Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

On 3/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

My new favorite lipstick is Berry Haute from Revlon. Holy gods it's the orchid/purple lipstick I've been looking for. Elder Sis you gotta try it.

I've been wearing their Blackberry for decades.  It's beautiful.

Don't use anything with mica that promises to "highlight" your features. That shit glows like road stripes under TV lighting conditions (I know this because I asked this very thing of my makeup artist in those wonderful days when I had to do TV segments...)

In general, stick with mattes for setting powder, blush, and eyeshadow, and a creme for lipstick. Don't do a "nude" lip. Pick a color that's actually a color, and at least a shade darker than your natural lips. If you use foundation, make sure you blend that MF really well, especially at the hairline and jawline. If you fill in your eyebrows, stick with a color as close to your natural color as possible. 

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Don't use anything with mica that promises to "highlight" your features. That shit glows like road stripes under TV lighting conditions (I know this because I asked this very thing of my makeup artist in those wonderful days when I had to do TV segments...)

In general, stick with mattes for setting powder, blush, and eyeshadow, and a creme for lipstick. Don't do a "nude" lip. Pick a color that's actually a color, and at least a shade darker than your natural lips. If you use foundation, make sure you blend that MF really well, especially at the hairline and jawline. If you fill in your eyebrows, stick with a color as close to your natural color as possible. 

Thanks X-Ray!   I will post the videos when they're done.  CLOTHES AND MAKE UP ARE TOOOOO MUCH WORK!

• 2 weeks later...

Splurged on a fancy-pants lipstick (one that lots of people seem to rave about) and I am sad to report that it's bullshit. I mean, I will give it this: it's super-moisturizing. But it has uneven wear and no staying power. Fail. (It was an Edward Bess lipstick for those who are curious.)

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

My new favorite lipstick is Berry Haute from Revlon. Holy gods it's the orchid/purple lipstick I've been looking for. Elder Sis you gotta try it.

I am very intrigued by this Berry Haute.  I will check it out!

In other news, I am wearing my hair curly in its natural state.   I look like 1985 and I'm not even sorry.  A hummingbird swerved too close this morning and nearly got stuck.  I am bringing big hair BACK, baby.  

"Why, Elder Sister?" you plaintively ask.  

BECAUSE I CAN.  BECAUSE I'M LAZY.  BECAUSE I'M SICK OF BLOWING OUT MY HAIR FOR AN HOUR.  And let's face it; gigantic hair is strangely compelling.  And it makes my body look smaller.

Lately I've had to steer away from any eye makeup because my eyes are kinda sensitive due to allergy season. That's been both very freeing and very boring. So I've been going all-out with the lipstick. I am sad to report that I just cannot do the metal foil lipsticks. I love them, they look great, but the formulas are just not all that awesome. Uneven wearing and, paradoxically, nearly impossible to remove without makeup remover. Fuck that shit. If anyone has had great experience with one of these, please let me know.

Speaking of hair, are salon shampoos worth it? I have very fine  straight  hair and have to wash every day. All products just weigh it down.  Curl lasts about half a day.  

in my experience, I think it depends on your hair. I've run the entire gamut from cheap to $$$$ on haircare, and found that there's not much difference between them when it comes to shampoo and (usually) conditioner. You will see a difference with styling products, though, although I happily get away with generally inexpensive stuff there too. But I have coarse wavy/curly hair (2C or 3A, for those of you who know your curl categories) and therefore my hair has very different needs than yours. It could be that you really do need some special extra-fancy stuff. Do you have a stylist that you trust? She/he/they should be able to steer you in the right direction. 

My hair is thin-ish and was very weighed down by the end of the day. I switched from a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner  (Joivo, from Ulta) to a volumimizing one  (Tresemme, drug store) and only condition the ends and it's made all the difference. I do a hair mask every week/other week. My hair is poker straight because I dry it that way most days but it has some life to it. I do use a thermal styling creme for blow-drying (Parlor, from Birchbox).

Salon products are more important to coloured hair ime. Though, as I hurtle towards the 50 side of my 40s, my hair texture has changed some which is apparently a thing that happens. 

Anyways, Kerastase which I've bought at the salon and through Birchbox is probably the best stuff (and most expensive) I've used for thin hair. Davines is nice too, and slightly less expensive. They don't lather like a drug store shampoo.

http://www.kerastase-usa.com/bain-cristal-fine/CBCF000.html?cgid=cleanse-shampoo&dwvar_CBCF000_size=250ML#start=13&cgid=cleanse-shampoo

http://www.davines.com/en/both/shampoo

Kair: we're both on the slippery slope to 50 ;). I mostly use Tresemme volumizing and only condition the ends. My locks look great right after I've blown dry (upside down) with some lifting spritz I got at the salon) but at the end of the day.... not so much. My daughter has poker straight, corn silk soft and fine blonde hair all the way down her back. (Think 1970's California girl model). She will either love it or hate it later. 

10 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

Speaking of hair, are salon shampoos worth it? I have very fine  straight  hair and have to wash every day. All products just weigh it down.  Curl lasts about half a day.  

I aso hAve very fine straight hair and I'm just butting in to say I'm glad there's at least another person that washes their hair every day because I'm always told off for it?? BUT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND! If I don't wash my hair it is DISGUSTING 

50 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I aso hAve very fine straight hair and I'm just butting in to say I'm glad there's at least another person that washes their hair every day because I'm always told off for it?? BUT THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND! If I don't wash my hair it is DISGUSTING 

Indeed! Though this switch in my routine has allowed me second day hair on the weekends with dry shampoo if I'm feeling less gross than usual. 

Archived