was that they botched it because it threw Sansa's character development out of the window and she has been all over the place ever since, plus having Sansa didn't actually affect Ramsay's political position in any way, he was just fine with and without her too. Still, this was waaaaay better than having Sansa sit around with Sweetrobin for an entire season. 

Am I the only one around here who thought Tommen was in a way worse than Joffrey and missed poor Joff every time Tommen had screentime in season 6 and thought that Margaery must have felt the same? 

No, I sometimes do that when I'm bored on public transport. Actually there's usually a person or two on public transport who's wearing an actual asoiaf house t shirt or jumper, I always smile at them and they probably think I'm creepy. 

Am I the only one around here who tried to make every single family member and close friend watch Game of Thrones? 

Not even close. I got all my family members, many friends and a few girlfriends along the way to watch it. My main goal was to get them to read the books, but only a few did. People are scared of long books, it seems.

AITOOAHW feels kind of bad that I don't really like the show anymore? I'll always get excited texts, or when I see someone they always wanna talk about recent episodes/events and I feel like a black cloud when I say I wasn't into it, or just didn't see it. 

5 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Not even close. I got all my family members, many friends and a few girlfriends along the way to watch it. My main goal was to get them to read the books, but only a few did. People are scared of long books, it seems.

AITOOAHW feels kind of bad that I don't really like the show anymore? I'll always get excited texts, or when I see someone they always wanna talk about recent episodes/events and I feel like a black cloud when I say I wasn't into it, or just didn't see it. 

Terrified. 800-page long story?! Wait, what, that's only the first book?! Ok, bye. Annoyingly, when I say it's a great story that's worth watching (and reading), it's "ok, bye". When three 16-year-old boys say it's some fuckin' awesome shit, it's "aww, it really is, I'll read the books too!". Kids these days. 

And no, I feel kinda bad for not liking the show too. I had such high hopes for this season, but it was quite poor. And I come off as a complete freak at 2am when my sister is dancing around her room because Cersei is finally queen and I say that was the dumbest, most rubbish thing I have ever seen. Oh well. 

Am I the only one around here who is at this point convinced that the only "canon" ending the story is going to get is the one we will see in Game of Thrones season 8? 

Oh no, I have this deep dark feeling in the depths of my being as well, and I'm sure many do. It seems GRRM is better at creating brilliant characters and story ideas than at construction, and construction is important. The story got out of control with all the byways in the last two books. Oh well; Canterbury Tales is a masterpiece and it's incomplete too, so I suppose ASOIAF is in good company if it doesn't ever reach its conclusion. But bother. (I haven't completely given up hope, though.)

AITO ... wishes there were a region or continent called Weirderos?

hahahaha no i am sure i would be happiest in weirderos...

to also comment on the idea that season 8 will be the best i can hope for...yeah i am there... at my age, almost 65, i am losing hope to be able to read the final results, so all i hope for is some resolution of my big questions on the show...

am i ....who thinks the end game will include the end of the white walkers through a reversal of the magic used to create them, not just through killing off the night king

Archived