Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

Red lipstick = YAY (I own at least a dozen). If you don't regularly wear brightly colored lipstick it will look overmuch at first. But stick with it, because red is one of those classic colors. Also, experiment with different reds -- if a true red looks too much, try a blue-toned one. 

Re: powders -- I rarely use foundation but I've had great experiences with NARS in both liquid foundation and powder. 

I mostly own red lipsticks. I bought a pink lipstick (Sweetie by Mac) for the first time a couple of months ago. I kind of like it, but I suspect that no one other than my mother notice when I'm wearing it. 

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Deedles said:

Speak to me of powders, blushes etc of wise people of the Board.

Lisa Eldridge's videos are super helpful for all things makeup.  She has a video on brushes and you will find an assortment of videos that cover blushes.

http://www.lisaeldridge.com/video/basics/

I have a question that isn't really makeup but borders the territory and isn't a topic for its own post...does anyone have any recommendations for a eye sleep mask?  I don't want a silky one, I'd prefer something in cotton.  And I have a larger head so would prefer something that was adjustable and not completely reliant on an elastic band for staying on.  I've looked in some stores but seen absolutely nothing so it looks like I will be looking online but there are so many and its hard to wade through the sea of choices.

Well, funnily enough I literally just bought a new sleep mask following a rec from someone on this board. Unfortunately for you it is a silky one. I love it. It has an adjustable strap and is working really well so far. 

So red lipstick yay and pink lipstick also yay. This is good. I will kiss the sky.

Anyhow, as with powder, I live in the freaking sticks (apparently?) cos we have the absolute default standard stuff  + Urban Decay (which is New and Exciting) and it seems even amazon.co.uk won't deliver almost anything but books here. *sigh* I need to go abroad if only to a. be able to get proper make-up and b. cheaper booze. It's a crisis situation, really.

Oh, I also got myself a CC cream from some fancy ass "for Scandinavian skin so it will cost you €€" brand while it was on sale and I think the only thing it does is bring forth my impending wrinkles, which powder really doesn't. What's the point of make-up that makes you look *more* wrinkled than the default state?

It also annoys me that a primer that would cost me €5 in the UK will be prized at €12 here. FML. :blink:

Isis, what is the brand of the one you got? Perhaps they make a non silky one.

Lyanna, totally agree. I got some under eye concealer last year and it did cover the purple but brought to light lines I never knew I had!

Lyanna, Reds come in all colors.  There are a TON that would look great on your coloring that look HOT PINK on me.  I need a deep deep blue base or an orange to get a "red" for my skin.  Can you get L'Oréal there?  They have so many reds I forget which one I am wearing.

10 hours ago, Isis said:

It amuses me that the image is of a woman's head wearing a gold lamé shower cap.

Well sadly I get no such image.  I was rather looking forward to seeing that.  But I just get plain images of eye masks.  How strange.

Hmm seems they only make silky eye masks or wool beanie caps.  I must continue in my quest...

12 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

Lyanna, Reds come in all colors.  There are a TON that would look great on your coloring that look HOT PINK on me.  I need a deep deep blue base or an orange to get a "red" for my skin.  Can you get L'Oréal there?  They have so many reds I forget which one I am wearing.

Ya we have L'Oreal, but I ended up raiding the Max Factor aisle since it a. had those colours (every other brand I saw had all these muted ladylike colours, haha no tyvm :P ) and b. didn't break my bank since I had to go get shoes for kiddies. Got a HOT PINK Lipstick and a Cherry Red one, too, with matching nailpolish, and an awesome intense Azure coloured blue nailpolish too. 

Now I just need some glitter and glue-on silver stars and I am set!!

16 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

ILyanna, totally agree. I got some under eye concealer last year and it did cover the purple but brought to light lines I never knew I had!

Yes! This seems to be the case with a lot on concealers and foundation. Considering women over 35 are buying a lot of make-up and prolly have more money than our younger sisters, figuring out how to make that stuff without it enhancing wrinkles seems to be an obvious thing to do. But then what do I know. :P

Due to a recent cutback in income, I no longer feel comfortable spending $200 to get my hair done, even though it's basically my only "high maintenance" item. So I decided to bite the bullet and figure out how to bleach my own hair. Which is terrifying. I did a test strip today though and so far it hasn't fallen out of my head, so perhaps tomorrow I'll work up to doing my whole head. I only have to do the top couple inches at least.

Starkness,

My hairdresser uses Olaplex with the bleach.  I opted for it because I went from dark red to platinum.   If you are nervous about home bleaching, you might think about using it.  My hair still feels like hair and it's been under 40 volume bleach for over 3 hours at this point (three treatments 4 weeks apart).   Mixing a toner into your shampoo and conditioner should be easy enough for the rest of the hair, though you may need to treat that every 6-8 weeks or so depending on what color blonde you are.  

18 hours ago, Isis said:

Have you thought about going the other way and colouring it instead of bleaching it? It's cheaper, easier and less risky to do at home than bleaching.

Gotta bleach it before I color--trying to maintain pink hair when my natural is dark brown. :)

Ah, I see. I thought you were just going lighter. I look at some of these great colours like green and blue and would love to do it but I know that I'm too low maintenance to deal with the upkeep. Alas. 

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Ah, I see. I thought you were just going lighter. I look at some of these great colours like green and blue and would love to do it but I know that I'm too low maintenance to deal with the upkeep. Alas. 

Turquoise in Jerome Russell Punky Colour (which you can get at Ulta) lasts sooooo long compared to other brights, and fades in nice ways too. Same with their violet shade, which starts out extremely dark, takes a long time to fade (I've never gotten it out completely without bleaching). These are my two go to low maintenance brights

The bleaching went okay! Not perfectly, but since it was my first time and I saved over $100, I'm happy with it. Going to go to a cheapo salon to get a hair cut later this week because my ends are wrecked and no way am I trying to cut my own hair.

9 hours ago, Isis said:

That was my big worry about going pink, but it's actually been pretty manageable. I refresh the pink every month or so (very easy to do, just slather on my hair and leave in a shower cap for an hour and rinse) and have been going to the salon to get new bleach every 3-4 months. I leave dark roots so that it grows out nicely in between. The biggest pain is probably trying to wash the pink out of my shower!

4 hours ago, Kelli Fury said:

Turquoise in Jerome Russell Punky Colour (which you can get at Ulta) lasts sooooo long compared to other brights, and fades in nice ways too. Same with their violet shade, which starts out extremely dark, takes a long time to fade (I've never gotten it out completely without bleaching). These are my two go to low maintenance brights

Hmm. I have never bleached my hair before, aside from a single disastrous salon episode where I had some highlights in my dark red hair and all the bleached bits matted like fuck and had to be cut out.

Now would be a good time to do something extreme colour-wise, as my hair is pretty short right now (too short to put up at all). Violet would be dreamy. 

If you are worried about damaging your hair you can use olaplex (if you can get it, though it's kind of expensive), or you can use 20 volume developer and leave it on longer for the same amount of lift. If you use 30 or 40 volume, leave it less time

Archived