Westeros Dynasty 2016

grozeng

47 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm cool with that.

On an unrelated note, I was offered TY Hilton ($6) for AJ Green ($37), both of whom are on the last year of their contracts. I like this idea as I'm likley in a rebuild mode, so it would be nice to get some extra cap space, but I don't find Hilton to be a particularly useful piece, as it looks like Luck might not be healthy anytime soon. Anyone interested in making a potentially better offer?   

I too am cool with allowing that.

And that offer seems WONDERFUL in my opinion.  I suspect the fella that made it is charming, handsome and wise.
Truth is, Hilton is not supposed to add much value to that deal.  It's just that Green is a useful piece for a team playing to win this year and I fear that is not you.

If you look at the draft in Keeper, the guys who went after round 11 are going to be in the 2-10$ range.  Those extra 31 bucks can likely get you four or five of them, locked down with four year deals that will become huge bargains.

In the unsolicited advice column, I'd recommend that those unfamiliar with this format refrain from offering long-term contracts to the top ten or fifteen players in the draft.  The way to win (and I've done very well in this format over the years) IMO is to have a bunch of super cheap guys and then the cap space to buy the stars that can be bought.  If you look at my keepers, you see me reaping the rewards of this strategy.  My biggest mistakes are having given Allen a long deal and giving up a tiny bit too soon (by weeks) on Kirk Cousins.  When I drafted Jordan Howard last year for $1, Langford looked like the future in Chicago.  And my thought was give all of your $1 prospects with potential four year deals and just factor your failure rate into the cost of those who succeed.

3 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I too am cool with allowing that.

And that offer seems WONDERFUL in my opinion.  I suspect the fella that made it is charming, handsome and wise.
Truth is, Hilton is not supposed to add much value to that deal.  It's just that Green is a useful piece for a team playing to win this year and I fear that is not you.

If you look at the draft in Keeper, the guys who went after round 11 are going to be in the 2-10$ range.  Those extra 31 bucks can likely get you four or five of them, locked down with four year deals that will become huge bargains.

In the unsolicited advice column, I'd recommend that those unfamiliar with this format refrain from offering long-term contracts to the top ten or fifteen players in the draft.  The way to win (and I've done very well in this format over the years) IMO is to have a bunch of super cheap guys and then the cap space to buy the stars that can be bought.  If you look at my keepers, you see me reaping the rewards of this strategy.  My biggest mistakes are having given Allen a long deal and giving up a tiny bit too soon (by weeks) on Kirk Cousins.  When I drafted Jordan Howard last year for $1, Langford looked like the future in Chicago.  And my thought was give all of your $1 prospects with potential four year deals and just factor your failure rate into the cost of those who succeed.

I get that bit, and I see that it is sound strategy, but Green is a top 4 WR. I feel like he's a win now piece for anyone who gets him in trade, and $37 is probably slightly undermarket for him. Hilton at $6 for only this year doesn't strike me as being ideal given his circumstance. Now if he were  on a 2 year deal, it might make more sense. Basically, if I'm going to rebuild (and given the team I have to work with that is the smartest move) I want to maximize that strategy by getting a low priced multi-year piece back. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ohhh, duh. I should have looked more closely at my team. So hypothetical, if I drop Barnidge I’d pay a $2 fine this year and that’s it, and if I dropped Miller I’d pay a $10 fine this year and next, correct? And would be the same if I kept them through the draft and then dropped them mid season?

Correct on the drops and the dollars.  If you keep them through the draft and drop Barnridge, there is no advanatage. If you drop Miller, he would be $10 next year only (since this year you had already paid the $10).  So basically if you drop Barnridge now, you get back $1 and a roster spot.

19 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

This is the truth.  The way you win this league is by locking up people at good value for long term and then spending on the top guys each year.  I had a lot of success when I traded with Race for Brees at $1 (first obligatory annual mention of that trade).  I was in rebuild mode so I gave up Tiki Barber and some other big name to get back Brees.  He went on to be Brees in New Orleans and i had the best QB each year for $1 for 3 years.  I did very well those 3 years.

53 minutes ago, grozeng said:

Correct on the drops and the dollars.  If you keep them through the draft and drop Barnridge, there is no advanatage. If you drop Miller, he would be $10 next year only (since this year you had already paid the $10).  So basically if you drop Barnridge now, you get back $1 and a roster spot.

Well considering that he’s not on a team, I’ll take the roster spot and the $1. I would like to officially drop him. (I don’t any hit next year for dropping, right?)

Next question, and thankfully there aren’t many left. During the bidding process, do you have to include the years as you bid or once you get the player?

No, years are once you get the player. You bid on them in straight dollars, and once it's over, say you have Brandon Marshall for $7, you can have him at that price for 1, 2, 3, or 4 years. Hypothetically. IDK if someone already has Brandon Marshall, or what he'd go for.

Do we allow Tywin to drop DeAngelo Williams and Branridge?  Maybe Williams since he left football (but now may be back) but not barnridge since he is just unsigned?

Or both?

On the years, I will want the contracts to be provided prior to the games on Week 2 (prior to Next Thursday)

Edited by grozeng

Sorry to keep peppering you guys wit questions, but I just want to make sure I’ve got this down. So after the draft, I can cut Brockstar and eat a $1 fine for the two following seasons.

ME, I think you and I are going to have to strip down our rosters to some extent and really play for next year. I’d take that Hilton deal if I were you. You're not going to win now, and you'll lose either of them at the end of the season, so do what Bronn suggested and grab some younger, cheaper guys and have them at value for the next few years. 

Also, is there a place where on the numbers are kept on the cite?

Manhole and I have a trade.  We're doing the discussed AJ Green for TY Hilton trade.  No dollars change hand except for the differences in salary.  Salary is the one and only reason this deal makes sense.  AJ is at or at least very near market value.  Hilton is well below.  And he has a far greater need to fill his roster with the 5-10 dollar guys that make him competitive down the road.

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

Manhole and I have a trade.  We're doing the discussed AJ Green for TY Hilton trade.  No dollars change hand except for the differences in salary.  Salary is the one and only reason this deal makes sense.  AJ is at or at least very near market value.  Hilton is well below.  And he has a far greater need to fill his roster with the 5-10 dollar guys that make him competitive down the road.

Thank you Ser. You drive a hard yet logical bargain. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sorry to keep peppering you guys wit questions, but I just want to make sure I’ve got this down. So after the draft, I can cut Brockstar and eat a $1 fine for the two following seasons.

Also, is there a place where on the numbers are kept on the cite?

You can do that but it makes no sense.  If you want to cut him, cut him now.  It will cost you the dollar but you can spend a dollar to get a flyer that might pay off.

Sadly, Yahoo does not keep our contracts for us.

Yeah, no reason to cut people after the draft.  Cut them pre-draft so you can just take the $1 on a flyer keeper.

I need cuts tonight so I can finalize everything in Yahoo.

Week 1 counts, so whoever has Gillislee gets 2 TDs and counting.

Also, you can trade contract dollars as well.  You can be over the $200 budget during the season, you just can't be over by next year's draft.  Any traded dollars are treated like a penalty.  So for example, Julio Jones was $35 for 3 years.  I forget the exact trade, but Jace took $5 of the $35 contract.  So when I traded for Julio Jones, he cost me $30 for each year and Jace had a $5 penalty she paid for each year.

Edited by grozeng

17 hours ago, grozeng said:

This is the truth.  The way you win this league is by locking up people at good value for long term and then spending on the top guys each year.  I had a lot of success when I traded with Race for Brees at $1 (first obligatory annual mention of that trade).  I was in rebuild mode so I gave up Tiki Barber and some other big name to get back Brees.  He went on to be Brees in New Orleans and i had the best QB each year for $1 for 3 years.  I did very well those 3 years.

Tiki was like the #1 RB in the league at the time and I needed a RB. Brees was a back up and was unproven coming off the torn labrum. I had Carson Palmer in Cinci as my starter locked up back when he was a top 5 QB. and I was challenging for the title. It made a ton of sense for me.

You also got Jay Cutler for $1 in the deal as well. Back when he was less of a punchline. :P