Makeup VI : SPFantastic

kairparavel

I am not sure what local conditions are like for you, but with the turn of the season my hair and skin freak out. So...maybe it's not the oil-cleansing method that's causing your hair to be really dry? Also, some oils are harsher on your skin than others and can eventually over-dry. I can't remember which ones though.

Yeah, it could be, but our autumn is so mild its hard to believe, and the rains haven't really started yet. It's been 18-25 degrees day and night all month. I might need to get more sophisticated with the oil-cleanse, because it is more pleasant than using soap for me (today I just did nothing and it seems to have balanced out a bit and my face feels normal) and I've just been using olive oil so far. I may need to try the more astringent types. The hair, alas, I think I'm giving up on at the moment. I've tried quitting shampoo a few times before, and either I'm doing it wrong, or it just benefits from being washed. (I only shampoo once every 4-5 days though.)

Yeah I can't do no-shampoo, but I have weaned myself off my previous frequency (3-4 times a week) and I usually only shampoo once a week now. You don't have to go all the way, just need to find a balance that works with your hair!

On 26/10/2017 at 0:57 PM, Datepalm said:

Yeah, it could be, but our autumn is so mild its hard to believe, and the rains haven't really started yet. It's been 18-25 degrees day and night all month. I might need to get more sophisticated with the oil-cleanse, because it is more pleasant than using soap for me (today I just did nothing and it seems to have balanced out a bit and my face feels normal) and I've just been using olive oil so far. I may need to try the more astringent types. The hair, alas, I think I'm giving up on at the moment. I've tried quitting shampoo a few times before, and either I'm doing it wrong, or it just benefits from being washed. (I only shampoo once every 4-5 days though.)

I've done the oil-cleansing thing a lot, and it really helped clear my skin up. I use a mix of castor oil and jojoba oil, though, and sometimes add a couple of drops of lavender or tea tree essential oils to my blended bottle of oil. 

I do moisturise afterwards, but I often actually just use a couple more drops of jojoba oil to do that. 

• 1 month later...

I was handed a Natura catalogue (Brazilian brand of cosmetics) a few days ago. I was looking for a particular lipstick that seems that is not continued anymore (at least in this last issue), but ended up shopping a couple of creams, a triphasic shower oil, and 2 metallic lipsticks. They are not the long lasting ones I was trying to purchase, but the colors got my attention. I bought Pink and Uva (metallic both). Although I checked some swatches before ordering, I'm not sure if they'll suit until I receive them. 

On the other hand, I'm having right now an allergic reaction (probably due to bedbugs or some other creature found in hostels' mattresses :angry:), so doctor said no creams, perfume, nor make up till the reaction calms down (and also diet, that is what is killing me right now :crying:).

• 4 weeks later...

YOU GUYS. There's this thing? This thing here -> Distortion from Urban Decay.

I'm kind of elated and annoyed at the same time. The top row, the ones they call shifts, are all the kind of thing I wanted in a single palette - ONLY light metallic shades. Goddamn, why can't someone make a palette like that? I already have enough that are big, bold colours. I want subtle shades so that I can do mostly light, with some dark accents. Most palettes seem to be the inverse of that.

But, I think I might need this one anyway, you know? Just in case. But in the meantime if you see anything which is just pale metallic shades please mention it in here.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

YOU GUYS. There's this thing? This thing here -> Distortion from Urban Decay.

I'm kind of elated and annoyed at the same time. The top row, the ones they call shifts, are all the kind of thing I wanted in a single palette - ONLY light metallic shades. Goddamn, why can't someone make a palette like that? I already have enough that are big, bold colours. I want subtle shades so that I can do mostly light, with some dark accents. Most palettes seem to be the inverse of that.

But, I think I might need this one anyway, you know? Just in case. But in the meantime if you see anything which is just pale metallic shades please mention it in here.

Kat Von D has a palette with only the shifts: 

https://www.katvondbeauty.com/shop-all-products/face/alchemist-holographic-palette/20915V1.html

Here's an all-light-metallic palette from ColourPop:

https://colourpop.com/products/golden-state-of-mind

Thank you. :) HIGHLIGHT EVERYTHING. Also, I timed this really badly as friend on holiday in new York messaged me yesterday asking if I wanted anything in Sephora and I could have sent her on a palette quest for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @kairparavel I bought three Fenty lipsticks. Shawty and Freckle Fiesta are good. Excellent coverage, good texture. The wear is good, too, although when Shawty goes, Shawty really goes. Griselda is a wonderful color, but the texture is just not there. I'll be giving that one a new home. 

I also bought a Pat McGrath lipstick in Major Red. Holy shitballs, that's a winner. It survived breakfast and lunch, tea and water, citrus fruit...seven hours and it did not budge. Even better, my lips did not dry out like they do with other longwear formulas. Those lipsticks are expensive, though, so I have to be a bit judicious in which ones I really want/need.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke down and went to ULTA last week and ended up with Pur 4 in 1 powder. I actually like it far better than Bare Minerals. I am not particularly fond of the mascara that came in the kit. Toying with the idea of getting the old standby, Maybelline Great Lash. Any sugestions?

And yes, I've been convinced to go for some Urban Decay eye pallettes.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's talk moisturizer with SPF.

I found out last week that I have a touch of basal cell carcinoma on my nose which is not awesome and kind of frustrating because I spend not even 10% of my time outdoors during the day. This is most likely related to all the sun and burns of my youth. I'm also now 33% more likely to get it again. I'm waiting on my referral for Mohs Surgery because some of the cell types were infiltrative and cutting them out is the only way to ensure they are gone. 

Anyways I've been not great wearing moisturizer with SPF because I find the ones I've used thick and heavy and some irritate my skin and I drive to and from work and seldom emerge from the building. BUT i always wear sunscreen (and a hat on sunny days) when i plan to be outside. I bought some Origins SPF 40 A Perfect World again because i know it won't irritate my face even if it feels a little slick by late afternoon.

I'm looking for recommendations for something that feels light and good for sensitive skin. My dermatologist recommends SPF 30-50 for basic everyday going to work wear. She likes Neutrogena and Aveeno products which I use for sunscreen and body wash/body lotion but not for everyday facial care. I have a sample of Neutrogena moisturizer to try out.

Archived