Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

Sorry to hear this, Kair. :(

I use a Boots No 7daily moisturiser which is about SPF 20 ish I think. It's very light in texture. I would like to think that SPF rating/strength is not directly proportional to the consistency of the moisturiser. 

The only Aveeno product I've used is a handcream, which was intentionally 'thick'.  I don't get along with Neutrogena stuff as I find it waxy. 

It's almost like you need a personal shopper to take you around every beauty counter in a department store to test each product. If it can be done for clothes shopping, can it be done for beauty products I wonder?

I think it's the oxybenzone and avobenzone that usually causes burning and itching in sunscreens, and those are pretty frequently found in a ton of them, especially spf-lotion combos.   

I know you're looking for a combo one, but I've good luck with this straight mineral sunscreen from La Roche Posay.   I layer it over a regular cream every morning.  It never looks white in my experience, but if that's a concern, it also comes in a tinted formula.   It kind of reminds me of the Hourglass primer in terms of consistency.   (Warning-- this is the popular la roche posay suncreen everyone raves about that looks almost identical, but it's the "chemical" version containing those benzones).

Thank you for the suggestions!

I forgot I had a sample of the tinted La Roche-Posay which I will take for a spin on the weekend. I tried out the Neutrogena sample over some serum and everything was great for about 10 minutes. Ever since I've been going through phases of redness and itching. Ugh. And it smells like sunscreen which I accept for outdoors but not in my office. 

@Xray the Enforcer do you use a moisturizer underneath the Shiseido? I have a sample of it but I think it's old enough that I have to toss it.

Everything about this has me annoyed, frustrated, and maybe a little scared. But I'll sort it out. I need some fashionable hats now as well because baseball caps will no longer cut it.

18 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I use moisturizer underneath. Right now it's Neutrogena Night Cream (the joys of winter and growing older). In the summer it's Kiehl's. The Shiseido is great because it's super-light. Not sticky at all.

Kair - I have very pale, very sensitive skin.  I wear this Kiehls product under my makeup every morning.  For foundation, I then layer on  Chanel Vitalumiere which has another spf 15.

Kair, I use the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer but it only has SPF 20.  I can sympathize, I just had a suspicious tiny freckle looking thing removed from my knee last week which turned out to be the most minor of its type but still needed to be removed as it was borderline.  I can guarantee my knee hasn't seen the sun in over 20 years so sometimes you just get these things.  On average I need about 1 removed every other year.

I'm generally not one for lists in women's magazines but this list which came out earlier this month actually looks somewhat decent.  Some of the products already mentioned in this thread are listed here:

https://www.allure.com/gallery/best-moisturizers-with-spf

15 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Thank you for the suggestions! I will hit up ULTA at lunch Friday (hopefully) and try to get some samples. My Mohs surgery is scheduled for next Friday. 

I've got nothing to offer on the sunscreen, but I hope your surgery goes well.  Speedy recovery, Kair.

I recently found myself watching an infomercial for airbrushed foundation at 4 in the morning.  And yes, the women looked strangely blurred....and yes, their color was weird.  But I was transfixed.  I'm not going to buy it, but man, I wanted to airbrush my face off.

4 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I recently found myself watching an infomercial for airbrushed foundation at 4 in the morning.  And yes, the women looked strangely blurred....and yes, their color was weird.  But I was transfixed.  I'm not going to buy it, but man, I wanted to airbrush my face off.

The makeup artist used that on the bridal party I was in a few years ago and it was awful. My face was tomato red from the arsenal of foundation daggers being launched into my skin. Once it calmed down it looked pretty nice for the photos but I'd never do it again. 

I decided to treat myself to this lipstick sampler and the Huda Strobe is like unicorn glitter for my lips and I love it. And the Smashbox metallic.

https://www.sephora.com/product/give-me-some-new-lip-kit-P426843

On 3/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

BTW I wore my Pat McGrath lipstick today, and legit that fucker lasted from 8am to 7pm. Through about 8 glasses of water, lunch, a snack, and a post-work cocktail. 

I have the two loudest Pat M colors, and they really do last forever, but I feel like if I'm not very careful with application, I look like my mouth has shifted on my face.  I could paint a whole mouth on my cheek and with those lipsticks, it would look REAL.  Very strange.

I'm not going to airbrush my face off, and yeah...I'm like kair.  My sensitive skin would probably burn off if I used something like that.  I was just very intrigued by how orange and blurry everyone looked in the infomercial.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried any of that Australian pink clay stuff on their face? It's meant to be like a clarifying, pore-shrinking, magical super power thingy product? 

I'm also in need of a gentle but effective exfoliator. I've been scolded before by beauticians for scrubbing my face too hard. 

Any suggestions? I need to be able to get stuff delivered to the UK without paying 30 odd quid for delivery. I mean, it depends how good a product it is, I guess. 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:00 PM, Isis said:

Has anyone tried any of that Australian pink clay stuff on their face? It's meant to be like a clarifying, pore-shrinking, magical super power thingy product? 

I'm also in need of a gentle but effective exfoliator. I've been scolded before by beauticians for scrubbing my face too hard. 

Any suggestions? I need to be able to get stuff delivered to the UK without paying 30 odd quid for delivery. I mean, it depends how good a product it is, I guess. 

I'd go for Benzacare's scrub from Galderma. It works for me. Once a week or once a fortnight if one doesn't have acne. It's used by people who have acne as a daily product, but now that I don't have acne anymore but I still have a sensitive skin it works very well just from time to time.

I also liked the Apricot Fruity Scrub from Yves Rocher. It smells so good...

Don't laugh, but if my face feels like it needs a good exfoliation, I'll just mix up a small batch of mashed up avocado and sugar.  Works pretty good.  An egg white applied once a week to your face, allowed to dry and tighten, then rinse off, works nicely as a complexion toner too.

Our weather has been HORRENDOUS lately, though.  I've been sweating through my face so much that even my Estee Lauder foundation has been hard pressed to stay on.  It's the only think that comes close to it, though.

Archived