Jump to content
Veltigar

The Great British Bake Off 2016

Recommended Posts

This is the first and only Bake-Off I watched so I can't compare her reaction to Nadiya's but Candace certainly didn't read fake to me. It wasn't just the speech, she looked like she nearly fainted when they read out her name.


But then I think a lot of people have been unfairly labelling her a poser and fake from the start.

Either way, she clearly deserved it. I wasn't hugely fond of the final challenge, to be honest- there was too much going on to really show off on any one thing- but it certainly tested their skills and she nailed it.

Also: it turns out that most of the bakers went round to Selassi's house to watch the final. I like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Val going on a "baking" trip to Aiya Napa has produced much hilarity :lol: 

 

I also thought her reaction was entirely genuine and was consistent with her attitude throughout the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was cheering on for the person who won,right from the start ,so i'm happy! :D

 

this tweet from Scott though..hahaha :D

 

 

 

 

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, BBC and Mary Barry are doing their own series: http://variety.com/2016/tv/global/great-british-bake-off-mary-berry-great-houses-1201909704/

I am on Season 6... It is amazing. The best so far... These people can do crazy things. Nadiya, Ian, Paul, Tamal, Flora, each of them has managed to do absolutely amazing things across these 7 episodes of Season 6 I have watched. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but it's not really a baking show though.

We watched the Class of 2015 special last night. It has some hilarious moments. It's pretty nostalgic to revisit what happened last year but also to know that it's over now. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yes, but it's not really a baking show though.

I would find it rather tasteless for them to try and compete with TBBO. Let them see how format will bode and then in several years, they can do something new. 

23 minutes ago, Isis said:

We watched the Class of 2015 special last night. It has some hilarious moments. It's pretty nostalgic to revisit what happened last year but also to know that it's over now. :(

I am on Series 6 finals. Yeah, they had their moments. My favorites... With Series 3 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Risto said:

I would find it rather tasteless for them to try and compete with TBBO. Let them see how format will bode and then in several years, they can do something new.



I'd be really surprised if they didn't try something to directly compete with Bakeoff. This Mary Berry show, a continuation of soething she's already done, really has no bearing on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27-10-2016 at 8:10 PM, polishgenius said:

 

  Hide contents

Also: it turns out that most of the bakers went round to Selassi's house to watch the final. I like that.

 

Ah, what a legend. He's the people's champ in my eyes :D 

On 28-10-2016 at 8:13 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I was cheering on for the person who won,right from the start ,so i'm happy! :D

 

this tweet from Scott though..hahaha :D

 

 

 

 

That does sound more appealing than the Great Houses idea :P

On 27-10-2016 at 11:26 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Val going on a "baking" trip to Aiya Napa has produced much hilarity :lol: 

I had to look that up and it's indeed very funny :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the BBC have a replacement show in place: The Big Family Cooking Challenge (working title). The show, which is already in pre-production, is due to air in summer 2017.

Quote
BBC Two has commissioned Voltage TV to cook up a major new competitive food show.

The 12x60 minute series, The Big Family Cooking Challenge (working title) will bring cooking back into the home, as family teams of passionate amateurs battle it out for the chance to be crowned the nation’s best home cooks.

The series will pit inter-generational teams of home cooks against each other in a brand new format celebrating ordinary dishes made extraordinary. Across the series, the judges will visit family homes and whittle down the teams of cooks through a series of challenges based on the realities of everyday meals.

The Big Family Cooking Challenge, which is already in pre-production, is due to air in summer 2017.

Donna Clark says: “I’m thrilled to be taking food competitions in a different direction. A passion for food starts in the family kitchen and this format will take us into homes up and down the country where we’ll meet Britain’s most passionate and exciting families of cooks.”

Sanjay Singhal says: “Our ambition is to create a feel good show full of character and warmth with authentic home cooking at its heart.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, polishgenius said:



I'd be really surprised if they didn't try something to directly compete with Bakeoff. This Mary Berry show, a continuation of soething she's already done, really has no bearing on that.

Well, I think that immediate and rushed decision to have something to compete with TGBBO would actually backfire. It would be smarter to see how audience will react to these drastic changes (not well, I suppose) and then swoop in with the alternative that is in tune what they really liked about the first 7 seasons of TGBBO.

Also, finished Season 6... Nadiya won but I feel that each of them would have been a worthy winner. But, she is amazing. And in this sad world we live nowadays, we need women like her. It was truly amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Looks like the BBC have a replacement show in place: The Big Family Cooking Challenge (working title). The show, which is already in pre-production, is due to air in summer 2017.

 

Hmmm, i'm sure i have seen something similar to this before but cant for the life of me think what it was called. I know i watched it on GoodFood, which usualky means it was on BBC at some stage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Us and in Australia there was/is a show with four competing couples who each take a turn hosting a party for the others as well as a set of judges.  'Come Dine with Me" maybe?  I didn't like it because the format let the other couples just get nasty to drag down the competition more than naught it seemed.

I keep hearing horrible things about the possible structure of the channel 4 version including a two night split episode format with the elimination from the tent not happening until the second night.  Also guest celebrity judges each week is something that has been floated either to the sponsors or by the sponsors.  Both ideas sound horrible.

I think if BBC takes the core elements of the GGBO they can easily do their own version with Mel Sue and Mary with an addition that stands more likely to succeed than the channel 4 effort.  Whether they can keep from trying to do it better the second time around is the key issue to me.  Part of me thinks BBC should wait to see how the other turns out.  But Mary is not getting any younger and they have seven seasons to look back on and figure out the key ingredients and the proper mix.

I was definitely happy with the winner of this season though I was hoping a certain charming laid back contestant would make it past the semi-finals and even perhaps take it.  Would that have been the first a winner would not have won star baker had that contestant been able to stay it through to the end? 

A lot of fellow co-watchers said that this season's lot were not as good as last season's.  I tend to disagree because I think this season saw some odd and even silly themes that didn't seem to have the progressive growth in skills and difficultly.  And i thought the show stopper in the finals proved how skilled the final three were.  All had some really strong components though i do think the winner had an distinct edge. 

Spoiler

I do wonder if Jane had managed her collar and gotten the right bake on her sausage rolls if she would have won.  She seemed to have a strong second place what with her crown in the signature and a rather good overall showing with the showstopper.  Candice was just that much better.

 

Also I just saw Extra Slice and found it funny beyond words to see the complete absence of Paul or mention to why he wasn't there as if he no longer existed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2016 at 0:35 PM, Veltigar said:

 

 

Holy Ghost of Unsent Replies, Batman! Please ignore the empty un-deletable quote box.

So has anyone else seen the "Master Class" episodes? Watching PBS in America, my DVR recorded "remix" episodes of the previous season (with Nadiya) where Paul and Mary bake the things they'd had the contestants bake. They splice in footage of the original challenge and then they show the masters work.

The second one was pretty riveting. Paul made baguettes and Mary replicated that (sorry I don't remember the name) hellishly complicated dessert with the French and Swiss meringues filled with fruit and cream and decorated with fondant violets. What a contrast to see them make one simple, perfect thing that's trickier than expected, and then put together something so complicated and daunting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, C Rutherford said:

In the Us and in Australia there was/is a show with four competing couples who each take a turn hosting a party for the others as well as a set of judges.  'Come Dine with Me" maybe?  I didn't like it because the format let the other couples just get nasty to drag down the competition more than naught it seemed.

I keep hearing horrible things about the possible structure of the channel 4 version including a two night split episode format with the elimination from the tent not happening until the second night.  Also guest celebrity judges each week is something that has been floated either to the sponsors or by the sponsors.  Both ideas sound horrible.

I think if BBC takes the core elements of the GGBO they can easily do their own version with Mel Sue and Mary with an addition that stands more likely to succeed than the channel 4 effort.  Whether they can keep from trying to do it better the second time around is the key issue to me.  Part of me thinks BBC should wait to see how the other turns out.  But Mary is not getting any younger and they have seven seasons to look back on and figure out the key ingredients and the proper mix.

I was definitely happy with the winner of this season though I was hoping a certain charming laid back contestant would make it past the semi-finals and even perhaps take it.  Would that have been the first a winner would not have won star baker had that contestant been able to stay it through to the end? 

A lot of fellow co-watchers said that this season's lot were not as good as last season's.  I tend to disagree because I think this season saw some odd and even silly themes that didn't seem to have the progressive growth in skills and difficultly.  And i thought the show stopper in the finals proved how skilled the final three were.  All had some really strong components though i do think the winner had an distinct edge. 

  Reveal hidden contents

I do wonder if Jane had managed her collar and gotten the right bake on her sausage rolls if she would have won.  She seemed to have a strong second place what with her crown in the signature and a rather good overall showing with the showstopper.  Candice was just that much better.

 

Also I just saw Extra Slice and found it funny beyond words to see the complete absence of Paul or mention to why he wasn't there as if he no longer existed.

 

Yes Come Dine with Me already exists (funnily enough it's a Channel 4 program). The show I was thinking something else but I can't find it now. The UK version of Come Dine doesn't have non-contestant judges though 

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Holy Ghost of Unsent Replies, Batman! Please ignore the empty un-deletable quote box.

So has anyone else seen the "Master Class" episodes? Watching PBS in America, my DVR recorded "remix" episodes of the previous season (with Nadiya) where Paul and Mary bake the things they'd had the contestants bake. They splice in footage of the original challenge and then they show the masters work.

The second one was pretty riveting. Paul made baguettes and Mary replicated that (sorry I don't remember the name) hellishly complicated dessert with the French and Swiss meringues filled with fruit and cream and decorated with fondant violets. What a contrast to see them make one simple, perfect thing that's trickier than expected, and then put together something so complicated and daunting.

Yes, I really love the Masterclass episodes, I love watching Paul and Mary work. They actually had a really good dynamic so it's sad they will no longer grace our screens together. 

Incidentally, the Masterclass this year is not a masterclass as such but a sort of Christmas special. I imagine it will be similar to the masterclasss but with Mel and Sue present and I think I read somewhere that there may be some previous contestants on too. Looking forward to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you can see what Mary, Sue and Mel have been doing since quitting British Bake Off

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More Mary Berry! - The Great American Baking Show premiere recap: Season 2

Quote

Tis holiday season in the Great American Baking tent! From cakes and cookies to bread and pastry, 10 new contestants are ready to battle it out with fondant and flour to be crowned Star Baker. The season 2 premiere sees the bakers take on cake, with the second hour all about the cookies. Check out the highlights of the first two episodes below, with some added wisdom from judge Mary Berry — quite the cherry on top, we’re sure you’ll agree.

 

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More news,this just in: The Great Christmas Bake Off just revealed which bakers are coming back

Quote

We thought we couldn't be more excited about Christmas Day - turkey! presents! booze! - and then we found out about The Great Christmas Bake Off.

Bake Off might be heading to Channel 4 soon, but not before Paul Hollywood, Mary Berry and Mel & Sue hit our screens together for one last time for a celebration of all things Christmas.

The two episodes - which will air on Christmas Day and Boxing Day - will each feature four returning contestants, and now we know who they are.

 

Even more news :D : The BBC's new baking show could reunite Nadiya, Mary Berry and Mel & Sue

 

Edited by AncalagonTheBlack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mary-Anne, yes! And Janet! I loved them both :love: Nadiya of course is just a treasure and should rightly be worshipped by all.

I didn't realise Mary Berry judged the U.S version. How does it hold up? Not sure how I feel about it...Mary is ours America, you can't have her!

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, something good to watch on Christmas Day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×