Westeros Dynasty 2016

grozeng

5 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I don't like the idea of giving someone $200 and a blank slate to buy anyone.  If they play their cards right they can get all the good people available and then the cheap people at the end with that much money.

I could not disagree more.  The very nature of a Dynasty/Keeper league is that money is worth less and prices are higher for the available players precisely because so many good players are locked up at prices far below market.  The amount of "Dead Money" does not nearly make up for this, unless you've been a complete idiot. 

IMO the smart path for an expansion franchise would be to spend on three superstars, and give them 1-year contracts then trade them for other teams' good contracts when you inevitably suffer the fate of expansion teams everywhere.

I like the idea of being able to drop two guys for free one time. My biggest grievance is that I had nearly 70% of my cap space spent to start the year while needing to fill out half my roster. That kind of made it impossible to compete so I had to accept that I’m playing for next year.

10 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I could not disagree more.  The very nature of a Dynasty/Keeper league is that money is worth less and prices are higher for the available players precisely because so many good players are locked up at prices far below market.  The amount of "Dead Money" does not nearly make up for this, unless you've been a complete idiot. 

IMO the smart path for an expansion franchise would be to spend on three superstars, and give them 1-year contracts then trade them for other teams' good contracts when you inevitably suffer the fate of expansion teams everywhere.

But it is not an expansion team.  It's a team taking over for an old owner.  So you clean ship.  Get rid of players you can cut.  Take the cap hit and move on.  Money is not worth less.  Prices are inflated and if you have $200 to spend you have an upper hand on whoever is available.  I agree the smart move would be to buy 3 or 4 top players and then sit out to the end and just get all the $1 good deals at $2. it's a lot easier to do with $200.

I think they should drop the players they don't like and take the hit.

11 hours ago, grozeng said:

But it is not an expansion team.  It's a team taking over for an old owner.  So you clean ship.  Get rid of players you can cut.  Take the cap hit and move on.  Money is not worth less.  Prices are inflated and if you have $200 to spend you have an upper hand on whoever is available.  I agree the smart move would be to buy 3 or 4 top players and then sit out to the end and just get all the $1 good deals at $2. it's a lot easier to do with $200.

I think they should drop the players they don't like and take the hit.

You should be in recruiting. "Want to join this league that we have a hard time filling and to which we want to attract committed players?  Spend the first year cleaning up a mess someone else made.  You're already competing against well-run teams that have awesome contracts, but we won't even give you the option of a clean slate."

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

You should be in recruiting. "Want to join this league that we have a hard time filling and to which we want to attract committed players?  Spend the first year cleaning up a mess someone else made.  You're already competing against well-run teams that have awesome contracts, but we won't even give you the option of a clean slate."

I've never seen a bad case so well put, that was like art.

I actually think rebuilding a team can be fun. It’s just that I got dealt a really bad hand. Another idea in addition to the two free drops is allowing a new owner to reassign any existing contracts to just one year so that they can cut people without it affecting future seasons.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I actually think rebuilding a team can be fun. It’s just that I got dealt a really bad hand. Another idea in addition to the two free drops is allowing a new owner to reassign any existing contracts to just one year so that they can cut people without it affecting future seasons.

You wanna kick Phillip in the Knee while you talk shit about his team?

33 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You wanna kick Phillip in the Knee while you talk shit about his team?

I'll step over you on the way to doing so. 

30 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think being able to micro-fix the broken team is worse than a clean slate.  You should either take over, or start over.  Half measures is too much of an advantage.

That's fair.

Or we can truly make it an expansion team and they get a clean slate and 1 contract from every other team :)

I would rather have a couple of good contracts and $20 in penalties from dropping players than a clean slate but we probably should do a better job telling the new managers the benefits of dropping a player and taking the hit.

Edited by grozeng

I would very much like to change the rules going forward on cap hits, starting with contracts issued NEXT season.  There is just too much damned paperwork with the current method.  I think a cut should generate accelerated future salary obligations.  No more spreading out the hit (and having to remember) over the life of the contract.  If you cut a guy with 3 years remaining, rather than three years of 1/3, you get a one-time hit of the full salary (same total dollars, just all in one chunk).  With 2 years remaining, 2/3 and with one, as now 1/3.  2017 and earlier contracts would still get the current rule.

Plus, under WJ, all fractions were rounded up and I like that method. 

1 hour ago, grozeng said:

Were they?  I remember liking a $4 player better than $5 because it was cheaper to drop.  I don't mind keeping track of penalties over multiple years.

Yeah, I like the cap hit being spread out. Were it not for that, it would be really hard to drop a big contract.

The race for the final playoff slot is getting interesting.  Three teams have a shot.  Tywin must win out, including holding off Race tonight (Race needs 11 points from the Baltimore D, since defenses cannot score fractional points).

Problem is next week Tywin gets me.  And while my team pooped the bed in the biggest way this week, hard to see it doing so twice in a row.  But if Tywin pulls out the win, the playoff tie-breaker is total points and he has those by a long, long way.

If Tywin loses once, then the matchup between Blu-Ray and Jace becomes a defacto playoff game.

Technically, a fourth team has a mathematical chance of jumping back in the race, but it would need 43.46 or more from Joe Flacco tonight.

15 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

The race for the final playoff slot is getting interesting.  Three teams have a shot.  Tywin must win out, including holding off Race tonight (Race needs 11 points from the Baltimore D, since defenses cannot score fractional points).

Problem is next week Tywin gets me.  And while my team pooped the bed in the biggest way this week, hard to see it doing so twice in a row.  But if Tywin pulls out the win, the playoff tie-breaker is total points and he has those by a long, long way.

If Tywin loses once, then the matchup between Blu-Ray and Jace becomes a defacto playoff game.

Technically, a fourth team has a mathematical chance of jumping back in the race, but it would need 43.46 or more from Joe Flacco tonight.

Gotta hope that .36 margin of victory holds up. Also, I think it’s pretty funny that I’m third in scoring considering I don’t think much of my team and I lost my best player a few weeks ago plus I lost my most expensive player at the very beginning of the season. Unfortunately though, I’m also first in points against….

• 2 weeks later...

Things are still WIDE OPEN in Dynasty.  Jace and Race are projected to end up with in 0.17 of each other.

Jace has 99.84 + Jay Cutler and Rex Burkhead
Race has 75.92+ Tom Brady, Brandin Cooks and Kenyon Drake

This definitely sounds 50-50 to me.

Groz and Jaxom are also coming down to the wire.  They are projected to end up within 1.14 of each other

Groz is 110.08 + Jarvis Landry and Dion Lewis
Jaxom has 120.26 + Kenny Stills

Manhole and I wait for the winners.  Both he and I scored well over 150 this week.  We'll be solid favorites next week, one thinks.  But one never knows for sure.

16 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Things are still WIDE OPEN in Dynasty.  Jace and Race are projected to end up with in 0.17 of each other.

Jace has 99.84 + Jay Cutler and Rex Burkhead
Race has 75.92+ Tom Brady, Brandin Cooks and Kenyon Drake

This definitely sounds 50-50 to me.

Groz and Jaxom are also coming down to the wire.  They are projected to end up within 1.14 of each other

Groz is 110.08 + Jarvis Landry and Dion Lewis
Jaxom has 120.26 + Kenny Stills

Manhole and I wait for the winners.  Both he and I scored well over 150 this week.  We'll be solid favorites next week, one thinks.  But one never knows for sure.

It ended up being a bit less dramatic than expected last night, but I can't express how great an opponent Race was. His name might be spelled like a fool, but his heart spells champion.

• 2 weeks later...