Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

Sephora understands that I'm highly interested in samples and minis and lured me in with a new set of things I don't need - a dry shampoo favourites set. And as it's my birthday month I scooped up my gift, which was a choice between Tarte cosmetics and Caudalie skin care. I went Tarte, which included the Amazonian clay blush in Paaarty and matte liquid lipstick in Birthday Suit which I totally love! I claimed a free Kat Von D eye liner with an email code that will be amusing to try seeing as I can't see enough without my glasses to manage beyond applying shadow with the pad of my finger. I also snagged a Bite Beauty mini in Beetroot.

Hurray for free stuff! 

Aaaaand I booked my Balayage appointment for the day before vacation at the end of July. Rose Gold hair, here I come! 

20 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

This might just be the oddest question ever asked about makeup, but does anyone know of eye makeup that holds uo when it is 110 degrees out. I find that even waterproof mascara doesn't hold up to sweat.

Either from sweat or from splashing my face with water to cool down I end up looking like a raccoon. But I don't wear waterproof mascara anymore. Sorry that your waterproof mascara smears. Maybe you should try another brand. 

Personally, those kind of days I go without make up or just putting my make up once I reach the office where the ac is running.  

21 hours ago, Robin Of House Hill said:

This might just be the oddest question ever asked about makeup, but does anyone know of eye makeup that holds uo when it is 110 degrees out. I find that even waterproof mascara doesn't hold up to sweat.

I've never used this particular mascara but it comes highly rated and is specific to sweat and swim activities. 

http://www.eyeko.com/eyeko-sport-waterproof-mascara

Cargo has a line of 'swimmable' cosmetics. The eye pencil is so-so

http://www.cargocosmetics.com/palettes-collections/swimmable.html

And these 'beauty'sites have some suggestions 

http://www.elle.com/beauty/makeup-skin-care/tips/g8164/best-sweat-proof-beauty-products/

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/advice/g2032/sweat-proof-makeup/

The best way I've found to keep mascara from running in the heat is to use a primer. I use this one: http://www.sephora.com/diorshow-maximizer-3d-triple-volume-plumping-lash-primer-P408966

Other options include: use a clear mascara, or at least don't go for the carbon-black colors; don't wear it; adopt the ultra smoky-eye look so wandering mascara becomes just part of the effect. 

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

The best way I've found to keep mascara from running in the heat is to use a primer. I use this one: http://www.sephora.com/diorshow-maximizer-3d-triple-volume-plumping-lash-primer-P408966

Other options include: use a clear mascara, or at least don't go for the carbon-black colors; don't wear it; adopt the ultra smoky-eye look so wandering mascara becomes just part of the effect. 

Thanks.  I'll check into that.  Not wearing it, seems the most practical.  The smoky look would have worked in Hollywood, but in Tucson, it would attract more attention than I prefer.

• 5 weeks later...

Reporting back that the Urban Decay Heat palette is nice, but not for me. I finally got a gander at a local Sephora, and the colors are really nice, I don't think it's a palette I'd use too often and thus wouldn't be worth a full-price purchase. 

I took a chance on the new Bite Beauty liquid lipsticks and bought Demi-glace. It's a weird formula -- reminds me of a potted lip lacquer I bought back in the day. Opaque color, but the super-tacky texture of a thick lipgloss. I blot the hell out of it, which leaves a sheer chocolate-mauve tint. The tint is quite nice and it lasts a decent amount of time, but I don't think that's how it's supposed to be used, so.... you might want to give it a try before you buy. The colors are pretty nice, though, so points for that.

On 30/07/2017 at 3:11 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Reporting back that the Urban Decay Heat palette is nice, but not for me. I finally got a gander at a local Sephora, and the colors are really nice, I don't think it's a palette I'd use too often and thus wouldn't be worth a full-price purchase.

I am inherently excited for this release, yet I know it's pointless me buying it as I'll never use those mad colours.

I am still looking for a palette of pale shimmery shades. Think 1980's two tone combo shadow sets where you get a pale frosty shade and a darker frosty shade of the same colour. I specifically want lilac/purple, green, silver/grey but I want them all in a single palette, damn it.

While packing, I found a 15-20 year old tube of Urban Decay lipstick.  Yes, I opened it.  I expected it to smell like vile rotten butter and wax.  I was prepared to wear it anyway.  Instead it was empty.  I was so disappointed.

On 8/1/2017 at 4:33 AM, Isis said:

I am inherently excited for this release, yet I know it's pointless me buying it as I'll never use those mad colours.

I am still looking for a palette of pale shimmery shades. Think 1980's two tone combo shadow sets where you get a pale frosty shade and a darker frosty shade of the same colour. I specifically want lilac/purple, green, silver/grey but I want them all in a single palette, damn it.

I love the Urban Decay Rose palette - it's gorgeous.  I use it nearly every day.

Has anyone tried the Trestique makeup?  I am intrigued by this.  The stupid name is not so intriguing. It's pricey and I am not willing to commit to $175 to try this stuff out.  But I watched a video, and the idea of being able to draw on my makeup is compelling, for some reason.  I have no idea what that's about, but those chubby pencils with the sponges on the ends of them are appealing.  :D

19 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

I love the Urban Decay Rose palette - it's gorgeous.  I use it nearly every day.

Has anyone tried the Trestique makeup?  I am intrigued by this.  The stupid name is not so intriguing. It's pricey and I am not willing to commit to $175 to try this stuff out.  But I watched a video, and the idea of being able to draw on my makeup is compelling, for some reason.  I have no idea what that's about, but those chubby pencils with the sponges on the ends of them are appealing.  :D

I have a Trestique cover up stick I received as a sample and I like it. I generally use my fingers to apply/spread my makeup out. I have a lip and cheek stick from Milk that I really like. 

https://milkmakeup.com/products/lip-cheek

Do not like Nudestix, however. They don't seem spreadable. Too hard and pull on the skin.

On 03/08/2017 at 11:00 PM, Elder Sister said:

I can't see one called Rose - do you mean the Naked 3 palette (one with all the pink/gold shades)? That's pretty but not god for my pasty colouring. I am more grey/green/lilac...

I have all of the naked palettes. Heat and 3 are AMAZING if your skin is more cool toned, probably wouldn't be if you're more of a warm tone. I still say the Too Faced Sweet Peach is my all time favorite plus it smells fucking great. It's like having fragrant candy eyelids

On 8/7/2017 at 3:34 AM, Isis said:

I can't see one called Rose - do you mean the Naked 3 palette (one with all the pink/gold shades)? That's pretty but not god for my pasty colouring. I am more grey/green/lilac...

Yes - that's the one.  I love that one and use it constantly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived