Is There Anything On The Show That You Think Is Better Than The Books?

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think they are vastly playing up the obvious tension in the books between Jon and Sansa, and they will likely do the same with the obvious tension in the books between Arya and Sansa, when Arya comes home.

You could easily be right.  I'm definitely not claiming you are wrong.

But I've always envisioned the reunion between Arya and Sansa as being one where they realized how much they have in common (their backgrounds, and histories growing up), and realizing how much they actually miss and love each other.

Maybe I'm naively optimistic, but I think this is pretty common for sisters, to fight and be at odds while growing up, and then becoming MUCH closer later in life.

But hey, I'm a man, so I'd welcome any comments or insights by women on this subject, including how their relationships with their sisters have evolved over the years.

19 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Sibling rivalry (and this applies to both brothers and sisters) is the key here, and it's a plot point in the story. The show is playing it up in over-the-top ways. The books, it's a more subtle and deeper story.

Hmmm.

May I ask a question?  Why don't you hit the "quote" button when you reply, so a notification is  sent to the person you are replying to?

It also makes it easier for that person to see exactly what comments you are replying to (here, it's easy, cuz you and I have posted back and forth with no intervening posts by other people, but sometimes it's very difficult to see what someone is replying to if there's no "quote" in the reply)

I'm just curious, hope I didn't step on your toes by asking.  You're obviously a very experienced poster, with an incredible number of total posts, higher, I think, than anyone else I know of here (closing in on 17,000, in fact)

I am reading the first book.

I was dissapointed that in the books, when Tyrion wins the trial by combat, he doesn't give the money to the guard he promised saying "The Lannisters always pay their debts" like he did in the show. That was one of my favorite scenes. Because it meant that even if the Lannisters are considered "bad" for some people, they will pay to the poor dumb guard the money they promised. 

On 6/23/2017 at 10:45 PM, Annalee said:

Is there anything on the show that I like better than the books? 

Not really.  The writers are not as good as George.  Which is obvious.  They have created their own characters.  Catelyn, Jon, and Arya on the show are nothing like their real parts in the books.  I still don't like them on the show because I have read the books and know what they're really like but it is too bad the show-only fans aren't getting the real characters as George created them.

They can't be the exact same characters. There are alot of things that can be done on TV that can't be done in books because it wouldn't work right and vice versa.

4 hours ago, Sanrast said:

I was dissapointed that in the books, when Tyrion wins the trial by combat, he doesn't give the money to the guard he promised saying "The Lannisters always pay their debts" like he did in the show. That was one of my favorite scenes. Because it meant that even if the Lannisters are considered "bad" for some people, they will pay to the poor dumb guard the money they promised. 

Actually, he does.

"And yet you gave the turnkey a purse of gold," Bronn said.

"A Lannister always pays his debts."

Even Mord had scarcely believed it when Tyrion tossed him the leather purse. The gaoler's eyes had gone big as boiled eggs as he yanked open the drawstring and beheld the glint of gold. "I kept the silver," Tyrion had told him with a crooked smile, "but you were promised the gold, and there it is." It was more than a man like Mord could hope to earn in a lifetime of abusing prisoners. "And remember what I said, this is only a taste. If you ever grow tired of Lady Arryn's service, present yourself at Casterly Rock, and I'll pay you the rest of what I owe you." With golden dragons spilling out of both hands, Mord had fallen to his knees and promised that he would do just that.

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion VI

9 hours ago, Sanrast said:

Very interesting.  I never realized that was not in the books.  I haven't read the books for about 6 years, are you saying he promised the gold to Mord but never paid him, or that he never promised the gold at all?

By the way, yeah, I agree, that's a great scene.  It's a pretty strong indication that Tyrion has a strong code of honor, at least in certain situations.

Because you're still reading, I think it'd be great if you check in here as you go along, and while things are fresh in your mind, to let us know other things that occur to you as contrasts (good and bad) between the books and show.

Have you seen all episodes of the show?.

4 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Actually, he does.

Oh, okay.  Very interesting, I wasn't sure about that.  As I said above in replying to Sanrast myself, I couldn't remember whether that was in the books, haven't read them in about 6 years.

Good catch.

14 hours ago, Sanrast said:

9 hours ago, Prof. Cecily said:

Actually, he does.

This is so typical. Someone claims that the show is "better" because of something, but then it turns out that actually he remembered the books wrongly. And of course, the part that he forgot is ten times better than what D&D put in the show. Just like this example in question: the scene where Tyrion gives gold to Mord would've been way better if it was more faithful to the book version, with him falling to his knees and everything. Actually is there any rational explanation for not including that entire dialogue in the show? LOL!

6 hours ago, Cron said:

Oh, okay.  Very interesting, I wasn't sure about that.  As I said above in replying to Sanrast myself, I couldn't remember whether that was in the books, haven't read them in about 6 years.

Good catch.

I remembered it because I'm rereading AFFC and our Sansa notices Mord's golden teeth.

"Take this creature away, or I'm like to kill him myself," Lord Nestor growled. "It sickens me to look at him."

"Mord, take him back to his sky cell," said Petyr.

"Yes, m'lord." Mord grabbed Marillion roughly by the collar. "No more mouth." When he spoke, Sansa saw to her astonishment that the gaoler's teeth were made of gold. They watched as he half dragged half shoved the singer toward the doors.

A Feast for Crows - Sansa I

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

never mind. @Prof. Cecily already pointed out that Tyrion does pay Mord in the books.

We're on the same page!

2 hours ago, StepStark said:

This is so typical. Someone claims that the show is "better" because of something, but then it turns out that actually he remembered the books wrongly. And of course, the part that he forgot is ten times better than what D&D put in the show. Just like this example in question: the scene where Tyrion gives gold to Mord would've been way better if it was more faithful to the book version, with him falling to his knees and everything. Actually is there any rational explanation for not including that entire dialogue in the show? LOL!

It's not about remembering. It's after the pages I have read so far, because they discuss this after they leave Eyrie. 

13 minutes ago, Sanrast said:

It's probably after the pages I read. The dialogue you posted is after they leave.

Yes, it is. The major difference between the show and the books is that the show has to follow a non-POV chronological narrative. In a visual show it would be dumb to cut away from a scene, and then have Tyrion and Bronn talk about the aftermath afterwards. George can afford to, especially because the Trial by Combat is told from Cat's POV, not Tyrion's.

Tyrion's chapter with Bronn camping at night, talking and waiting for the Clans of the Moon Mountains to show up is 2 chapters after the Trial by Combat. That is 8 pages of reading, between Trial by Combat and the convo between Tyrion and Bronn. You sort of jumped the gun on what was missing. I advize to first read well the whole book, before posting "missing from a scene" in the show forum, because you're bound to make such mistakes often otherwise.  

6 minutes ago, Sanrast said:

It's probably after the pages I read. The dialogue you posted is after they leave.

You've pointed out why it's important to read through the book before having an opinion of what happens (or appears to happen).

GRRM is a master storyteller and seems to take delight in leading his readers to false conclusions.

Also.

Keep in mind  the HBO production telescopes, compresses and merges events and characters from the saga.

And then there are the added scenes, some of which are simply brilliant some, cringe-worthy.

Hah!

I see @sweetsunray has beaten me to the post.

Well, now you have two takes on the subject, @Sanrast.

Enjoy!

the only thing the show has done better than the books is that it is trying to tell a story with an ending.

The truth is if grrm wanted he could write more 5 to 10 books without probs because he hasn t answered almost none of the questions and prophecies he has made and is constantly making new plots. For exemple euron and the maesters conspiracy happened out of nowhere and can be used to write 1 or 2 books about how the other characters will deal with them.

The social dynamic between Sansa and Jon, true born and bastard was over done with her keeping secrets about LF and the Vale army. That was unnecessary as they could have still had some tension. It was possible but the opportunity was lost on the writing.

5 hours ago, Sanrast said:

It's not about remembering. It's after the pages I have read so far, because they discuss this after they leave Eyrie. 

But now when you know both versions, aren't you disappointed with that scene in the show? Considering that previously you were disappointed in the book because you thought that the scene in the show was richer than the scene in the book, it would be logical that now, when you know that the opposite is true and that the book scene is richer than the show scene, you are disappointed in the show.

As for remembering, I didn't mean you, but show lovers in general, sorry about that.

Also what do you think, why did D&D cut out the most memorable part of that scene (Mord falling to his knees while the gold spills between his fingers)? Is there some reason that I can't think of, or is it just a proof of D&D's lack of talent?

1 hour ago, StepStark said:

Mord falling to his knees while the gold spills between his fingers)? Is there some reason that I can't think of, or is it just a proof of D&D's lack of talent?

It would have taken more time to shoot it probably.

Archived