Reading Feast for Crows for the 2nd time. Ive noticed something

urrutiap

Im a casual fan of the whole Game of Thrones books and Ive re-read Feast for Crows and up to page 287.

Seriously I think George Martin was running out of story and ideas etc for the characters.  Frankly. Im now bored of Cerci and Jamie lusting for each oather again and then there's Brienne who's completely useless not only as a woman but as a woman whos trying to prove to men and women etc that she's innocent and a knight. Getting on my nervies since the third book.

• 3 weeks later...

Casual fan here?  If you say so. ;)

I'm actually rereading it too.  No idea what page I'm on as I'm reading the kindle addition but can only disagree.  Cersie's chapters show how crazy and paranoid she is. Jamie's show a counterpoint to Cersie. I enjoy his chapters but hate reading hers. 

Mad for Brienne... I'm really not sure what you mean by "useless as a woman".    

• 11 months later...
On 9/20/2016 at 5:02 PM, John Suburbs said:

Feast is a diversion in the narrative, to be sure, and it relies on all-new (or mostly new) POVs, but there is a lot of backstory in there and revelations about the past that are helpful in figuring out the present.

If you want a crisp, tight plot, by all means don't read Martin.

I think his first three books had a crisp, tight plot, there wasn't much fat in there.  If you look at the books the first three were released in a consistent time frame of every 2 years.  It's no coincidence AFFC and ADWD took 5 and 6 years respectively, he got distracted and went way off the path of his original plot ideas.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:23 AM, Lurid Jester said:

Jamie's show a counterpoint to Cersie. I enjoy his chapters but hate reading hers. 

Agreed.  When I turn the page and see her name I groan every time.  The only person more annoying than her is Ygritte through Jon's POV chapters where every single freakin line is "you know nothing Jon Snow."

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, CoconutBackwards said:

I finished the book, but I can't see myself reading it again.  I HATED reading chapters from Cersei's POV.  I was actually upset when I finished a chapter and saw her name as the next.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, House Rootbreaker said:

Agreed.  When I turn the page and see her name I groan every time.  The only person more annoying than her is Ygritte through Jon's POV chapters where every single freakin line is "you know nothing Jon Snow."

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:23 AM, Lurid Jester said:

I enjoy his chapters but hate reading hers.

Welp

I guess you guys are not going to enjoy Winds that much. Because not only will Cersei be 2x more paranoid about everything, she'll be:

• right/justified in her paranoia (Dorne, the Faith, House Tyrell, Aegon, Stannis, "Tyrion")
  • unable to do anything about it

17 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Welp

I guess you guys are not going to enjoy Winds that much. Because not only will Cersei be 2x more paranoid about everything, she'll be:

• right/justified in her paranoia (Dorne, the Faith, House Tyrell, Aegon, Stannis, "Tyrion")
  • unable to do anything about it

I'll be turning every page hoping the next page describes an axe splitting hear head open.

2 hours ago, CoconutBackwards said:

I'll be turning every page hoping the next page describes an axe splitting hear head open.

HAHAHA yeah

I think part of the reason why Cersei chapters are such a painful read is because she is our one and ONLY PoV in King's Landing. Before Feast, we could had a variety of characters (Ned, Sansa, Tyrion and Arya) relating the King's Landing perspective. Now? Like you can hate her guts all you want to but, if you skip any line of her chapters, you're probably missing out on a huge chunk of the story.

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

HAHAHA yeah

I think part of the reason why Cersei chapters are such a painful read is because she is our one and ONLY PoV in King's Landing. Before Feast, we could had a variety of characters (Ned, Sansa, Tyrion and Arya) relating the King's Landing perspective. Now? Like you can hate her guts all you want to but, if you skip any line of her chapters, you're probably missing out on a huge chunk of the story.

I actually liked Cersei's chapters on first read, but damn are they tough to get through on re-read.  I think the main reason is that her POV is a bit of a running joke, and once you're in on it it just becomes a total chore.  Not to mention that she's the only POV who is downright evil and insane.  I imagine GRRM had a ton of fun writing these, but can't help but feel like they were totally unnecessary.  Not every location requires a new POV, and I think it would have worked a lot better had we gotten stuff 3rd hand through Jaime and Sansa's POVs (like LF could complain with more detail about how Cersei is botching things in King's Landing.)

1 hour ago, Tagganaro said:

I actually liked Cersei's chapters on first read, but damn are they tough to get through on re-read.  I think the main reason is that her POV is a bit of a running joke, and once you're in on it it just becomes a total chore.  Not to mention that she's the only POV who is downright evil and insane.  I imagine GRRM had a ton of fun writing these, but can't help but feel like they were totally unnecessary.  Not every location requires a new POV, and I think it would have worked a lot better had we gotten stuff 3rd hand through Jaime and Sansa's POVs (like LF could complain with more detail about how Cersei is botching things in King's Landing.)

While I am inclined to agree with the notion that not every place and situation needs a POV, I have to disagree.

Especially in reference to King's Landing. That's one of the singular, most important places in Westeros, if not the entire world. It's a big setting.

I do agree that Sansa could've benefitted from having more chapters in Feast, receiving secondhand and thirdhand information about the state of the nation as a whole and King's Landing in particular. After the Red Wedding, you'd think Sansa would take a greater interest in current events and the things happening behind the scenes and the political movers 'n shakers responsible.

17 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

While I am inclined to agree with the notion that not every place and situation needs a POV, I have to disagree.

Especially in reference to King's Landing. That's one of the singular, most important places in Westeros, if not the entire world. It's a big setting.

I do agree that Sansa could've benefitted from having more chapters in Feast, receiving secondhand and thirdhand information about the state of the nation as a whole and King's Landing in particular. After the Red Wedding, you'd think Sansa would take a greater interest in current events and the things happening behind the scenes and the political movers 'n shakers responsible.

If you want to argue King's Landing needs a POV, I can accept that (although I disagree respectfully).  I'd say my issue is that if KL needs a POV, then write the story so that a character who already is a POV is there.  Because I think we can all agree that AFFC/ADWD is messy and clunky, in large part due to all the extra and new POVs in AFFC that pushed the main characters to ADWD.  And yes, I certainly agree that Sansa, Arya, Bran for example should have been featured more in AFFC (perhaps ideally cutting out all the Dorne/Iron Islands stuff and fitting the other major POVs from ADWD into AFFC).

On the King's Landing front, your point about it being a majorly important place is well-taken.  However, I found the majority of stuff in Cersei's chapters to be rather local and confined to KL issues, and the more regional stuff again I think it would be pretty easy to convey that through other POVs talking about what's going in KL.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, John Suburbs said:

Feast is a diversion in the narrative, to be sure, and it relies on all-new (or mostly new) POVs, but there is a lot of backstory in there and revelations about the past that are helpful in figuring out the present.

Agreed, personally I enjoyed AFFC and find the criticism of the book tends to be quite harsh.

The POV's in AFFC serve a different purpose and imo is absolutely necessary in understanding the plot as the backstory has a lot to reveal.

It had to be done at some point and to me it makes sense that he decided to after ASoS considering how (to very, very simply put) eventful it was. I guess people were expecting AFFC to continue with the same pace and direction.

• 2 months later...

Obviously AFFC is considered the most boring book of them all and, if in any book, the one in which GRRM possibly "dropped the ball" a little bit. But it's also because Storm was SO MAGNIFICENTLY GOOD!!!! Seriously, "A Storm of Swords" is a true masterpiece. It's got everything, so of course AFFC will be a disappointment in comparison.

But I do love Cersei's chapters and I think they are among the best in AFFC.

The other chapters are much worse. Who cares about Brienne endlessly wandering through the Riverlands without anything special happening or Jon freezing and fretting at the Wall? And the others as well...

I get it if you hate Cersei, but I don't think her chapters are boring at all. They were in fact great to me and contained some of the most creative and fascinating lines I've read in ASOIAF, such as her thinking about how she used to eat Robert's seed, "devouring all of his pale sticky princes" or something similar. Magnificent writing, I think.

Archived