WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case people are still sorting accomm, I still have a space in my apartment.

The details are:

- we are in the 3 bedroom apartment: which you can have a looksie at here

The kitchenette in it looks very basic; it should be good enough for breakfast stuff, but other meals it does like we'll be eating out.

Dates: we are booked 8th August to 14th August

People: Myself, Phil(MountainGoat), Dan(Targh), Johan(not sure what his westeros handle is) and Pod

The bed that is available is in the twin room with myself. I personally have no issues with sharing a room with a guy, but figured you should be aware of it so it's not a surprise on the day.

Price: total price for the week will be 172Euros each, and I don't mind that being paid to me, in Helsinki, in Euros. In fact, it would probably make life a helluva lot easier for me, as it would mean I don't have to worry about toting Euros around my Russia trip. :D

Looking at flights. Ryanair is flying to Tallinn relatively cheaply, but (right now anyway) it's cheaper to fly direct from Gatwick (urgh) to Helsinki on Norwegian Air, and the dates are a lot more conducive, as they fly daily (Ryanair is flying every 2 to 3 days).

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Looking at flights. Ryanair is flying to Tallinn relatively cheaply, but (right now anyway) it's cheaper to fly direct from Gatwick (urgh) to Helsinki on Norwegian Air, and the dates are a lot more conducive, as they fly daily (Ryanair is flying every 2 to 3 days).

Yep that's exactly what I was looking at. Norwegian air Gatwick to Helsinki. ..just the easiest...and cheapest

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'm in need of a space still. You sure that's not an issue?

It's not an issue at all, so if you want it, the bed is yours.

14 hours ago, Toft said:

Still need somewhere - that looks good - but Wert has beaten me by 13 mins ;-)

So sorry, if I had room for more I'd defo say yes.

Ok, we've booked a place in the Punavuori area of Helsinki, looking like it's south of the city centre? I need to compare it with the hotel locations. There are 4 of us, me and Kissdbyfire, and Little Miss Sunshine and All Men Must Rhyme.

Am thinking about flying to Belgium and joining them on the flight to Helsinki and back, since I've never been to Belgium. :)

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, we've booked a place in the Punavuori area of Helsinki, looking like it's south of the city centre? I need to compare it with the hotel locations. There are 4 of us, me and Kissdbyfire, and LittleMissSunshine and AllMenMustRhyme.

Am thinking about flying to Belgium and joining them on the flight to Helsinki and back, since I've never been to Belgium. :)

Yes :D so excited for this, and to see you all again! It's been too long since London!

23 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ok, we've booked a place in the Punavuori area of Helsinki, looking like it's south of the city centre? I need to compare it with the hotel locations. There are 4 of us, me and Kissdbyfire, and Little Miss Sunshine and All Men Must Rhyme.

Yay :)

I still need to book my flights...

On 3/12/2017 at 9:19 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Punavuori is a well-heeled neighbourhood that borders the southern edge of the inner city centre. Even the farthest bits ought not be more than a ten minute walk from a tram stop. The city of Helsinki loves marketting it as the heart of the so-called design district and there are plenty of cafes, bars and antique bookshops dotting the streets around viisikulma/femkanten.

3 minutes ago, Multaniette said:

Punavuori is a well-heeled neighbourhood that borders the southern edge of the inner city centre. Even the farthest bits ought not be more than a ten minute walk from a tram stop. The city of Helsinki loves marketting it as the heart of the so-called design district and there are plenty of cafes, bars and antique bookshops dotting the streets around viisikulma/femkanten.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've purchased my plane tickets and my hotels are booked so I guess I am official.  Or at least somewhat official as I have actually not yet purchased my Worldcon membership!  Luckily there are direct flights between Helsinki and Chicago in the summer so that makes everything that much easier.  I am making a proper vacation of this and plan to see Helsinki and other parts of Finland so I will be there from the 4th to the 14th of August.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm the slowest of the Slow, I am looking into getting a membership soon, but have no idea where to stay. Someone mentioned BWB-houses and Facebook groups oh my and this sounds great, but I see nothing on FB so if some kind soul could message me the details later I would be forever happy :D and tyvm etc.

Archived