College football 2016 - aSECendency

lokisnow

13 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

So, sorry to bring the NFL to the CF thread, but I've watched zero preseason as usual. So, does Dak look like a competent or better NFL QB? Sorry, but from your statement, my interest is piqued. Never thought that was a possibility.

As a Cowboys fan I was glad to see us draft him, I hoped Dallas would draft him round earlier, then thought someone else would and we would lose him.  The preseason has me feeling absolutely ecstatic about the POSSIBILITIES. However, I am pragmatic and know that it was the preseason and he may look entirely different come Sunday at 4:25pm. IIRC he had close to a max QBR, 5 td passes, 2 rushing tds and no turnovers, something close to that.

5 hours ago, lokisnow said:

Texas is about ten spots too high, and it's silly to see Georgia above Wisconsin and Michigan state, but overall they've had worse rankings

Wisconsin actually got a bigger jump than Texas.  I think both are a little too high.  

27 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'm in the camp that thinks ranking are pointless until a month or so into the season.  Gives us something to talk about, but that's about it.

Agreed.  I really wish they didn't come out until week 4 or 5.  It can effect perception for the whole season if you start outside of the rankings, and when the playoff is decided by a group of humans rather than by some infallible formula, perception matters.  Also early polls favor traditional powers for no other reason than that they are usually good, which makes sense, but it isn't quite objective.

45 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

So this Lamar Jackson kid from Louisville is pretty good...13 TDs in less than 4 quarters.

Yeah... Got an eyeful of him last year.  Not exactly looking forward to playing him later this year. :(

7 hours ago, Triskan said:

Man, Jackson looks crazy-talented.  Ball comes out of the hand so live.  He was attempting difficult, downfield passes all day and completing some and narrowly missing on others.  There is the potential for a quite crazy non-power-five game between Houston and Louisville.

Pretty unremarkable day in the Pac-12 with the Mormon-on-Mormon matchup of BYU v. Utah as probably the most interesting game.  The Huskies play a 1-AA opponent this week and next week, so it will be a while before we get to see if they're legit. 

Louisville is in the ACC.  They host Florida State in two weeks.

Lamar Jackson looks incredible... looking forward to watching him against a real defense next week and see if he can keep it up.  

Not may games of interest today... I'll probably watch whatever's close, and UK-Florida until UK puts on their best Tennessee fainting goat impression. 

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Shame on me, but how weird that (as I know look at the schedule) that they play Houston and UK at the end of the year.  Kind of like USC and Notre Dame or Florida and Florida State always playing late.

I could go on another rant about all this conference switching, and I do not accept that Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big Ten if that is indeed what conference they're in.

Yeah, they moved UK v UofL to the end of the season when they moved to the ACC.  That's when all the big SEC/ACC match ups are.  It used to be the first game of the year every year.  Then UK wanted it moved so they did it at the 4th game of the year when UK was hosting and first game when at UofL.  Finally the conferences said "Enough with the ridiculousness!"

I think it belongs there, but it sure has sucked the last two years sitting at 5 wins and needing to get the 6th from your arch rival... only to fail.

Go Nicholls-Don't-Call-Us-State!!!  

Kentucky has totally squandered the opportunity to climb up the ladder in the SEC east the last few years.  This year is looking even more ripe for picking... the old me wants to say we'll turn it all around this afternoon against Florida and make a move.  The new me says don't get my hopes up.

ETA: Jinxed Nicholls.  Sorry guys, my bad

All of the the top teams looking horrible. Clemson ekes one out against a 1-AA opponent, Alabama in a dog fight with the mighty Hilltopperz of Western Kentucky. Georgia barely beats Nicholls, OSU loses to Central Michigan, tOSU is battling with Tulsa, Baylor losing to SMU.

ND keeps scoring in strange ways. Blocked PAT return, now a safety on a kickoff because a Nevada player totally lost track of where he was.

ETA: And then Kizer throws a pick. I'm sort of glad ND took themselves out of playoff contention in week one. Makes the rest of the season less stressful to watch.

6 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

ND keeps scoring in strange ways. Blocked PAT return, now a safety on a kickoff because a Nevada player totally lost track of where he was.

ETA: And then Kizer throws a pick. I'm sort of glad ND took themselves out of playoff contention in week one. Makes the rest of the season less stressful to watch.

What about the big boy with the pick? I love that kinda stuff. And the safety, are you kidding me? I was laughing my ass off.

ETA: That was an NFL TD right there from Kizer

Archived