WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

On 8/4/2017 at 11:30 AM, Cuellar said:

(Repost from facebook) Normally I let Lee do all the food organizing, but I decided to set up dinner (at a gastropub, so reasonably priced) for Sunday August 13th (shooting for 7 PM).  Location is Bryggeri Helsinki a Finnish gastropub, afew blocks from the central station: 

http://bryggeri.fi/en/

Was shooting for 10 people, have 10, but can up the reservation if anyone else wants in. 

At the bar outside (they have heaters), dinner is inside downstairs if you don't see us or coming late.  Supposed to start raining any second.

It is over. I had a great time with everybody, and judging from what I have read on the book of faces, so did many others.

In numbers:

Con events attended: 3 panels, 1 opening ceremony, 1 interview, 1 awards ceremony, 1 signing, 1 excellent ASOIAF-themed quiz (GO TEAM BARDS! :commie:)

Ribbons on the name tag collected: 4

New acquaintances: many

New books: one, with a signature that I will spend my whole life paying for :P

Balance between sightseeing and being at the con space: probably around 1 : 1, which I find suitable

Question left unanswered: Did Peadar get his moomin lollipop back?

Well, I am back! I spent the entirety of Monday recovering before travelling on Tuesday, which took a significant portion of the day. I was lucky to not have any work over the con period but suddenly had something large that needed doing just at the right time. (Well, I could do with more rest but it's welcome.)

As always, I enjoyed seeing you all, old faces and new, though who has a new face these days? Only a certain Stark seems to pull that off. Anyway. The Finns did it, and I'm glad so many BwBs made it. I attended enough con and not really enough Helsinki (no sauna!) but I did take time off to re-visit some of my favourite places in the city on the Sunday night. I wish I had made some of the dinner plans but I am glad we made up for that with drinks.

Now I suppose I will have to look at attending Titancon again!

It was a good con. I only made it to 1 panel (Robin Hobb's animals of fantasy) but I did spend a lot of time on the TitanCon desk and the dinners were great. Managed to sneak off for a day trip to Tallinn and another around Helsinki, which were both pretty cool.

My turn :P

I think I already said everything on the Facebook group, but anyway: it was awesome to see all pf you, either old or new friends, and experience a Con again - even a badly managed one at the start (looking at you, Finns >.>). I can't wait for Dublin & Eurocon 2019 :) 

QUIZ TEAM BARDS FTW!!! This year we got a solid middle place, but we'll surely end on the Top 3 the next time around :)

#postconblues

35 minutes ago, Little Miss Sunshine said:

With a mod on the team you guys should be ashamed you did not get 1st place :P

I'm a little rusty. Having one of the answers tattooed on my arm helped. :P

21 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Question left unanswered: Did Peadar get his moomin lollipop back?

Pod slipped it into my pocket... I'll never let it go again :)

As for me, I had a tremendous time. Too many wonderful conversations to count. New friends made. New food discovered.

How wonderful to see you all! We should do all of that again.

On 17.8.2017 at 7:12 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

So, I've had a few of you fine folks add me on social media since joining the Facebook group, and it occurs to me that I don't who these people are on the board.

I thought i came across a page a while back that listed everyone's board monograms next to their RL names/faces. Does anyone know if that's still around?

I have no idea who you are either. ;)

There was a pinned post on the Brotherhood without Banners FB page that had that info. Don't know if people who joined have added their names to it recently, though.

My thanks to the Brotherhood for the Helsinki con! I met a couple of you only fleetingly and got to exchange a word or two. And now I'm proud to carry the BwB ribbon (which I kind of begged for, and was kindly given by a lady at the info desk).

Hoping to make new acquaintances and get to know the Brotherhood better in Dublin. :)

Archived