Daenerys's Fate and the Fire She Must Light to Love

Lost Melnibonean

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Daenerys IX, Game 68

The pronoun “he” above, of course, refers to Drogo, whom Daenerys was about to send off into the night lands. Will Drogo return?

Quentyn son of Prince Doran of House Martell, whose sigil is the sun, rose in the west when he left Dorne, and he set in the east when he was killed in Meereen. Our lovely dragon queen notes in Daenerys X, Dance 71, that the Dothraki Sea is going dry. When she sits among her persimmon trees and lemon trees atop the Great Pyramid of Meereen and looks upon the smaller pyramids, she feels as if she is “atop the highest mountain in the world,” thus comparing the pyramids to mountains. Since then, one such “mountain” has collapsed in ruins, and the dragons have turned two more into smoking lairs.

That leaves us with Daenerys’s womb quickening again, and her bearing a living child. Even if what Daenerys went through on her recent walk about was a miscarriage, that would not satisfy the elements above. A quickening happens when a mother-to-be can feel the fetus moving. However, since the other elements have been satisfied, and since this is a fantasy filled with prophecy and foreshadowing, I would think that Daenerys’s womb will quicken again, and she will bear a living child, and her son will sit the Iron Throne...

When her son sat the Iron Throne, she would see that he had bloodriders of his own to protect him against treachery in his Kingsguard.

Daenerys IV, Game 36

Her son will be Aegon’s...

Drogo's braid was black as midnight and heavy with scented oil, hung with tiny bells that rang softly as he moved. It swung well past his belt, below even his buttocks, the end of it brushing against the back of his thighs.

"You see how long it is?" Viserys said. "When Dothraki are defeated in combat, they cut off their braids in disgrace, so the world will know their shame. Khal Drogo has never lost a fight. He is Aegon the Dragonlord come again, and you will be his queen."

Daenerys I, Game 3

The dragon has three heads. There are two men in the world who I can trust, if I can find them. I will not be alone then. We will be three against the world, like Aegon and his sisters.

Daenerys VI, Storm 71 (emphasis in the original)

Five Aegons had ruled the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. There would have been a sixth, but the Usurper’s dogs had murdered her brother’s son when he was still a babe at the breast. If he had lived, I might have married him.

Daenerys I, Dance 2 (emphasis in the original)

"I told you, I know our little queen. Let her hear that her brother Rhaegar's murdered son is still alive, that this brave boy has raised the dragon standard of her forebears in Westeros once more, that he is fighting a desperate war to avenge his father and reclaim the Iron Throne for House Targaryen, hard-pressed on every side … and she will fly to your side as fast as wind and water can carry her. You are the last of her line, and this Mother of Dragons, this Breaker of Chains, is above all a rescuer. The girl who drowned the slaver cities in blood rather than leave strangers to their chains can scarcely abandon her own brother's son in his hour of peril. And when she reaches Westeros, and meets you for the first time, you will meet as equals, man and woman, not queen and supplicant. How can she help but love you then, I ask you?"

Tyrion VI, Dance 22

The love won’t last, of course...

"I will leave you." Varys rose. "I know how weary you must be. I only wished to welcome you, my lord, and tell you how very pleased I am by your arrival. We have dire need of you on the council. Have you seen the comet?"

"I'm short, not blind," Tyrion said. Out on the kingsroad, it had seemed to cover half the sky, outshining the crescent moon.

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow." 

Tyrion I, Clash 3

Spoiler

It was then that pasty, pudgy Teora raised her eyes from the creamcakes on her plate.  "It is dragons."     

"Dragons?"  said her mother.  "Teora, don't be mad."

"I'm not.  They're coming."

"How could you possibly know that?" her sister asked, with a note of scorn in her voice.  "One of your little dreams?"

Teora gave a tiny nod, chin trembling.  "They were dancing.  In my dream.  And everywhere the dragons danced the people died."

Arianne I, Winds

And Daenerys will vanquish Aegon...

“The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don't know what the middle head's supposed to do.”

The Ugly Little Girl, Dance 64

Daenerys was the first head. Aegon, red with rust, is revealed to be the second. Jon will be revealed to be the third. Although a dragon is still a dragon whether it is black or red, Aegon is the mummer’s dragon...

"What is a mummer's dragon, pray?"

"A cloth dragon on poles," Dany explained. "Mummers use them in their follies, to give the heroes something to fight."

Daenerys V, Clash 63

And Daenerys will slay the fraud...

A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd. ... mother of dragons, slayer of lies...

Daenerys IV, Clash 48

So, the wee Targlet will live, but Daenerys won’t...

... three fires must you light ... one for life and one for death and one to love ...

Daenerys IV, Clash 48

The last fire Daenerys will light will be the one that is lit to consume her lifeless body after she dies giving birth to her child, a fire to love.

Drogo will not return to Daenerys, but Daenerys will return to Drogo.

As to the three mounts she must ride, "one to bed and one dread and one to love," most of us suspect the first is her silver with Drogo to the grassy place beside a small stream, and that the second is Drogo’s namesake Drogon. Well, you know what? The third one just might be the smoky stallion Daenerys will ride to join her sun-and-stars in the Night Lands.

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, the wee Targlet will live, but Daenerys won’t...

Daenerys IV, Clash 48

The last fire Daenerys will light will be the one that is lit to consume her lifeless body after she dies giving birth to her child, a fire to love.

Drogo will not return to Daenerys, but Daenerys will return to Drogo.

I am quite on board with the completion of what Mirri prophesied, but I do not really understand why Dany will not survive.

4 minutes ago, Sydney Mae said:

That was merely a nasty taunt from Mirri Maz Duur.  A way of saying "no."

Dany's fate is to reclaim the Seven Kingdoms as its true monarch and rebuild as soon as the ice recedes and marry Aegon to heal the rift with the Blackfyres. 

You're not worried about the lemon tree? 

On 8/17/2016 at 6:50 PM, Sydney Mae said:

I don't have any respect for that theory. 

I'm not talking about Daenerys being somebody other than the daughter of Aerys and Rhaella. I'm talking about The George's use of lemons to signal bitterness and disappointment

2 hours ago, Sydney Mae said:

That was merely a nasty taunt from Mirri Maz Duur.  A way of saying "no."

Dany's fate is to reclaim the Seven Kingdoms as its true monarch and rebuild as soon as the ice recedes and marry Aegon to heal the rift with the Blackfyres. 

I fine it highly unlikely Dany will ever take the throne, she won't too many small fight to ever win the fight she "wants".

honestly don't even think she wants it tho, she really just wants a peaceful simple life but has been told for so long hat she has to rule she's doesn't know she can choice anything else.

Oh Dany threads.

just as point of fact: it took exactly 4 dany threads and one temporary ban before I decided not to weigh in on anything having to do with the stormborn.

i will sit back and watch though 

• 3 months later...

My vision for the end of the series is Daenerys flying away on Drogon (the only remaining dragon) towards Assai (to find truth) or towards the "Curtain of Light" where Jon headed before to end the Night and she will disappear from the living world. Tyrion watches her flying away and proceed to take a ship after learning "where the whores go". The Wall doesn't exist anymore, the iron throne was melted (by Drogon or wildfire). The Citadel, Dragonstone and Storm's End were also demolished (along some other fortress). There will be no vestige of magic left, being fully spent in the last war. Aristocracy will be severely weakened by war and social change. Many and more have died in the conflicts and the land is devastated.

We will get the foreshadow that there will be many other conflicts in the near future. Westeros as a united kingdom will not exist anymore, so regional disputes will be omnipresent. Religion conflicts will be also prevalent (R'hllor vs the Seven followers) as well as racial/ethnic ones (Dany will bring a huge host of Dothraki and freedmen). 

The fact that the ultimate finale of this story is about the Others and not some stupid Targaryen civil war makes it exceedingly unlikely that Dany is going to be shortly before childbirth in the events leading up to or during the finale. It is pretty clear she will play an important role during the finale fight against the Others, presumably as the rider of the largest living dragon. She would not be able to that in the middle or at the very end of a pregnancy, nor is it likely that she could even lead her men/armies against the Others in such a condition - she could neither ride a horse nor a dragon, after all, especially not a rather small dragon (a pregnant woman could make herself perhaps comfortable on Balerion but Drogon is not going to reach his size in the remainder of the story).

She might be pregnant thereafter but I doubt this is then going to be covered by the story. The structure of those books make it very unlikely we are getting time jumps ahead in the middle of a book. This isn't Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, after all.

In addition, there is pretty much no chance that Dany will have time to carry a child to term in the remainder of the series that is fathered by the man she is most likely going to end up with. And that's Jon Snow. They are not likely to meet in the near future, and even if they meet they won't fuck during their first meeting, presumably. The idea that Dany will ever going to have sex with Aegon is very far-fetched considering they are likely to be enemies before they even meet. Some people might suggest a political marriage between these two to prevent another Dance but I guess those plans will go awry. It would be pretty difficult in any case if both Dany and Aegon are already married (again) by then.

In general, I find the idea that Dany and Drogo will ever reunited in any afterlife-sense counterintuitive in the wake of Dany's experiences when the dragon eggs hatched. Drogo's spirit hatched them with his whip, a final parting gift to Daenerys. She is not a Dothraki khaleesi, she is the blood of the dragon, and the promised princess. Her place is not with the Dothraki in the Nightlands. Her place is at the side of all her forebears.

Drogo and the Dothraki are a tool in Dany's hands. They helped her to find her destiny, shaping her into form, making her strong, and now she is presumably going to use them in return (and not necessarily to their own advantage). But her own destiny is much larger than just this one culture, this one people. Drogo was the beginning of her path to glory, he is not going to be there again at the end, especially not if she teams up with other people along the way (the other dragon heads) who share her destiny.

Daario already has replaced Drogo in her heart, and it is not unlikely that he is not going to be the only man to do so.

On 17.8.2016 at 9:48 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Daenerys IX, Game 68

The pronoun “he” above, of course, refers to Drogo, whom Daenerys was about to send off into the night lands. Will Drogo return?

Quentyn son of Prince Doran of House Martell, whose sigil is the sun, rose in the west when he left Dorne, and he set in the east when he was killed in Meereen. Our lovely dragon queen notes in Daenerys X, Dance 71, that the Dothraki Sea is going dry. When she sits among her persimmon trees and lemon trees atop the Great Pyramid of Meereen and looks upon the smaller pyramids, she feels as if she is “atop the highest mountain in the world,” thus comparing the pyramids to mountains. Since then, one such “mountain” has collapsed in ruins, and the dragons have turned two more into smoking lairs.

That leaves us with Daenerys’s womb quickening again, and her bearing a living child. Even if what Daenerys went through on her recent walk about was a miscarriage, that would not satisfy the elements above. A quickening happens when a mother-to-be can feel the fetus moving. However, since the other elements have been satisfied, and since this is a fantasy filled with prophecy and foreshadowing, I would think that Daenerys’s womb will quicken again, and that she will bear a living child.

[snip]

You put it together very nicely. Add an 'n' to Drogo's name and the prophecy is complete and fulfilled in Dany's last chapter in DwD.

I agree that the 'quickening' is a pregnancy. However your presumption that she has to feel the embryo move is not necessary. Drogon is Drogo returned.

Personally the more I read those books and Daenerys' chapters, the more ok I become with the fact that Daenerys' role could really only be to be the Mother of dragons (as in the one who brought them to life and raised them) as opposed to riding them in the battle against the Others. I mean some would find it underwhelming but if Daenerys doesn't get to ride one to battle then it opens the spot for some other character to do. And in the end her role isn't small as she is the one responsible for the dragons' lives in a way.

As for that quote from MMD, the first time i read it I thought it just meant that Daenerys would never see Drogo again cause he'd die and she'd be infertile/or that she'll never give birth as long as she lives. So I thought it was MMD's way to tell her that she'll see Drogo when pigs can fly.

Only when I lurked around the forums did I read about that quote being a possible prophecy.

1 hour ago, Lifestream said:

Personally the more I read those books and Daenerys' chapters, the more ok I become with the fact that Daenerys' role could really only be to be the Mother of dragons (as in the one who brought them to life and raised them) as opposed to riding them in the battle against the Others. I mean some would find it underwhelming but if Daenerys doesn't get to ride one to battle then it opens the spot for some other character to do. And in the end her role isn't small as she is the one responsible for the dragons' lives in a way.

Not going to happen. Dany will be riding Drogon into battle against the Others. People really need to accept this and move on.  She is not there just to bring dragons for other people to use ride and not herself which no offense is a such a lame theory. 

Archived