GRRM's Subverted Fairy Tales

Fire Eater

On 9/4/2016 at 6:00 PM, Seams said:

What about a nursery rhyme? The fate of Humpty Dumpty leads me to fear for fAegon. I believe he really is Rhaegar's Aegon - on my most recent re-read, I noticed that we are introduced to him while he wears a floppy straw hat and that is a detail that seems too perfect to be anything but a stamp of authenticity.

Like his namesake, Aegon would be called Egg by those who are close to him.

We are constantly being told that the baby who was thought to be Elia Martell's infant had his head or brains dashed against a wall.

So I fear that Aegon will make his way to the north, sit on the Wall, and have a great fall from which he will not recover, in spite of the best efforts of all the king's horses and all the king's men.

On the other hand, if you are right about GRRM subverting tropes, maybe Aegon will survive in some way shape or form.

Actually I'd like to bring in the Russian fairy tales in (there is a variation in Grimm fairy tales too). The most common fairy tail there is about 2-3 brother/princes being ordered by their father to claim a certain princess and they will inherit the kingdom. older brothers camp out and get drunk, while younger brother does a favor to some fairy creature who promises to help him out. When he goes for the princess, her father orders him to complete certain tasks which he completes with that indebted fairy creature's help. He gets the princess and the items he got as her dowry. As he goes back home he stops for a night, when his brother(s) fall on him, kill him and take the princess and her dowry and claim the rewards and the throne for their own. FAiry creature revives younger brother who comes back to claim his bride and throne. Older brother(s)s are punished by death.

Isn't it the same with Aegon being the usurper who steals hero's reward?

There is a variety of fairy tales where a girl marries a king and has a child but while he is off fighting, an evil imposter (stepsister, witch etc) lures her to a river/lake and pushes her into the water, to take over her place at the palace. She doesn't care for the baby, though, so the mother emerges from the water every night to take care of the child.

Cat rose from the water as Mother Merciless and is looking for her children.

Archived