Who should play Lyanna Stark in Robert's Rebellion miniseries or film?

thewolfofStarfall

The actress they picked the producers picked for the TOJ scene is alright, but I would prefer is someone is cast if the make a miniseries for Robert's Rebellion 

My choices:

1. India Eisley

She's very pretty and I could definitely picture as Lyanna. Has a mix of an American and British accent so I don't think the accent will be a problem

2. Katie McGrath

Some people say she's be to old to play old Lyanna who was 16-17. I  disagree. This actress could easily pass as someone in their late adolsence-early twenties, and people in that age range or older play high schoolers all the time

3. Ástrid Berges-Frisbey

Really beautiful. Looks like a Stark and sorta looks like Kit Harrington. 

4. Kaya Scoldelario 
She has curly like Kit, and fits Lyanna's tomboyish description very nicely

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:20 PM, The North Forgot said:

This was brought up in book forums as well and I stick with my answer there, Jennifer Lawrence would be the best choice IMO

Well since in real life she can drink like a fish, swear like a sailor, and probably beat most in a fight yeah, I can see it.  The problem of course is that she's going to pull a 20 million or so paycheck.  That would put this out of the realm of being on HBO (or Netflix or the like)and make it into a major Motion Picture, which admittedly would be alright by me. 

On 8.9.2016 at 0:02 AM, Byfort of Corfe said:

Well since in real life she can drink like a fish, swear like a sailor, and probably beat most in a fight yeah, I can see it.  The problem of course is that she's going to pull a 20 million or so paycheck.  That would put this out of the realm of being on HBO (or Netflix or the like)and make it into a major Motion Picture, which admittedly would be alright by me. 

Ooooh imagine a film series of Robert's Rebellion in 3 parts, something like this

1. Buildup around Rhaegar - Aerys realationship + the Starks, ends with Tourney at Harrenhall

2. Lyanna gets abducted / runs away with Rhaegar, ends maybe around the Battle of the Bells?

3. Rest of the Rebellion, ends with Ned returning to Winterfell with Jon

2 hours ago, The North Forgot said:

Ooooh imagine a film series of Robert's Rebellion in 3 parts, something like this

1. Buildup around Rhaegar - Aerys realationship + the Starks, ends with Tourney at Harrenhall

2. Lyanna gets abducted / runs away with Rhaegar, ends maybe around the Battle of the Bells?

3. Rest of the Rebellion, ends with Ned returning to Winterfell with Jon

We can always dream.

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Aisling Franciosi. She's already played Lyanna for "The Wind of Winter."

She's already proven herself in "The Fall" She would be a great Lyanna for a miniseries. Good thing she's very young looking so she's still good for the project even if it takes several years to come to fruition. Unless she hits the bigtime roles in Hollywood. Because let's face it we can fancast big Hollywood stars all we want but they won't actually cast them. Either the production can't afford them or their fame and notoriety is a big baggage that won't help in their portrayal of the role.

2 hours ago, Chrizelda said:

Because let's face it we can fancast big Hollywood stars all we want but they won't actually cast them. Either the production can't afford them or their fame and notoriety is a big baggage that won't help in their portrayal of the role.

This is one of the big things about casting, another is that many "big stars" wouldn't want to be tied to a project that has them location shooting for several months a year for four or five years.  They could make a big budget movie in that time and be paid much better or be on a series on regular TV that doesn't require the location stuff.

11 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

This is one of the big things about casting, another is that many "big stars" wouldn't want to be tied to a project that has them location shooting for several months a year for four or five years.  They could make a big budget movie in that time and be paid much better or be on a series on regular TV that doesn't require the location stuff.

And they could be a bit distracting as well since they are well known faces that have had well known roles you associate them with. If they were lesser known they would be able to be that got character for the audience and nothing else. And besides these lesser known character actors have something to prove therefore would immerse themselves in this role.

But still can't stop myself from fancasting singers or rockstars though... I mean HOZIER as RHAEGAR would be great. I think he and Aisling would look good together. If not just ask him to write a song and sing it as Rhaegar. Because they have to really sell this pairing that tore apart the 7 kingdoms and ended a dynasty. It's hard to fathom Lyanna going off with a married man when she derided Robert for womanizing. Good thing Aisling already has a background of convincing an audience of her love for a serial killer in The Fall. I don't think Lyanna's move was as bad as dating a serial killer who is married as well but it was really extremely stupid in our POV for both R & L.

12 hours ago, Chrizelda said:

And they could be a bit distracting as well since they are well known faces that have had well known roles you associate them with. If they were lesser known they would be able to be that got character for the audience and nothing else. And besides these lesser known character actors have something to prove therefore would immerse themselves in this role.

But still can't stop myself from fancasting singers or rockstars though... I mean HOZIER as RHAEGAR would be great. I think he and Aisling would look good together. If not just ask him to write a song and sing it as Rhaegar. Because they have to really sell this pairing that tore apart the 7 kingdoms and ended a dynasty. It's hard to fathom Lyanna going off with a married man when she derided Robert for womanizing. Good thing Aisling already has a background of convincing an audience of her love for a serial killer in The Fall. I don't think Lyanna's move was as bad as dating a serial killer who is married as well but it was really extremely stupid in our POV for both R & L.

One of the joys of being a fan is that we can say whoever we want for the role, we just have to realize that it might (maybe probably) won't happen.  And there are plenty of reasons that some castings don't work.  Steven Spielberg had originally signed Liam Neeson to play Abraham Lincoln in the movie of the same name but then Natasha Richardson died and Neeson pulled out because he couldn't devote the time necessary.  John Huston had originally wanted Humphrey Bogart and Clark Gable for "The Man Who Would be King" but could never make it happen and decades later wound up with Michael Caine and Sean Connery.

You are also right about the big name sometimes being a distraction.  John Wayne was always John Wayne, whatever character he played, the same was largely true of Richard Burton. Rhaegar and Lyanna are going to be tough roles to cast in part because of what you have pointed out.  Rhaegar has to be the charming but earnest and also incredibly handsome man that Ser Barristan tells Dany about and Lyanna has to be the incredible woman that makes him forget his vows. 

It's not just the big name that would be a distraction - some of those Hollywood stars would struggle trying to mask an American accent. It's distracting enough with Tyrion whose accent has gotten a lot better over the years - or at least he's developed his own sort of exaggerated yet clipped way of speaking that I've gotten used to. I think Jennifer Lawrence would struggle, especially playing off a bunch of British theatre actors.

8 hours ago, maudisdottir said:

It's not just the big name that would be a distraction - some of those Hollywood stars would struggle trying to mask an American accent. It's distracting enough with Tyrion whose accent has gotten a lot better over the years - or at least he's developed his own sort of exaggerated yet clipped way of speaking that I've gotten used to. I think Jennifer Lawrence would struggle, especially playing off a bunch of British theatre actors.

That is so true! I heard that Samuel L. Jackson is censuring the casting of British Black actors for American civil rights icons like Martin Luther King (David Oyowelo?) and Mrs. Loving (Ruth Negga, who's Irish) and a lot more juicy American roles for Black actors. But it is actually across the board more than ever British and European actors have been taking a lot of great role from American actors in Hollywood. There was a time when Batman, Superman & Spiderman were all British. Good thing they drew the line at Capt. America. It just goes to show that American Hollywood actors have to step up their game to compete with other actors from across the pond who make the effort, study and get theater trained because they have something to prove.

7 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I remember Keanu Reeves' horrible British accent for Bram Stoker's Dracula. 

Was he going for RP? Sheffield? West Country?

I am an absolute fangirl for Keanu, but I cringed the whole time I watched that movie. And his turn as Don John too in All's Well that Ends Well. Keanu, the bard is not for you that also goes for Denzel who was out of place in that movie as well.

7 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Also, the accent issue might be why J.K. Rowling insisted on mostly British actors for Harry Potter.

Very few American actors have been told they were able to do an accent that could fool a native speaker, much less do a good enough accent. Meryl Streep? DiCaprio? Brad Pitt for Snatch? Matt Damon in Invictus?

On 15/8/2016 at 4:02 AM, thewolfofStarfall said:

2. Katie McGrath

Some people say she's be to old to play old Lyanna who was 16-17. I  disagree. This actress could easily pass as someone in their late adolsence-early twenties, and people in that age range or older play high schoolers all the time

:agree: I see how people can have issue with the age but for me it doesn't matter. She is the perfect Lyanna, much like Eva Green being the perfect Ashara.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2017 at 5:05 AM, Byfort of Corfe said:

I do wonder about the accents though, I mean Westeros is not England.  True in the casting they have made it that way but...  IT's like why do Romans all have English accents?

They've made their own conventions like for the North they do Yorkshire? accents, for Upper class Southrons they do generic RP accents. Do they do cockney for Southron peasants? I forget. The Dornish have the distinctive  Spanish accent. For Essos it's all over the place actually they have inconsistencies that you only realize if you think about it. But generally Essos has a vibe that hints everyone comes from somewhere else originally it looks and sounds more cosmopolitan melting pot than Westeros.

Archived