Casting for Robert's Rebellion

thewolfofStarfall

If there's a Robert's Rebellion film or miniseries, who would you cast for the characters. I have three actors I think would be good for Lyaanna Stark:

Kaya Scodelario

Kaya played Effy Stonem on the British teen drama Skins.  (Side note: the girl who plays Cassie on Skins also plays Gilly on GOT, so it would be kinda cool if Kaya got cast too). She was also in the film Maze Runner. Her natural hair texture seems to be curly/wavy akin Kit Harrington

India Eisley

She looks a little more like show-Jon in facial structure. She is close to how I pictured Lyanna in my head. The only potential con is that Eisley is American, but hopefully she'll be able to pull off a Northern English accent 

Ástrid Berges Frisbey

I'm  somewhat torn between Astrid as Lyanna Stark or Astrid as Ashara Dayne. A blogger had suggested that she play the former,and I thought she was  perfect for that role..then I saw I comment on here saying she could play Lyanna. It made realize she defiantly has a Stark look about her. In fact, I think she looks the most like Jon out of my 3 choices. Only potential drawback is that she is of French and Spanish citizenship, so I'm not sure how'll she fake an accent. In this respect, her French/Spanish accent might suit the role of Ashara Dayne better because it would sound like a Dornish  accent. However, Arthur Dayne doesn't speak like Oberyn Martell does, so I'm unclear if everyone in Dorne shares the same accent or not. Is the stony dornishmen accent different from the salty and sandy  dornishmen?

Remains cast:

Ned Stark- Robert Aramoyo. The show did really well in young Ned's casting  

Howland Reed -same as show Leo Woodruff

Brandon Stark- Ben Barnes

Robert Baratheon- Suggestions?

Rhaegar Targaryen- Suggestions? 

Elia Martell- Aiysha Hart 

Catelyn Tully- Taissa Farminga w/ auburn hair 

Ashara Dayne- Astrid Berges-Frisbey

Arthur Dayne- same as show Luke Roberts

Rhaella Targaryen- Charlize Theron or Lily Rabe

Jamie Lannister- Taron Egerton

Cersei Lannister-Suggestions?

Jonanna Lannister- Lily Rabe again. She's dead but the time of Robert's Rebellion, but they could feature the character in flashbacks 

Mad King Aerys- Jason Isaacs 

I think the girl they picked on the show (Aisling Francoisi) was actually a really good choice. She has a good resemblance to Maisie Williams:

http://pm1.narvii.com/6143/ecf4f10095bded37b616cfe6eb03c6a5fe061d76_hq.jpg

Otherwise, I agree with Kaya Scodelario. I pictured her as Lyanna in my head while reading the books.

Keep all who were shown in the show cast, i hate when they recast! still not over Darios change even if the second guy was as good in his performance it just looked out of place.

The pick for Robert based on the shows older Robert should be someone still around his show height.... would make no sense to cast a 6 foot 6 guy as his younger self then have him barely reaching 6 foot when he is 20-30 years older.

So I would be tempted by either the guy who played Cook in skins with a little more muscle put on and facial hair and lifts, or the guy who plays Bjorn on Vikings with hair darkened as he is 6 foot 2 and it could be  believable he lost a few inches with age.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that a lot would depend on whether it was a movie with around a 100 million dollar budget, or an HBO miniseries.  If it was a Movie then I have an off-the-wall suggestion for Aerys.  Now I don't know if he could do the accent but if he could, and again this may sound crazy, Jack Nicholson?  He has made a career of playing people who are psychopaths but at the same time he doesn't play them over the top.  His characters are often menacing without being cartoonish.  If it's a TV miniseries then how about Sir Patrick Stewart?

Others;

Young Robert Baratheon   I like the idea of Alexander Ludwig, Bjorn on "Vikings".  He's physically imposing.

Jaime Lannister,  Liam Hemsworth

Cersei, Karen Hansen, again from "Vikings"

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see anything based on and around the time of Roberts Rebellion.  GRRM himself said he has no intention on writing any side stories around that time (he said he considers it a waste of time since so much information is already given about it throughout the course of the books anyways).

With that said, HBO only bought the rights to produce the Book Series, and not any side stories (Dunk'n'Egg) or stories not written yet (Rebellion).  So unless GRRM changes his mind and/or gives HBO the rights to do it, sadly I don't see it happening.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Assuming they had all the budget in the world what about Ralph Fiennes as Tywin and Anthony Hopkins as the mad king. Maybe Hopkins would be too old for the role but Aery's did look older than he was at the point of the rebellion so it may work.

As for the main man Robert it seems Tom Hardy is the popular choice. He may be a bit small though and I can't picture him as Robert.What about Henry Cavill? He played in the tudors and is of reasonable height. 

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, SevasTra82 said:

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see anything based on and around the time of Roberts Rebellion.  GRRM himself said he has no intention on writing any side stories around that time (he said he considers it a waste of time since so much information is already given about it throughout the course of the books anyways).

With that said, HBO only bought the rights to produce the Book Series, and not any side stories (Dunk'n'Egg) or stories not written yet (Rebellion).  So unless GRRM changes his mind and/or gives HBO the rights to do it, sadly I don't see it happening.

Back in 2014 GRRM said that there were talks to do a series based on D&E but nothing has been said since.  I think that GRRM would be okay with someone else writing a Robert's Rebellion series but, and this is a big but, HBO has made it plain that while they would want another GoT based series it would have to be the right property with the right people attached. And HBO evidently owns the rights to Westeros.  Sadly I don't see any other series coming down the pike.  But we can always dream.

I think HBO has already announced that they would do a spinoff for Game of Thrones. I think that's almost official, hinging on the clamor of fans right after GOT ends. Although a D&E series would be fun I'm afraid it is too deep a cut for the general audience who consist of TV only viewers. I think it is more likely they do Robert's Rebellion though I think they may have to show a snippet of it as flashback in GOT. Just to establish that Rhaegar is indeed Jon's father. 

But whichever storyline they follow I don't think they would ever cast Hollywood stars. Beside the fact they're expensive and largely unavailable, their prior iconic roles bleed into everything they do. I don't want to immediately think THOR! when all I should be thinking of is Rhaegar! for example. Lesser known actors have the advantage of being able to become the character then make it an iconic role. It is hard to do the reverse for famous actors.

Nevertheless I'm going to suggest a known quantity (a rockstar?) for the role of RHAEGAR. How about HOZIER? If you think his mug is too ugly...Really?!? I understand. He's 6foot5, too skinny and has kinda crooked teeth. But just listen to him singing the songs he's written. The Devin guy who had been rumored to be casted as Rhaegar might have the face and body for the role. But he does not have Rhaegar's iron tones. By the way, one of Hozier's songs has already been featured in the season 4 bluray trailer

Hell, give the role to an actor who looks like Rhaegar as long as Hozier writes "The Song of Ice and Fire" and sings it or any song of Rhaegar's really. I'd feel blessed. As long as I hear a song that embodies this quote: "When you heard him play his high harp with the silver strings and sing of twilights and tears and the death of kings, you could not but feel that he was singing of himself and those he loved.”

Lyanna fell for Rhaegar because of his songs. It damn better be believable she ran away with a married man and tore the 7 kingdoms apart for a song.

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, the picture of Rhaegar in The World of Ice and Fire looks a lot like Chris Hemsworth.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Chris Hemsworth

I agree, it does look like Chris Hemsworth. I bet it was even modeled after him. Your best chance might be his younger brother Liam Hemsworth because Chris is way out of their budget and super busy with his Thor franchise. Still a lot of people would associate him with his famous movie roles like Gale in the Hunger Games. Though maybe with makeup and a white wig he'd look totally different. For Chris Hemsworth though, a long white wig and black armor is still too similar to his blonde locks and silver armor in Thor. 

As for me, I've always imagined Rhaegar to be more ethereal. Like those Anime Prince you see that have long flowing hair and almost prettier than the heroine. So I imagined him as tall, slender and graceful. One that would be more skillful than powerful in the battlefield. He was not a born warrior after all. And besides it lends well to his reputation as a scholar and a bard. I know it's stereotyping but people don't usually associate heavy, muscle-ey men to the broody, sensitive, songwriter type.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:50 AM, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Assuming they had all the budget in the world what about Ralph Fiennes as Tywin and Anthony Hopkins as the mad king. Maybe Hopkins would be too old for the role but Aery's did look older than he was at the point of the rebellion so it may work.

As for the main man Robert it seems Tom Hardy is the popular choice. He may be a bit small though and I can't picture him as Robert.What about Henry Cavill? He played in the tudors and is of reasonable height. 

I know that GRMM has described  BookRobert a maiden's wet dream at 6 and a half feet of muscle-ey goodness but the reality is he must resemble the actor who played him later in life Mark Addy or at least the son that he resembles so much, Gendry. A Renly lookalike could also be a contender because he was also said to be a younger version of Robert.

A character's book description is not as important as the resemblance of an actor to either the character's older version that has already been casted on the show or their resemblance to actors they are supposedly related in the show.

In this case, the show takes precedence over the books.

On 4/5/2017 at 3:34 PM, Chrizelda said:

I know that GRMM has described  BookRobert a maiden's wet dream at 6 and a half feet of muscle-ey goodness but the reality is he must resemble the actor who played him later in life Mark Addy or at least the son that he resembles so much, Gendry. A Renly lookalike could also be a contender because he was also said to be a younger version of Robert.

A character's book description is not as important as the resemblance of an actor to either the character's older version that has already been casted on the show or their resemblance to actors they are supposedly related in the show.

In this case, the show takes precedence over the books.

To be honest I'd rather they stayed true to the books than the show. Matt Addy was a very very good Robert for the time the show was set but at the time of Robert's rebellion he was at his physical peak a beast of man. Tall, strong and intimidating. I'd rather see that version of robert than a short bulky robert like in the show.

I don't think the show watchers will care if he is a bit taller than he was in game of thrones.

Archived