What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I like fontina and gruyère  with lobster Mac or a lobster grilled cheese.  A friend made some a couple years ago that was more like a lobster Mac and cheese pie, the flakycrust added a pretty special element.  He also melted the cheese down in a lobster bisque.  Never had 'extra' lobster bisque lying around myself.

I've made  it  a few times without the crust (lazy Larry) but usually add some lump crab meat.  I use fontina, cream, garlic and onion, season with a little tarragon and thyme.  chuck in what ever other cheese bits are lying around (usually jack or mild cheddar).  

Think I used cavatapi last time.  

Nice, thanks! Yeah, I think Gruyere will play a part. I usually liked a smoked Gouda, but think it might be too distracting this case

and cavatapi is the only way to go

5 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

DO NO OVERCOOK IT, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!

personally i am allergic to lobster, but i know fucked up lobster vs. nonfucked up lobster. 

here is what i would do... make a nice bechamel (roux, milk), add the cheeses of your choice. make sure not to fuck it up. grainy cheese sauce is something i would slap you for. cook your pasta in salted water until tender, 8 minutes will do.

your bugs should be dispatched viciously. sorry. but there is no other way. tear off their fucking tails and their claws. sure, they are live. yes, you are an asshole. do it anyway. so, now that you have those still twitching pieces they need cooked. in rapidly boiling water give the tails about three minutes, and the claws about two minutes. chill them in ice water and pull the meats from their shells.

mix your mac and cheese, add your pieces of lobster (chopped or as is). let the lobster finish in the mac and cheese and eat.

Thanks! Solid advice. I usually dispatch the fuckers with a sharp knife through the brain anyway, so minimal guilt in breaking em up for parts, pre-hot tub

slapping duty has been delegated to spouse; may happen regardless of grainy cheese

5 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

fucking gross, dude. you just dismembered a couple animals and ate them.

Wouldn't eat em if I wasn't willing do the job myself

On 22/09/2016 at 6:45 AM, Isis said:

Thank you, kair. I'm a lover of cauliflower but my husband has an irrational fear of it. I need to remedy this.

Was he raised in a house where the only option when it came to cauliflower was to have it boiled to the point of insanity?  If so i support him. However, it can be delicious as shit if done the right way, especially in curry as it is becomes a vessel for carrying all of the flavours. 

Tonight i'm eating chilli from the freezer, it is hot as fuck containing carolina reaper, moruga scorpion and ghost chillies.  Yet still my asbestos mouthed wife will complain that it isn't hot enough.  

Why does chilli from the freezer always taste better?

Lobster, I don't get the fuss, deeply meh when you look at taste v cost.  I'dd far rather have a crab claw. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

What is for dinner????

An unexpected FREE meal at Jose Andrés' minibar!

A pal is a sommelier there and invited me to be one of the 12 lucky diners for tonight.

Sadly, my preferred dining companion is not feeling 100% today. 

Sorry about that. I'm drinking plenty of water and with a little rest, should be ship shape in a day or two. Next time!

We were recently gifted a multicooker, which is like a slow cooker but with somewhat more functionality, like settings for sauté, bake, soup/stew, boil, etc. Mostly I am interested in the slow cooking portion of the program, although it will also be nice to be able to do some other stuff in there and free up the oven or a stove burner. I have literally zero experience using a slow cooker and am interested in some general guidelines. I understand you put a bunch of food, some spices, and some liquid and then go away for 4 to 8 hours, but that's about all I know.

I know many people use a slow cooker so they can set it up in the morning, go to work, and come home as it's finishing up. Do I need to be concerned at all about fire hazards from an unattended cooker?

One other concern I would be interested in addressing is that the capacity is 4.5 liters (4.7something quarts). I don't think I could fit an entire pork shoulder in there. I'm not sure if I could fit a whole chicken. Is this a reasonable size device to have or am I starting out behind the 8 ball?

22 minutes ago, Inigima said:

We were recently gifted a multicooker, which is like a slow cooker but with somewhat more functionality, like settings for sauté, bake, soup/stew, boil, etc. Mostly I am interested in the slow cooking portion of the program, although it will also be nice to be able to do some other stuff in there and free up the oven or a stove burner. I have literally zero experience using a slow cooker and am interested in some general guidelines. I understand you put a bunch of food, some spices, and some liquid and then go away for 4 to 8 hours, but that's about all I know.

I know many people use a slow cooker so they can set it up in the morning, go to work, and come home as it's finishing up. Do I need to be concerned at all about fire hazards from an unattended cooker?

One other concern I would be interested in addressing is that the capacity is 4.5 liters (4.7something quarts). I don't think I could fit an entire pork shoulder in there. I'm not sure if I could fit a whole chicken. Is this a reasonable size device to have or am I starting out behind the 8 ball?

Here's some slow cooking tips:

Many recipes for sauces and dips call for cooking on the slow cooker’s HIGH setting or for only 1-2 hours. Long cooking times of 6-7+ hours or using the LOW setting is best for roasts and large or tough cuts of meat, like a pulled pork shoulder. The majority of slow cooker-friendly recipes can be adapted to cook somewhere in the middle; stews and soups fall into this category.

You can convert your favorite recipes to slow cooker recipes if you learn these important differences first:

Liquids do not evaporate in a slow cooker. Unless you are cooking rice, pasta, or beans, reduce the amount of liquid to about half the amount called for in your recipe.

Fresh vegetables produce the most desirable results. Potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic should be washed and cut in uniform pieces, then placed in the bottom of the crock. Canned and frozen vegetables take less time to cook and can result in overcooked dishes.

Ground beef should be browned and drained before slow cooking to remove grease.

Tender foods such as pasta, squash, asparagus or peas should be added in the last hour of cooking.

Seafood such as shrimp, scallops and fish should be added in the last 15-30 minutes of cooking.

Dairy products such as cheese, milk and sour cream should be added at the end of cooking.

https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/slow-cookers-101-how-a-slow-cooker-works.html

As for what fits into it, you may need to consider smaller portions of meat is all. Probably a 3lb piece of pork, or a smaller 3-4lb chicken. So you might trade lots of leftovers/freezer options for convenience. While there's no worry about a fire hazard, any more than any other appliance plugged in all day with power to it, you might want to start out cooking something overnight to get a feel for how the whole thing works. The internet has plenty of recipes for a crock pot your size. I went with a larger one once upon a time, and it was often a struggle to fill it (pre MC) with enough stuff because I was cooking for just myself. 

Lunch today at Cockscomb.  Had to see if this was worth the hype.

https://www.impossiblefoods.com/

It was.  It is so meat-like, many vegans may be put off.  My mother wouldn't touch it; not because it was vegan, but because it was rare and tasted, smelled and had the texture of a rare hamburger.

This may be the future of humanity here. 

I had a celeriac cake for lunch at St John yesterday. I was initially delighted by the size of it when it arrived (it was a big slice, at least four inches high, of a bigger round cake) but about halfway though it just became really samey and overwhelming. It was a weird experience. 

13 hours ago, Isis said:

I had a celeriac cake for lunch at St John yesterday. I was initially delighted by the size of it when it arrived (it was a big slice, at least four inches high, of a bigger round cake) but about halfway though it just became really samey and overwhelming. It was a weird experience. 

I love celery root so much!!!! Sadly it is an ingredient that if not controlled and given respect for its simple yet pronounced flavor can just totally go off the rails.  

In Montreal I was served a 'steak' of it roasted with a miso emulsion and bonito flakes. It might have been one of the most beautiful things i ate in a long time. 

On 10/5/2016 at 6:02 PM, MercurialCannibal said:

What is for dinner????

An unexpected FREE meal at Jose Andrés' minibar!

A pal is a sommelier there and invited me to be one of the 12 lucky diners for tonight.

Sadly, my preferred dining companion is not feeling 100% today. 

Two Michelin Stars! Last time I was in DC we ate at Jaleo & Zaytinya, both Bib Gourmands.

I had an amazing weekend of food, Saturday night i went to Heston's pub, where i had bagna cauda for the first time, which is f'ing amazing. Though looking at recipes it should have cost less than it did, raw veg with a sauce made of only butter, oil, garlic and anchovies should be practically free.  Today i had a Sunday roast at a Michelin starred pub, holy shit those potatoes were amazing. 

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I had an amazing weekend of food, Saturday night i went to Heston's pub, where i had bagna cauda for the first time, which is f'ing amazing. Though looking at recipes it should have cost less than it did, raw veg with a sauce made of only butter, oil, garlic and anchovies should be practically free.  Today i had a Sunday roast at a Michelin starred pub, holy shit those potatoes were amazing. 

It is just not the cost of ingredients.  We chefs need paid, bro!

Archived