Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

Yeah, exactly on the 'type of person' for Captain Marvel. While she's good at hand-to-hand and whatnot, she shouldn't be incredibly built; she's an espionage and security expert. How Charize Theron looks in Atomic Blonde is about perfect as far as I can tell. 

Though again, not that I care that much. The important thing is to nail the character and make her compelling, which honestly shouldn't be that hard for her. 

On 12. 6. 2017 at 11:14 PM, Kalbear said:

Sure - T'Challah kicks ass - but being a superhero is now kind of all over the place. There are a lot of enhanced people out there. There's nothing from his suit to make anyone think that Wakanda itself is this super-advanced tech place. 

As I said, Ross in the comics is also doing the 'whoa, Wakanda' thing, so it makes sense they've adopted it. From the looks of the trailer it's pretty promising that they're taking some of the best parts of the Black Panther runs and adapting them. 

Ta-Nehisi Coates is working on it, a very good writer of the recent Black Panther comics and they're also taking an inspiration from Priest's run.

Misgivings come from how I can't picture how they're going to establish bigtime repore with Ms.Marvel.  Like, are you super enthused about Legion or any other character saddled with demons?   it seems they don't have anything to lean on for mining the public's good will like Wonder Woman did.   The missing piece is how the tone and tenor are to be set and how they're couching the whole "this is why you care."    Hey..... is it a full on disaster themed movie by that point in the story???  That could do it.  

Anyway I plan on protesting the movie like a slogan shouting democrat, something about how kate upton would have brought broader shoulders to the role and more powerful thighs.   But hey we're not concerned about Panther anymore so as of this instant i'm trusting Marvel to handle their Ms. exquisitely.   Kate in hero outfits forever.

9 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Well, this is pretty big news, y'all...

Amy Pascal, with Feige looking on, says Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable ARE based within the Homecoming Universe...

Which means these movies are based in the MCU.

I  love Feige's reaction to this as if it's the first time he's hearing it too with a hint of "me and Amy need to have a chat after this interview"

Wasn't Pascal the person who suggested Spider-man might not be shared with Marvel after the initial deal? Yup.

She seems a bit of a loose cannon.

Anyway she can say that it's set in the MCU but Marvel doesn't have to let the spin-off spidey films feature any of their characters if they don't wish. I suspect the only hard connection will be via the appearance of Tom Holland as Spidey. I'm still intrigued as to how they do a Venom film without featuring him prominently. It's sort of hard to justify Venom's powerset without him being attached to spidey.

On 2017-6-16 at 9:06 PM, Relic said:

Have you never seen a Tom Cruise movie? 

Yeah, and knowing that he's shorter than almost all of his female co-stars has me looking for the techniques they use to make him appear taller, which slightly breaks focus on the movie itself. Fortunately for the vast majority of the movie audience they won't have a clue about what Carol Danvers height is in the comics, so even if they don't use techniques to make her appear tall most of the audience won't notice or care.

14 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Misgivings come from how I can't picture how they're going to establish bigtime repore with Ms.Marvel.  Like, are you super enthused about Legion or any other character saddled with demons?   it seems they don't have anything to lean on for mining the public's good will like Wonder Woman did.   The missing piece is how the tone and tenor are to be set and how they're couching the whole "this is why you care."    Hey..... is it a full on disaster themed movie by that point in the story???  That could do it.  

Anyway I plan on protesting the movie like a slogan shouting democrat, something about how kate upton would have brought broader shoulders to the role and more powerful thighs.   But hey we're not concerned about Panther anymore so as of this instant i'm trusting Marvel to handle their Ms. exquisitely.   Kate in hero outfits forever.

Jessica Jones seems to have played pretty well with audiences.

If they could get someone like Brie Larsen to dub the dialogue and have Upton being on screen, and also CGI in the appropriate facial expressions, then I would certainly support her playing the role. Or CGI Brie Larsen's head onto Upton's body. Basically do the reverse of what they did with Captain America before he got the super soldier serum treatment.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I  love Feige's reaction to this as if it's the first time he's hearing it too with a hint of "me and Amy need to have a chat after this interview"

Wasn't Pascal the person who suggested Spider-man might not be shared with Marvel after the initial deal? Yup.

She seems a bit of a loose cannon.

Anyway she can say that it's set in the MCU but Marvel doesn't have to let the spin-off spidey films feature any of their characters if they don't wish. I suspect the only hard connection will be via the appearance of Tom Holland as Spidey. I'm still intrigued as to how they do a Venom film without featuring him prominently. It's sort of hard to justify Venom's powerset without him being attached to spidey.

Well, there goes the theory that they would set Venom in the Andrew Garfield continuity. Though with Stan Lee being an agent of the Watchers, and appearing in the tAS movies it means tAS is set in the MCU, just in an alternate reality. So arguably they could still go the Andrew Garfield route and just say Pascal slightly misconstrued the situation.

23 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Well, this is pretty big news, y'all...

Amy Pascal, with Feige looking on, says Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable ARE based within the Homecoming Universe...

Which means these movies are based in the MCU.

Yeah I'm not really buying that until Marvel confirms it. Maybe they'll be in the MCU in the sense that the TV shows are. 

21 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Though with Stan Lee being an agent of the Watchers, and appearing in the tAS movies it means tAS is set in the MCU,

Huh? By that logic the Star Wars Prequels are part of the MCU.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Huh? By that logic the Star Wars Prequels are part of the MCU.

Technically, it won't be a Stan Lee cameo because it will be an alien styled on Stan Lee and voiced by him.

Is Star Wars set within the Marvel comic book universe? i.e. do the Watchers actually have a connection in the source material to Star Wars?

After GotG2 and Stan Lee being revealed as an agent of the Watchers, this essentially ties all Marvel movies in which he's appeared together as all existing within the Marvel multiverse. It's just that the non-Marvel/Disney movies happen in a different continuity. All Spider Man movies are all part of the greater MCU canon. Tom Holland's Spider Man merely exists in the same continuity as the current Avengers continuity, whereas the previous Spideys exist in a different continuity. 

On 6/18/2017 at 2:42 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Well, there goes the theory that they would set Venom in the Andrew Garfield continuity. Though with Stan Lee being an agent of the Watchers, and appearing in the tAS movies it means tAS is set in the MCU, just in an alternate reality. So arguably they could still go the Andrew Garfield route and just say Pascal slightly misconstrued the situation.

I'd say the Stan Lee thing actually opens up the possibility that this might not be the MCU proper, as the Watchers are part of every Marvel splinter universe. The whole What If? set of comics were hosted by the Watcher and offered glimpses into alternate Marvel universes.

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'd say the Stan Lee thing actually opens up the possibility that this might not be the MCU proper, as the Watchers are part of every Marvel splinter universe. The whole What If? set of comics were hosted by the Watcher and offered glimpses into alternate Marvel universes.

It's not like Stan Lee starring in a movie suddenly means we can expect RDJR to turn up. The cartoons are as much a part of a multiverse as Amazing Spider-man and Fant4stic are. They don't Stan Lee turning up for that to be the case. Doesn't Marvel have infinite universes, in which case everything is a potential splinter franchise?

But going off Stan Lee appearing there's some good/bad news - he hasn't starrted in any of these (although maybe the Watcher is disguised).

Blade" (New Line Cinema 1998)

"Blade II" (New Line Cinema 2002)

"X2" (20th Century Fox 2003)

"The Punisher" (Lions Gate Films 2004)

"Blade: Trinity" (New Line Cinema 2004)

"Elektra" (20th Century Fox 2005)

"Ghost Rider" (Columbia Pictures 2007)

"Punisher: War Zone" (Lionsgate 2008)

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (20th Century Fox2009)

"X-Men: First Class" (20th Century Fox 2011)

"Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" (Columbia Pictures 2012)

"The Wolverine" (20th Century Fox 2013)

"X-men: Days of Future Past" (20th Century Fox 2014)

"Fant4stic" (20th Century Fox 2015)

The last one is odd though because it's about a team who creates interdimensional travel so you think they'd be the most likely to be connected to the MCU.

34 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I think it'd be quite funny if he showed up in a DC film, just in the background looking totally confused.

It'd be great if Superman took off next to him and he was like, "Who the hell is that guy?"

16 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Technically, it won't be a Stan Lee cameo because it will be an alien styled on Stan Lee and voiced by him.

Is Star Wars set within the Marvel comic book universe? i.e. do the Watchers actually have a connection in the source material to Star Wars?

After GotG2 and Stan Lee being revealed as an agent of the Watchers, this essentially ties all Marvel movies in which he's appeared together as all existing within the Marvel multiverse. It's just that the non-Marvel/Disney movies happen in a different continuity. All Spider Man movies are all part of the greater MCU canon. Tom Holland's Spider Man merely exists in the same continuity as the current Avengers continuity, whereas the previous Spideys exist in a different continuity. 

I don't buy that different franchises are connected based solely on the appearance of one actor in both. Not that it matters but there are Star Wars marvel comics I'm pretty sure. There's nothing suggesting that the non-MCU marvel movies are in any way connected to the MCU but weak speculation. 

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

By this logic, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Bladerunner are all in the same universe.

There is nothing that refutes this possibility. One takes place in the future, one takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and one takes place on Earth in the 1930s.

Archived