WorldCon Helsinki 2017 - Attendance list p1!

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

I forgot to say where I will be staying in my previous post, but I'll also be staying at this hotel.

In fact, Peadar and I are only staying at the Cumulus on Tuesday night. After that we're off to the Sokos Pasila.

It is so cold in Helsinki! :o I am here at 32°C in the middle of a draught packing for under 20°C in Helsinki complete with long trousers, a jacket and waterproof shoes for the possibility of rain. Weird.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is so cold in Helsinki! :o I am here at 32°C in the middle of a draught packing for under 20°C in Helsinki complete with long trousers, a jacket and waterproof shoes for the possibility of rain. Weird.

Oh its been raining.   Its definitely been raining.   - reminded me of Titancon coach trip Number 1.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeach it was a shocker to see the weather... Had to dig out a jacket and umbrella.

Since nothing is specifically organized, anyone interested in meeting up in a bat near central thursday? Will call around and see potentially places if si.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I was in Tallinn two weeks ago and boy was it SCORCHING HOT! 23C that felt like 33C to everyone. I was hoping Helsinki would be the same, but I guess i should pack my hoodie :(

20 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

At lot of people seem to arrive late on Tuesday evening. What about meeting at the airport and going into town together?

My flight arrives at 22:00 and as I said I'm waiting for Targh, who arrives at 23:30.

Maybe some of you from the UK/London are on the same flight. :)

I'd wait for you too, @Peadar ;)

I think I'm in at 23:00? I think at that stage I'd get a taxi rather than a bus! What are you thinking of?

1 hour ago, Peadar said:

I think I'm in at 23:00? I think at that stage I'd get a taxi rather than a bus! What are you thinking of?

I think we wanted to brave public transport as we're staying at the same place.

I wouldn't mind sharing a taxi, though. If we can get one with all the luggage. And at that time of the night.

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Welcome to Northern Europe :). Just be glad the convention isn't in Scotland, the weather in Helsinki looks to be a few degrees warmer than it is here.

the train stops near the convention center.     

Public transport in Helsinki looks a lot better than what I'm used to back hope.   

Oh and its on time.   also the buses don't wait till you are sat down and take off at racing speeds  so be ready to hold on to something.

as for the weather.  there are hot sunny spells and inter spaced with lots of heavey showers.  Helsinki doesn't do light rain (well not so far)   I highly recommend layers.      if out and about.      Just in the convention center you won't need as much.   elsewhere bring something warm you can take off and bring something water proof.

13 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

I think we wanted to brave public transport as we're staying at the same place.

I wouldn't mind sharing a taxi, though. If we can get one with all the luggage. And at that time of the night.

I think one of my friends is on the same flight I'm on, although I'm not sure where she's staying. If we're doing taxis, it might make sense to figure out who is near whom and divide the taxis up accordingly... I'll see if I can find out... Where are you staying?

Arriving WednesTuesday around 13:00, leaving Monday evening, staying at the Scandic Simonkentta (or something) near the central train station.

@Cuellar, in the latest progress report, it says that Uber and similar services are illegal in Finland :(

2 hours ago, Cuellar said:

I take Uber everywhere in the world (well Lyft actually). Usually fast, cheap, and talk to interesting locals. Assume it works in helsinki?

As far as I know Uber is not available in Helsinki. IIRC it's actually illegal.

Archived