What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

Been on a cooking spree lately.  Made a couple batches of vegetarian wild rice soup and used shredded carrots, parsnips, and squash for the 'meat' of it.  It was absolutely delicious and we've gone through both batches of leftovers.

A few days ago I made myself an absolutely perfect medium rare steak, pan fried in butter, garlic, and rosemary; with a side of fried eggs and tater tots.

• 3 weeks later...

Please advise--what is this I have made?

I am a poor cook but once in a while I will get a package of chicken drumsticks and slow cook them in the oven for that 'fall off the bone' goodness.

Other times I will simmer the carcass from a store rotisserie chicken to make broth which I freeze into cubes and use for various other recipes.

Recently I did the drumstick thing and thought, 'what's up with all that liquid that comes off the drumsticks?  can it be used as broth?' usually I just pour it out but this time I put it in a container and just shoved it in the fridge.

Wanting some broth, I fetched the container and found that it was some kind of chicken jelly.

What do I do with it?

33 minutes ago, litechick said:

Please advise--what is this I have made?

I am a poor cook but once in a while I will get a package of chicken drumsticks and slow cook them in the oven for that 'fall off the bone' goodness.

Other times I will simmer the carcass from a store rotisserie chicken to make broth which I freeze into cubes and use for various other recipes.

Recently I did the drumstick thing and thought, 'what's up with all that liquid that comes off the drumsticks?  can it be used as broth?' usually I just pour it out but this time I put it in a container and just shoved it in the fridge.

Wanting some broth, I fetched the container and found that it was some kind of chicken jelly.

What do I do with it?

yes. you have made broth. excellent work!

the jelly texture is a good sign. the means you have extracted good amounts is collegen from the bones. 

now use that for soup,  risotto,  to cook even more chicken,  cook rice,  make a sauce, etc. 

22 minutes ago, litechick said:

Wonderful!  Thank you.

So if a recipe calls for 1 cup of broth, how much jelly is that?  Do I need to liquefy it somehow?

are you trolling me? of course you need to melt it. when in doubt the recipe calls for liquid in liquid form. 

Do not underestimate my ignorance. 

Having never melted Jello, I did not know if that was a thing you could do (much less something you could do with a meat jello.)

For all I knew, this was some kind of Super Jelly and you only needed 2 tablespoons to a cup of water to create normal broth or something.  (Perhaps I imagined a jiggly bouillon cube.)

19 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

yes. you have made broth. excellent work!

the jelly texture is a good sign. the means you have extracted good amounts is collegen from the bones. 

now use that for soup,  risotto,  to cook even more chicken,  cook rice,  make a sauce, etc. 

Can you have too much of a jelly texture, or is it a case of the firmer the set the better?  I tend to simmer for around 2 hours but occasionally less, occasionally more depending on what else i'm doing. 

I made fried rice for the first time ever today to clean out the fridge.  Damn, why have I never made this before it came out great.  

Nothing crazy, some peppers, carrots, ginger and garlic, some fish sauce and Bragg's, then the rice and a couple scrambled eggs.    

Definitely doing this again soon.

Apparently tonight was oh crap haven't shopped so lets clean out the cupboard and freezer. There were chicken strips, spicy and honey bbq, green beans, and some pasta dish with peppers and a cream sauce, oh and a few hard boiled eggs my daughter asked for!

Roasted pepper and goats cheese salad with balsamic dressing.

today we’re having soup - broccoli and Stilton to be specific. I don’t like the taste of Stilton on its own but in soup I find in lends a nice kick and creaminess. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived