Why Jaime was wearing Lannister cloak?

Inc4

Began my re-read of aGoT. I'm curious about why Jaime was wearing Crimson coloured clothes at the King's Party instead of the White Cloak of the Kingsguard?

I haven't reached this part yet but I was thinking, after attacking Ned Stark after the arrest of Tyrion Lannister, how did Jaime join Tywin's host? Isn't a Kingsguard sworn to protect the King? Isn't abandoning the King to support his father with the War against Starks, considered as a desertion?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Long story short. Jaime doesn't take being a Kingsguard very seriously until much later in the books.

And yes, he is certainly abandoning his position to command the Lannister host, and if Robert had stayed in power, he would have likely been punished for it, but of course, Cersei coming into power as Joffery's regent allows it to be swept under the rug.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:55 PM, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

That's a good point. I assume that Jaime was considered as a king's guard only under Aerys and no longer under Robert ?

Otherwise, maybe Jaime didn't care a single moment for the King's Guard, and decided to help his family instead of serving the fat drunken king ;)

Jaime was always a King's Guard, as Tyrion points out Jaime and Barristan are the sole surviving members of Aerys' King's Guard.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, Wheller said:

Long story short. Jaime doesn't take being a Kingsguard very seriously until much later in the books.

And yes, he is certainly abandoning his position to command the Lannister host, and if Robert had stayed in power, he would have likely been punished for it, but of course, Cersei coming into power as Joffery's regent allows it to be swept under the rug.

After the rumble with the Starks in KL Jaime heads out assuming that he would be in trouble with Robert for fighting with the Starks.

Archived