College football 2016 - aSECendency

lokisnow

Well...Appy St. is up on Tennessee 13-3 at halftime.  Very interesting.  Obviously, I'm looking forward to next week and the "Battle at Bristol"...so I'm not sure how to feel about this one.  If Appy St. pulls the upset, will Tennessee be extra motivated next week...backs against the wall and all that?  Or will they be incredibly demoralized?

Best option might be for them to win tonight on a squeaker, so they're not angry...but full of self doubt.  Eh, who am I kidding...Go Mountaineers Appalachian State!  (I can't bring myself to root for that mascot name) 

Can App State do it again????  Go Mountaineers!!

Watching Vandy v. SoCar, not sure if Vandy is better than anticipated, or South Carolina is worse... Vandy up 10-0, but 100% of incomplete passes thrown by Vandy I've thought "a better team would have intercepted that".  I want to say UK can handle both of these teams, but I'll reserve that statement until I see us play on Saturday

6 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Well...Appy St. is up on Tennessee 13-3 at halftime.  Very interesting.  Obviously, I'm looking forward to next week and the "Battle at Bristol"...so I'm not sure how to feel about this one.  If Appy St. pulls the upset, will Tennessee be extra motivated next week...backs against the wall and all that?  Or will they be incredibly demoralized?

Best option might be for them to win tonight on a squeaker, so they're not angry...but full of self doubt.  Eh, who am I kidding...Go Mountaineers Appalachian State!  (I can't bring myself to root for that mascot name) 

I'm watching that one as well. Tennessee is truly playing like dogshit, particularly on offense. I've heard lots of crap this year from friends and co-workers (and my boss) about UT's hopes of a dream season. It appears as though their offense still isn't very good. As fine of an athlete as Josh Dobbs is, he just doesn't look like a real quarterback. That's what will keep UT from being a high level team.

1 minute ago, Ded As Ned said:

Watching Vandy v. SoCar, not sure if Vandy is better than anticipated, or South Carolina is worse... Vandy up 10-0, but 100% of incomplete passes thrown by Vandy I've thought "a better team would have intercepted that".  I want to say UK can handle both of these teams, but I'll reserve that statement until I see us play on Saturday

I think Vandy's actually going to be pretty good. They are legit defensively. If they can manage to score 20 a game they'll go bowling.

Unrelated: The best thing to come out of Louisville/Charlotte. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Can App State do it again????  Go Mountaineers!!

Good news is, the DBs are pretty much the only unit on UK that I feel are SEC starter quality.

And remember... USCe is being coached by the guy who almost let UK win at The Swamp.

16 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Good news is, the DBs are pretty much the only unit on UK that I feel are SEC starter quality.

Agreed, on defense.  I think the better teams we face will grind us to death on 3-7 yard plays, which we'll be helpless against.  I think the final piece to the puzzle for Stoops is to find somebody who can recruit on defense like Vince Marrow recruits on offense.  Even if we don't make a bowl this year, I think it'd be abysmally stupid to get rid of Stoops, like many will be calling for if that happens.

(Imagine what could have been if UK had invested this much $$$$ in football while Brooks was here. He'd still be coaching)

20 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Well, Tennessee won because the App St. freshman kicker missed an extra point.  Not sure what to think going into next week in Bristol.  Tennesse was very unimpressive.

Eh, it was a first game; those are often weird. Don't be surprised if they aren't a lot better next week. 

In other news - why, oh why did I not bet my life savings on the Vandy/SC under at 41. Easiest fucking bet of the century.

6 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Eh, it was a first game; those are often weird. Don't be surprised if they aren't a lot better next week.

I hear you, but man did Tennessee catch a lot of breaks...

- 4 fumbles, and they only lost one (including their OT touchdown)

- App St. kicker missing XP and FG that would have won it

- App St. punt return that was saved from a TD by the punter (good tackle by the punter, though...give him credit)

- App St. coaches blowing time management at the end of regulation (although the kicker's track record didn't indicate he'd hit a game winning FG)

But, yeah, you're right...first games can be odd.  If I was a Tennessee fan, I think I'd mostly be concerned about the O-line...gave up a lot of plays to a small App St. D-line, who often only rushed 3.

I started watching college football as a national sport (not just following only my team) in 2006 , and it has been true in every single year since that ESPN and all other pundits will declare in the preseason that THIS YEAR is Tennessees year to return to greatness! Every single year that passionate prediction has been a flop. But they punditry presses on with the sincerity of indomitable conviction and unconquerable belief and repeats the same prediction the next year and the next and the next...

looks like it is this year too, splat. Tennessee barely won in OT against a lower division team. Tennessee is ranked 9 . Whoops, here we go again same mistake as last time.

7 hours ago, lokisnow said:

I started watching college football as a national sport (not just following only my team) in 2006 , and it has been true in every single year since that ESPN and all other pundits will declare in the preseason that THIS YEAR is Tennessees year to return to greatness! Every single year that passionate prediction has been a flop. But they punditry presses on with the sincerity of indomitable conviction and unconquerable belief and repeats the same prediction the next year and the next and the next...

looks like it is this year too, splat. Tennessee barely won in OT against a lower division team. Tennessee is ranked 9 . Whoops, here we go again same mistake as last time.

It's not as bad with Tennessee as it is with Miami.  Every year "The U is back, baby!" 

And just to be pedantic, App St. is a 1A (FBS) team...albeit I think they just came up from 1AA(FCS) in the last 3-4 years...

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

It's not as bad with Tennessee as it is with Miami.  Every year "The U is back, baby!" 

And just to be pedantic, App St. is a 1A (FBS) team...albeit I think they just came up from 1AA(FCS) in the last 3-4 years...

I'm no UofL fan, but even I got frustrated when listening to Mike and Mike yesterday and heard the conversation turn to Florida State and Greeny starts saying that FSU's biggest road game might be "at The U."  Hello!!!!!!!  They play at Louisville on Sept 17... they are ranked in the top 20 in the country!!!!!  Miami is unranked and not likely to work into the rankings.

The only thing worse than East Coast Bias, is East Coast Bias based on thinking from 20 years ago!!!!

Man I watched that entire Appy State / UT game.  I think I knew somewhere deep down that the Vols would end up winning, but it was still a heartbreaking loss for App State.  

Had the kicker made that field goal or the extra point they probably would have avoided overtime and won the game.

First game, but Tennessee was very unimpressive and got extremely lucky.  And after watching a bit of SC and Vandy I'd say the SEC East is up for grabs.

I remember back when rumors first started swirling that WVU was going to replace Bill Stewart.  One of the names that kept popping up was Butch Jones.  I was dead set against that hire and Jones hasn't really done anything to change my mind.  He's a good recruiter but I'm not sold on his coaching abilities.  That team last night was unprepared and did not appear to have taken App State seriously.  You would think that App. State would be near the top of the "non power 5 teams to take seriously" list since they have one of the most famous upsets of all time under their belt.   

11 hours ago, HokieStone said:

But, yeah, you're right...first games can be odd.  If I was a Tennessee fan, I think I'd mostly be concerned about the O-line...gave up a lot of plays to a small App St. D-line, who often only rushed 3.

Yeah, this is their biggest problem.  That OL got worked by the App St DL for most of the night.  Not the best sign when looking at the rest of their schedule.

Archived