December Reading Thread

Winterfella

I'm reading the instruction manual that came with my new baby daughter. Or at least I would be if she came with one. Hannah was born a month early at a hefty 3 pounds 8 ounces, but other than being small, she's perfect.

Needless to say, not a lot of reading getting done.

Wish I had more time to work on Shriek: An Afterword, which is really good.

I can more easily read one handed while I'm holding the sleeping baby, so I've been reading e-books on my PDA.

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs - Truly awful and cliche with no real point.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - YA vampire book which started with potential but is dragging.

Hoping to start The Road by McCarthy soon.

Right now I'm finishing up Gene Wolfe's Soldier of Sidon and Matthew Hughes' Majestrum. I just finished reading and reviewing Timothy Zahn's Allegiance which I found a let down when compared to the surprisingly compelling Star Wars efforts by Allston and Traviss in the Legacy of the Force series.

At this point that's my book of the year.

Just checked, and thank goodness you finally finished your Top 100 (er, Top 99) Jay. I may have been anticipating that more that ADWD (or at least waiting as long) ;)

:cool:

Thanks and sorry for the delay!

I have just been really busy, and not all by work as I have really spent the last couple of month or so getting reenamoured with Comic books, so I had become bit of an ebay fiend for purchases and digging through my older stuff as well. Anyways I needed to recharge and have a new approach to the way I viewed not only the hobby itself but how I interacted with it. For a minute it stopped being fun - you know, blah, blah, blah :)

I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks digging through the Asoiaf forum too see if any new delicious theories have popped up!

Reading Against the Day by Pynchon... this book weighs 5 kg. Working the arm muscles... started a thread on this a while back, will report back either there or here when i'm done. So far, its more accessible, but doesnt' have as many of the wow this passage is awesome, prose moments of his other stuff. Might be a while before I finish....

First off, congrats on the new addition to the family, Winterfella!

Second, how did it get to be December so darn fast? :o

As to my current reading, I just finished reading Ysabel. Very good read, but GGK is a favorite of mine anyway, so I'm biased!

I'm happily waiting for Amazon to get my copy of the GRRM retrospective thing to me. Looking forward to digging through that!

In the meantime, I'm going to find a quick and easy to read mystery or something, as holiday planning is taking up lots of my reading time at the moment.

I just finished lions of al rassan by kay ( board recommendation) and it may have started a bit slow but it was beautiful by the end.

Now I'm reading lies of locke lamora (another board rec) which is brilliant from the get go.

I'm currently reading through the entire Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough. Previously I had only read the first. This series is massive, and I may not read anything else for a couple of weeks.

But I have the new Pynchon and the new Eggers in my cue, along with The Jennifer Morgue by Charlie Stross and some others.

Still on Altered Carbon. It's good, but not spectacular so far. Not yet up to page 100 yet though.

I'm reading Altered Carbon as well. I'm on about page 250. Hoping to finish it Saturday.

I'm loving it. Kovacs kicks ass.

I'm reading the instruction manual that came with my new baby daughter. Or at least I would be if she came with one. Hannah was born a month early at a hefty 3 pounds 8 ounces, but other than being small, she's perfect.

Needless to say, not a lot of reading getting done.

I can more easily read one handed while I'm holding the sleeping baby, so I've been reading e-books on my PDA.

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs - Truly awful and cliche with no real point.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer - YA vampire book which started with potential but is dragging.

Hoping to start The Road by McCarthy soon.

Congrats Winterfella. Three pounds 8oz? She's so tiny. I lost that much a couple weeks ago! 145 total pounds lost and aside from severe bouts of depression because of sugar levels going out of wack and freezing my ass off when the temperature drops below sixty degrees(which is almost every day now) I feel fine.

Currently reading:

Dune: Just finished the first part(200 pages). Fantastic. I love the political intrigue and the worldbuilding. The Baron is a great villian and Jessica is a more likable version of Anusirimbor Khellus.

Favorite scene so far is the dinner scene. Very intense. The Giant Sandworm swallowing the crawler is my favorite image so far.

The Silmarillion: Very dense and dry but the book has awesome sequences dispersed among the banality. Favorites: The beginning(The world is sung into being). The kinslaying, Maedros chained, and the awe inspiring duel between Morgoth and Fingolfin. Next up is Beren and Luthien.

Now Watch Him Die by Rollins: His journal from 1992. This is right after he watched his best friend gunned down in an attempted robbery. Intense and very frank.

Now I have Altered Carbon envy. :)

I am finishing Dark Tower book 6 and lovin' it, I dunno so many hated this book of the series. Shrugs, it floats my boat.

Then I have the orginal Frankenstein and Stoker's Dracula.

Regulators by Bachman AKA Stephen King.

I'm currently reading through the entire Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough. Previously I had only read the first. This series is massive, and I may not read anything else for a couple of weeks.

Good selection! I love the Masters of Rome, particularly the earlier books. Every time I think of them I want to do a re-read. In fact, maybe I'll read book one while waiting for Dreamsongs to be shipped.

I am reading 4 books at present, or at least juggling them

Elegant Universe by Brian Greene - Whatever my views on string theory, from all accounts this book seems to be a fine one with lots of insights into the fundamental problems high energy physics is tackling right now.

The Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin - A book about how string theory has stifled creativity and hampered research by hogging most of the limelight/funding/academic jobs in the past 20 years with little to show for it. Should be an interesting counterpoint to the Greene book.

River of Gods by Ian McDonald - A book about India in 2047 (speculative fiction), now split into multiple states. I enjoyed it on a superficial level. I will reread it to actually see how much of what he has written lies in the realm of possiblility for my home country 50 years down the road. But it is a good book, especially by a foreigner :P

House of Leaves by err...Mark. Z Danielewski - The hardest book for me to get into. Maybe I should take it on as a full time project rather than read it for 15 minutes at a stretch.

The ENTIRE? series?!? You're brave.

I bought the first one, The First Man in Rome. I liked the beginning all right, but when Mc Cullough got into the military details: :sick: I was bored to death. Well, I guess if you're into that stuff... :unsure:

Currently I'm reading Beloved for a class ...It's damn scary in an odd way :| and disturbing too!

Alliances by Paul Thompson and Tonya Cook , the second book of the Elven Exiles in the Dragonlance series. It was a little better than the first one and included some important characters that had been previously excluded.

I also read Brightness Reef and Infinity's Shore by David Brin, the fourth and fifth books in the Uplift series. Unlike the first three books, which were all self-contained, the fourth book seems more like a part of a series. Both were quite good and I’m looking forward to reading the last one and seeing how it ends.

Archived