College football 2016 - aSECendency

lokisnow

Ahh.... Tennessee.  Every year it's the same old song -- front-load your schedule so you end with like 2 months of cakewalks, beat some mid-level Big 10 team in a bowl game, spend the off-season getting hyped about that "incredible run at the end of last year" and how it means you're "totally primed for a huge season this year", then... splat.  As a Gator fan who lived in Knoxville for several years, let me tell you this little routine never got old.  Don't blame the SEC for Tennessee please, it's the parade of dummies in the national sports media who fall for that '6 game winning streak to end the year' BS every time.  You'd think they'd learn at some point over the past 10-12 years...

In happier news, really looking forward to Coach Mac's second year in Gainesville.  Also, extremely pumped that Spurrier is back in town and once again where he belongs - in UF Athletics.  An "Ambassador" they're calling him, as well as a consultant.  And thankfully Coach Mac doesn't have too much of an ego to welcome him in, and admit he's looking forward to talking football with him.  Spurrier is by a landslide my favorite Gator ever, and watching him this past decade plus being a part of another school has sucked.  Glad he's back!

As for on the field, interested to see how they look.  Luke Del Rio (Jack's kid) got the starting QB job, and by all accounts he's very comfortable in the offense.  He was there all last year, though he had to sit because of a transfer.  But he spent the time well picking up the offense, and gaining the confidence of the team.  He looked great in the spring game, and practice reports have been glowing.  If he can just run the offense, and not try to press too much, we have enough play-makers on offense to be fairly explosive.  

Defense should once again be stacked.  Lost a lot of good talent to the pros, but return a lot as well and another year in the new scheme can't hurt.  Secondary should be on lock-down mode constantly, and the d-line will punish.  Linebacker right now is the only question mark, we're lacking a bit of depth there, but they should be fine.  

Hoping to compete in the SEC East again, as there are question marks there for all teams.  Like how we're flying under the radar this year (our shitty end of last year seems to have scared off the 'pundits').  Win 10 games and the East in Mac's first year, and still no one thinking we'll be worth much in year 2.  Love it.  

Starts up on Saturday against UMass.  The coolest part of the game this weekend is we're officially re-naming the field after Spurrier.  Honest to God, things are back to normal in Hogtown... Spurrier is a Gator again!

Go Gators!

12 hours ago, HokieStone said:

It's not as bad with Tennessee as it is with Miami.  Every year "The U is back, baby!" 

And just to be pedantic, App St. is a 1A (FBS) team...albeit I think they just came up from 1AA(FCS) in the last 3-4 years...

They are favorites to win the sun belt, for whatever that is truly worth.  I'm baffled by the UT team i saw last night and app st, clearly, just wanted it more.  UT blew an opportunity to let other top 10 schools be the victim of overrated preseason hype syndrome, for the week anyway.  they have A LOT of work to do, i think.

I don't believe, right now, that either vandy or south carolina play in a bowl game this year.  that game was a mess.  i suppose that vandy's defense was as advertised, pretty damn stiff, but the gamecock offense have a long ways to go.

so many good games this weekend; i obviously have a dog in the clemson auburn game and i am going to get meaningful answers about my team right from the jump.  i am frothing at the mouth.  more exciting than that though is the sheer number of people in the same situation.  there are so many of us that are facing some immediate fierce competition.  

ah, college football my dear old friend :cheers:

ETA: that reeves-maybin targeting lick was sick.  i felt bad for the app state kid.

48 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Waking up to live football at 8am?  Love it!  The UK should host more games.  

Having watched former Kentucky QB Towles through 2 drives now, he's 0-5 passing with 1 INT.  

Yeah I love it. Too bad with the rainy conditions it's not a better game. Ga Tech's going to have issues on that track.

Had no idea Towles was at BC now...

Yeah... the Irish are going to tell us to stop sending games over there if this is the quality we send them.  :D 

Poor Towles.  I really was hoping he could turn it around this year.

Towles came back and had a good 2nd half... ended up completing like 10 in a row and finishing with like 150 yards passing.  Par for the course for him.  That last drive by Ga Tech was nuts, especially that play on 4th and 19.

Houston is running OU out of their own stadium! :eek:

Woof.  OU fired some coaches 3 or 4 years ago because they werne't recruiting well. The guys they brought in are seniors now, and you could tell. There were a lot of super underwhelming players out there today for OU. That game wasn't as close as it looked. Could have easily been a 30 point Houston win, and I don't even feel that Houston is a great team. OU is just not very good.

2 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

State loses to South Alabama. :rofl:  Ohhhh my sides.

I saw that too.  Another opponent on UK's schedule looks extremely beatable, hooray!

Watching the game at Lambeau... calling dibs on Les Miles (on behalf of UK) right now! :drunk:  I can feel the LSU boosters' blood boiling all the way in the Bluegrass.

ETA: I ran out to the grill for a few minutes and come back to LSU has tied the game. That was a quick 13  14 points!

24 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I saw that too.  Another opponent on UK's schedule looks extremely beatable, hooray!

Watching the game at Lambeau... calling dibs on Les Miles (on behalf of UK) right now! :drunk:  I can feel the LSU boosters' blood boiling all the way in the Bluegrass

MSU has nothing resembling an SEC QB on its roster. Without Dak Prescott to hide behind, Dan Mullen will be exposed this season for the epic fraud that he is. I've got my popcorn ready!

As for Miles...dude. He can't coach. I mean, look at the absurd level of talent he gets at LSU and what he ends up doing with it. His agent's performed miracles with his contract the last few years or he would surely already be gone from there.

32 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

MSU has nothing resembling an SEC QB on its roster. Without Dak Prescott to hide behind, Dan Mullen will be exposed this season for the epic fraud that he is. I've got my popcorn ready!

As for Miles...dude. He can't coach. I mean, look at the absurd level of talent he gets at LSU and what he ends up doing with it. His agent's performed miracles with his contract the last few years or he would surely already be gone from there.

I'm hoping that Miles's agent can continue to work miracles because the thought of someone like Tom Herman in Red Stick gives me nightmares.  

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm hoping that Miles's agent can continue to work miracles because the thought of someone like Tom Herman in Red Stick gives me nightmares.  

Exactly. It's crazy to call LSU a "sleeping giant" because of the success they've had, but good lord, if they got an actual hot shot coach in that place they would be unstoppable.

Archived