College football 2016 - aSECendency

lokisnow

10 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Safe to say that Les is back on the hot seat again. This is what happens when you have no passing game.

His stubbornness regarding offensive philosophy is baffling to me. Even Saban finally realized that opening up your offense is a good thing in modern football. 

Supposedly the only reason Les didn't get canned after last season was the combination of his massive buyout and the university's well-documented financial problems. If they lose 4 or 5 games this year perhaps the tipping point will finally be reached. But as Mike pointed out above, fans of other SEC schools don't want that to happen. As long as The Hat stays, we've always got a chance to beat them.

45 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Ok. State cruised in their season opener. The game was mostly a snoozer, although it was nice to see a Sanders lined up again at the running back position. We didn't really learn anything about the Cowboys today, but I think we will know more after the Central Michigan game next week. If nothing else, it looks Searles is stepping nicely into the main target position for Rudolph, what with the pre-season injury to Ateman

Just make sure y'all beat Pitt!

wvu played a solid game that was never really in doubt and I am happy with that against a team with a salty D like Mizzou.

O-line did an excellent job against their D line.  Was happy to see us able to run the ball against that front. We definitely have two solid RBs and a solid FB too.  I know Holgs wants to throw but I think we can win a lot of games if we shoot for a 60/40 run pass ratio.  

QB Howard looked a little better and when he went out for an injury for a couple series' it was clear why he is the starter.  He missed a couple of throws that I would have liked to have had but he completed 65% and if he can hover in that zone all season I'm cool with it.

was also pleased with the D even though I'm told Missouri hasn't has the best offense.  The Tigers got a garbage time TD (and almost got two actually) but the starters kept them out of the end zone and only gave up a pair of field goals.

all in all, a solid OOC win against a team with a very good D that I was honestly a little nervous about facing.  

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Believe me, we'll do our best. I'll be at that game, I'm excited to see a different non-conference opponent.

It was good seeing y'alls win against Mizzou (sorry loki!). What with TCU behind at South Dakota State, OU losing and Texas' likely loss to Notre Dame, this is shaping up to be a rough opening week for the Big 12.

Jeez, after a good first quarter, things are getting ugly quick for USC.

Im watching the TCU game now.  If this is any indication they are gonna take a couple Big 12 L's this year.  But with that said, South Dakota state has made some incredible plays through the air.

Had a great time tailgating in Lexington... First half was a lot of fun...

Now, as promised... I'm ready for some Bam Adebayo highlights! :bang: 

FA... Trisk... See you guys in the college basketball thread in a few months.  Everyone else; see ya next year!

:leaving: 

Well I pretty much split the difference on my worst case best case scenario for Usc (my worst case was 58-0, best case was a 38 to 13 loss), so I am encouraged that we played twenty minutes of really good football... Who am I kidding that was crap and we gave up nonstop big plays, we are going to be murdered this season like I thought when I saw the schedule from hell.

However if it is a really bad season, perhaps we win the tom Herman/chip kelly lottery everyone will be playing for at the end of the season?

ucla, and Missouri lost, bad day of football, but it wasn't a complete loss, Oklahoma lost which is one of the best things in football that can happen on a Saturday, so silver linings, folks.

it is unfortunate that Alabamas win will overshadow it but the SEC looks like shit this weekend across the board. I don't think they're the best conference this year.

47 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Well I pretty much split the difference on my worst case best case scenario for Usc (my worst case was 58-0, best case was a 38 to 13 loss), so I am encouraged that we played twenty minutes of really good football... Who am I kidding that was crap and we gave up nonstop big plays, we are going to be murdered this season like I thought when I saw the schedule from hell.

However if it is a really bad season, perhaps we win the tom Herman/chip kelly lottery everyone will be playing for at the end of the season?

ucla, and Missouri lost, bad day of football, but it wasn't a complete loss, Oklahoma lost which is one of the best things in football that can happen on a Saturday, so silver linings, folks.

it is unfortunate that Alabamas win will overshadow it but the SEC looks like shit this weekend across the board. I don't think they're the best conference this year.

Pretty much the only thing worth hoping for is a complete collapse. I'm talkin' 3 win season.

A clean house is needed for when the 49'ers fire Chip.

I've been watching football for a long time and auburn's 3 man qb rotation is baffling to me.  a passer and a wildcat guy i definitely get, but not two passers and a wildcat guy...i just don't know.

i'm very impressed with the way our defense performed...they will probably keep us close enough to our opponent for the offense to screw up and win a couple that we shouldn't but i'm holding out hope that the offense will iron it out sooner rather than later.  to hold the high powered clemson offense back the way they did is pretty amazing.  if they remain consistent, we'll be tough to score on.

now if malzahn will just make it "all hands on deck" and throw woody barrett out there for a few snaps next week, we can beat this weeks record and play 4 qbs in one game :(

10 hours ago, Rhom said:

Had a great time tailgating in Lexington... First half was a lot of fun...

Now, as promised... I'm ready for some Bam Adebayo highlights! :bang: 

FA... Trisk... See you guys in the college basketball thread in a few months.  Everyone else; see ya next year!

:leaving: 

I wouldn't pack it in just yet Rhom. Outside of Georgia the SEC east was not impressive in week one.  I saw no reason to believe that Kentucky couldn't sneak a handful of SEC wins.  

7 minutes ago, S John said:

I wouldn't pack it in just yet Rhom. Outside of Georgia the SEC east was not impressive in week one.  I saw no reason to believe that Kentucky couldn't sneak a handful of SEC wins.  

We were outcoached by Shannon Dawson SJohn... Shannon Dawson!!!!!

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

We were outcoached by Shannon Dawson SJohn... Shannon Dawson!!!!!

:lol:  Well to be fair, USM will probably run away with CUSA this year and be an 11-12 win team. I know that doesn't make it any easier to swallow, but still. 

Don't give up dude - I honestly believe this is your year to finally beat Mississippi State. That team sucks out loud. Really wish they had opened with USM. They'd have gotten run out of the yard, which would've been even funnier than watching them blow a 17-point lead to South Alabama.

10 hours ago, D_P said:

I've been watching football for a long time and auburn's 3 man qb rotation is baffling to me.  a passer and a wildcat guy i definitely get, but not two passers and a wildcat guy...i just don't know.

i'm very impressed with the way our defense performed...they will probably keep us close enough to our opponent for the offense to screw up and win a couple that we shouldn't but i'm holding out hope that the offense will iron it out sooner rather than later.  to hold the high powered clemson offense back the way they did is pretty amazing.  if they remain consistent, we'll be tough to score on.

now if malzahn will just make it "all hands on deck" and throw woody barrett out there for a few snaps next week, we can beat this weeks record and play 4 qbs in one game :(

Last night crushed me, DP.  We have a defense for the first time in nearly a decade.  We have an aces special teams unit, including maybe the best kicker in the nation.  We have talent all over the roster.  And that is what Gus does with the offense.  A 3 QB rotation that would substitute mid-series.  A WR started out at RB.  Our "passing QB" wasn't allowed to throw the ball downfield until the 2nd half.  Our "running QB" didn't have a single carry.  Our versatile FB took about 7 snaps from center in some kind of version of the Notre Dame Box.  Of course, we looked completely inept.

Then Gus defends his game plan in the post game presser and promises to keep doing what he is doing.  Ugh.  Given how awful the rest of the SEC looked, this could have been a great season.  Now, it looks as bleak as last year.

59 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Kiser is just better than Zaire.  They should go all in.

I concur.

ETA: Oh, and Kizer is back in for two possessions in a row. It's like they're listening to Trisky.

Archived