Is There Anything On The Show That You Think Is Better Than The Books?

18 hours ago, btfu806 said:

Personally blackwater was just much better to see than just to read. I LOVE that whole sequences of events and I think that episode has some great lines. 

I read the books before watching the show and the show's portrayal of Tyrion is interesting. I hated Tyrion in the books (no idea why, just did) in the show they made him much more likable, for me at least. So I liked that. I thought Ned's death and the Red Wedding were done well on the show. The books was a bigger wow factor for me since I didn't know what was going on, but I liked Ned's point of view in his death and I liked Rob's point of view (or at least kinda point of view) at the Red Wedding.

And the music in the show was obviously really well done, not that the books could totally complete with that. But the music has been so good with that show, except for Season 3 episode 3 after Jamie loses his hand. What a freaking misstep that was with the music...

He is more "likable" because they've whitewashed the hell out of him on the show exactly so they'd make him more likable, whereas book Tyrion is a very complex and morally ambiguous character ("the greyest of the grey" as GRRM put it). Ironically, that's exactly what makes show Tyrion unbearable for me. In season 1, parts of season 2 and season 4 he had some complexity, but by season 5, he became a full fledged Mary Sue.

But I find that most of the show characters have become unbearable. I can't stand show Arya, Brienne and Dany, Jon is an idiot, Sandor is a comic relief/chicken meme, Sansa's characterization has always been all over the place, I don't even know what Jaime is supposed to be - and those are all my favorite characters in the books. 

5 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

He is more "likable" because they've whitewashed the hell out of him on the show exactly so they'd make him more likable, whereas book Tyrion is a very complex and morally ambiguous character ("the greyest of the grey" as GRRM put it). Ironically, that's exactly what makes show Tyrion unbearable for me. In season 1, parts of season 2 and season 4 he had some complexity, but by season 5, he became a full fledged Mary Sue.

Yeah, I hate whitewashed Tyrion. What someone said before about early-season Roose Bolton is a good example of whitewashing, where they made Roose out to be... well, mostly okay, if pragmatic, rather than an obvious fucking vampire. But Tyrion... yeah, he just exists to be perfect and make quips D&D think are clever.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:50 AM, Annara Snow said:

But I find that most of the show characters have become unbearable. I can't stand show Arya, Brienne and Dany, Jon is an idiot, Sandor is a comic relief/chicken meme, Sansa's characterization has always been all over the place, I don't even know what Jaime is supposed to be - and those are all my favorite characters in the books. 

I guess I should have phrased that better, because I agree. In the beginning I liked him a lot. But season 5 and on, I don't think there is a single character I really like anymore.

But yes, all the characters now (and for the past few seasons) have become unbearable. 

• 1 month later...

Archived