WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

10 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Really, really want to go to this one, but am totally skint at the moment (on account of divorce), so hopefully you can get memberships at a later date.

I get the impression Worldcons don't tend to sell out, although I suppose it's theoretically possible.

12 hours ago, Lyanna Stark said:

Really, really want to go to this one, but am totally skint at the moment (on account of divorce), so hopefully you can get memberships at a later date.

Also, you can often find folks who bought early and then discovered that they can't attend for one reason or another, and who are willing to sell their memberships for their price (as compared to the increased prices that come at regular intervals).

• 1 month later...

Hi, the prices will go up at January 2, exactly 00.00 Eastern European Time. 

Hope to see you there!

(And no, we won't sell out, we can add more space to our contract with Messukeskus if it is starting to look tight!)

6 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

This is the sort of thing I'd have loved to go to (I don't have much experience of conventions, and amongst other things, it would actually give me a rare opportunity to practice my Finnish). Sadly, I'm stuck on the other side of the world, with no money. :(

save up for 2020 then.    IIRC New Zealand is the only Bid currently for that year.

How are people planning on getting from the UK to Helsinki? I'm trying to think of best way...

On 14/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, Pebbles said:

save up for 2020 then.    IIRC New Zealand is the only Bid currently for that year.

That will be so cool :o I'd save up my pennies for that 

I'm doing UK-Helsinki, and am flying Lufthansa. I'm flying Manc-Moscow (and making my way into Helsinki from Russia by train) and then Hel-Manc for the return journey.

Some people are looking at flying into Talinn, which is only a ferry ride away.

Also, when we did ArchipeliCon, some people flew into Stockholm and then got the ferry across - might also be a viable option, though tbh, I haven't looked into it. Myself, I flew directly into Helsinki with FinnAir and then flew to Aland, and it wasn't a bad flight. Price was reasonable enough.

How are people planning on getting from the UK to Helsinki? I'm trying to think of best way...

The cheapest way does seem to be to fly to Talinn (in Estonia) and then catch the ferry across the Gulf of Finland.

On 13. 12. 2016 at 9:32 PM, Sini said:

Hi, the prices will go up at January 2, exactly 00.00 Eastern European Time.

Thanks!

And being born in December 1991, I see I still qualify for a Youth membership, is this right? This is wonderful because money!

On 16.12.2016 at 10:00 PM, Buckwheat said:

And being born in December 1991, I see I still qualify for a Youth membership, is this right? This is wonderful because money!

Yes, as age-bound memberships refer to a person's age on the first day of the convention, 9 August 2017.

I'm going to this but I have not done anything about actually organising it yet. Tallinn is nice and it can indeed be cheaper to fly there than to Helsinki direct. Depends if you like ferries - I do!

Archived