What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

4 minutes ago, Lykos said:

On our side of the pond the closest thing to ramps is probably Bärlauch (bear leeks) - ramsons.

They have become very popular in the past decades, so that you'll find them a lot in supermarkets in germany though they're usually cultivated and lack the flavor of the wild variety. I just use chives instead (for I'm stingy and lazy).

Yeah, just googled them and those look almost exactly like our wild ramps.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:46 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

nice!!!

We splurged and got a dry-aged ribeye, some ramps, and some asparagus. Idea is to cook the steak (med rare, ofc) and then dress with ramps butter. Extra ramps will be sautéd with the asparagus in the pan juices. We've made Sunday evening to be our Fancy Dinner evening for the week and I quite like the ritual. 

i so approve. remind me to bring you ramp butter next month. 

today i made 7kg of it! blanch and puree the green,  saute the whites and paddle into the butter. 

i have some pickled ramps too. and should have ramp kimchi if i get my shit together this week 

Made a vegetarian carbonara last night that was lights out.  Used nutritional yeast w/ the eggs instead of parmesan, and fried up some sliced almonds in smoked paprika, soy sauce, ancho chili powder, maple syrup, and red pepper flakes for the 'bacon'.  Let that marinade for ~10 minutes, fried it in a dash of olive oil over med low heat, added 4 cloves of minced garlic for a minute, tossed my noodles in that mixture until covered, then added the egg/nutritional yeast mixture after turning off the gas and mixed it like crazy so it didn't turn into scrambled eggs.  Garnished w/ a bit of parmesan and parsley.  Probably the healthiest pasta dish I've ever made and incredibly satisfying.

Last night was home made duck burgers, sweet corn fritters and an avocado and mango salsa.

tonight, I think we shall just go to our neighborhood Japanese. The toddler loves ramen and I’m too pregnant to cook.

WHen are quesadillas not great? Easily one of my favourite dishes (and not exactly tricky really).

Just about to start some pea and mint soup for lunch using ingredients from my Uncle’s garden since he went all green fingered after retirement but doesn’t enjoy cooking

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Made this last night -- delicious and easy. I used bone-in thighs instead of breaking down the chicken and also left marinading overnight (ended up going out for dinner two nights ago). http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/recipes/lemon-chicken-with-green-harissa-and-roast-eggplant-puree I have the book (it's great!), but this was the only place I could find the recipe online.

Will plan to use the green harissa with pan-seared hake -- fresh from the public market -- with some leeks.

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

It's pathetic how often these days for me that it's a variation of chicken sausages, pre-cooked, but warmed up on the stove, and some green vegetable like broccoli steamed or asparagus or zucchini squash sauteed, and that's that.  This is seriously at least four nights a week for me.  

Is this due to your fitness regime or something? I have a lot of admiration for anyone who can do the whole X grams of protein, y grams of carbs or whatever for every meal. 

I recently rediscovered how much I love broccoli as it happens. We have a huge amount to use up right now. So last night I made cod with broccoli and green beans tossed in a lemon and parsley dressing. Tonight I'm making broccoli and stilton soup 

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

I recently rediscovered how much I love broccoli as it happens. We have a huge amount to use up right now. So last night I made cod with broccoli and green beans tossed in a lemon and parsley dressing. Tonight I'm making broccoli and stilton soup 

Broccoli with soy sauce. :wub:

Archived