The Great British Bake Off 2016

Veltigar

@Veltigar, my dear, you never disappoint...

All my knowledge regarding this comes from...

Other than that, the only bake off contest is the one of TLC that I sometimes catch... Someone from New Jersey or Brooklyn, some Italian dude... And Ramsay... Masterchef was such a phony thing to watch. I couldn't tell because I have never seen it :D

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm hoping

Spoiler

Candice

wins at the moment

:fencing:Team

Spoiler

Selasi

FTW :commie:

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I don't know if there is a term for it, but most people I know would call that a "proper" bakery and I'd know what they mean. 

I love making bread, and it doesn't take long at all (well...sort of, but a lot of that is leaving the bread to prove so you can get on with other stuff). It goes stale fairly quickly though, otherwise I'd make it more often.

:cheers: (Garlic) bread is life, (garlic) bread is love. What would mankind be without bread, the world would not be the same. Having a proper bakery close at hand should be a basic human right! 

32 minutes ago, Risto said:

*Most subtle Christian Bale impression* I'M THE HERO THIS BOARD NEEDS, NOT THE ONE IT DESERVES :P 

35 minutes ago, Risto said:

All my knowledge regarding this comes from...

Oh brilliant :lmao:That's another national treasure right there. I don't like talkshows, the format is quite vapid, but the one exception is the Graham Norton show. Give him the right guests and something truly magical happens :)

37 minutes ago, Risto said:

Other than that, the only bake off contest is the one of TLC that I sometimes catch... Someone from New Jersey or Brooklyn, some Italian dude... And Ramsay... Masterchef was such a phony thing to watch. I couldn't tell because I have never seen it :D

You should definitely try and find some way of watching The Great British Bake-off. I think it would fit right up your alley :) 

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Wait, y'all are talking the post-Nadiya season of BBBS?  

I think the best option for you Americans is just to move to the UK, otherwise you'll have to wait ever so long for all the good stuff we are able to watch now :P 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I think the best option for you Americans is just to move to the UK, otherwise you'll have to wait ever so long for all the good stuff we are able to watch now :P 

God only knows how many tears have been shed because of Downton Abbey alone :D

On 9/8/2016 at 2:11 PM, Veltigar said:  Reveal hidden contents

Selasi

Oh brilliant :lmao:That's another national treasure right there. I don't like talkshows, the format is quite vapid, but the one exception is the Graham Norton show. Give him the right guests and something truly magical happens :)

We should really talk about the talk shows and whether the talk is really the talk or just some random jiber-jabbering of Hollywood phonies... Then again, I came across this one because somehow someone managed to persuade Dame Maggie Smith to do a bit of publicity for "The Lady in Van" which, I am afraid, will be her last movie.

On 9/8/2016 at 2:11 PM, Veltigar said:

You should definitely try and find some way of watching The Great British Bake-off. I think it would fit right up your alley :) 

I take that as the compliment :P

8 minutes ago, Risto said:

We should really talk about the talk shows and whether the talk is really the talk or just some random jiber-jabbering of Hollywood phonies... Then again, I came across this one because somehow someone managed to persuade Dame Maggie Smith to do a bit of publicity for "The Lady in Van" which, I am afraid, will be her last movie.

There is a great episode with Daniel Radcliffe, Rihanna and Colin Farrel. Some really funny stuf there. It's not always that good, but when it comes to talk shows, it's much more agreeable than most of these shows.

10 minutes ago, Risto said:

I take that as the compliment :P

't was intended that way ;) 

Also, I found another clip from Graham Norton with Bake-off inuendo :) 

6 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

There is a great episode with Daniel Radcliffe, Rihanna and Colin Farrel. Some really funny stuf there. It's not always that good, but when it comes to talk shows, it's much more agreeable than most of these shows.

I adored when Dame Maggie said (1) she was glad Downton was over and (2) how she said a boy to pull himself together after asking whether she was really a cat :D 

29 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Fuck the Tories and fuck those greedy dirtbags who decided to sell out to the highest bidder! Bake-off is apparantly leaving the BBC next season. The stupid bastards, may their money turn to ash and their genital herpes go untreated! 

I obviously don't know the details of the matter, but if the last deal was signed before the show became a massive international hit, and the BBC didn't increase their offer to reflect that, I can see why they'd move on.
Especially since I strongly suspect that the show makes the BBC a lot more in foreign rights sales and franchising than they spend on making it. They have a few shows- Top Gear, Strictly, Doctor Who - that are big moneymakers for them and I'd be surprised if GBBO wasn't fast becoming one of them.

It really depends on how much they were asking.

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I obviously don't know the details of the matter, but if the last deal was signed before the show became a massive international hit, and the BBC didn't increase their offer to reflect that, I can see why they'd move on.
Especially since I strongly suspect that the show makes the BBC a lot more in foreign rights sales and franchising than they spend on making it. They have a few shows- Top Gear, Strictly, Doctor Who - that are big moneymakers for them and I'd be surprised if GBBO wasn't fast becoming one of them.

It really depends on how much they were asking.

The point is that I'm only able to watch the BBC :P 

Besides, the BBC could have payed more if those Tory bastards hadn't cut its funding so badly. And those greedy producers can still go fuck themselves. 

Some numbers here. Looks like the BBC offered £15m and Love Productions wanted £25m, so quite a big gap. I don't know what the going rate is for TV shows these days, but presumably it would be possible to work out how this compares to other similar shows to come up with an idea of who had unreasonable expectations.

ST

I don't watch the show but thought I'd throw in regarding how the BBC is in a crap position regarding holding onto shows and talent. I guess this is slightly different in that it wasn't an in-house production.

It sucks for the BBC at the moment as they were hated when the 2008 economic crash occurred as they were suddenly the richest broadcaster in the UK because the amount of money they got was guaranteed while channels who make money from ads slumped. Now things have picked up, I'm sure they are at best on level pegging but with the changes are getting less than they used to.

Not sure how wise a move it is for the makers of the show though. Losing the presenters and going to a channel with ads could cause a loss of viewers (it's weird how some people won't watch channel 4). Then there's the utterly useless C4 catch up player where I usually just don't bother if I miss the live broadcast. This is never an issue with BBC iplayer.

Then there's the fact that reality shows tend to have a shelf-life. An "at work" assessment suggests enthusiasm peaked last year so it's maybe a wise move on the BBC's part and a wise move on the show owner's part. The loser may be Channel 4 making the outrageous bid. Guess it will be on Channel 5 in a few years time :P

3 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Yep, pretty sure the big losers are going to be channel 4. I guess this is just a sky-owned production company screwing the BBC out of a show and getting a chunk of cash in the meantime.

Hadn't thought of it that way. Spending 25 million in order to screw the BBC out of more and not really caring whether they'd turn a profit directly from the show. I guess they can make that back from ads if it remains popular but it depends on how familiar the concept will remain if presenters continue to bail. I suspect Mel and Sue have an existing contract with the BBC for other shows, etc so it's an easier decision for them. The "bakers" might not have as many opportunities outside presenting that type of show and may be hoping Channel 4 "sweeten" the deal by offerring them moire money to stay with the show.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

They've lost two of the presenters. If the other two go, then Channel 4 has just spent £75 million on a big tent :D

You can't have your cake and eat it :P

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

They've lost two of the presenters. If the other two go, then Channel 4 has just spent £75 million on a big tent :D

Will be hard to replace Mel and Sue but I can sort of imagine the show without them. No Paul and Mary though and I can't see it working. 

I'll miss Mel and Sue though :( 

Incredulity from the TV production people interviewed on the BBC today. They find it beyond ludicrous that Channel 4 didn't attach all four of the presenters to the format, as that's the only way the deal would be worth the money.

Even better: Channel 4 can't show their first series proper until 2018 due to a two-year exclusion clause in the previous deal with the BBC, and all the BBC would have to do to get around it is to simply drop the tent and make the format identical to MasterChef (which the BBC has owned since forever) and they'd be absolutely good to go.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Incredulity from the TV production people interviewed on the BBC today. They find it beyond ludicrous that Channel 4 didn't attach all four of the presenters to the format, as that's the only way the deal would be worth the money.

Even better: Channel 4 can't show their first series proper until 2018 due to a two-year exclusion clause in the previous deal with the BBC, and all the BBC would have to do to get around it is to simply drop the tent and make the format identical to MasterChef (which the BBC has owned since forever) and they'd be absolutely good to go.

I guess it will be out in January - in a heated tent.

Looks like the BBC have been clever in the sense they had safety clauses to make the show toxic if it went to another channel (which is becoming apparent when you see what Clarkson can't do with his amazon Top Gear car show). It sounds even more like this was just bought so the BBC had one less hit if the buyers didn't even bother ensuring the presenters came with the concept.

That or channel 4 re just a bit sloppy with this sort of thing. I'm still wondering why they bothered with F1 when within a few years they won't even be able to show full races - something I'm sure was part of the BBC's decision to drop it.