What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

I'm eating a lot of fish, especially basa, i find it very good value, easy to cook and it takes on other flavours well.

When roasting chicken, how can you get the skin extra cripsy without leaving the meat dry?  As soon as you baste, the skin is limp and unappealing. it seems an unfair compromise.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm eating a lot of fish, especially basa, i find it very good value, easy to cook and it takes on other flavours well.

When roasting chicken, how can you get the skin extra cripsy without leaving the meat dry?  As soon as you baste, the skin is limp and unappealing. it seems an unfair compromise.

brine your chicken.  that is a big help. 1 gallon of water,  1 cup kosher salt,  1/4 cup honey or brown sugar,  aromatics of peppercorns,  thyme sprigs,  sliced lemon brought to a boil and chilled. brine bird for 8 to 12 hours.  dry off before roasting  

but also it helps to roast on a higher temp.  roast at 200c. 

also rub the bird with olive oil or butter before roasting. that will help promote a crispy skin and browning. 

4 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

brine your chicken.  that is a big help. 1 gallon of water,  1 cup kosher salt,  1/4 cup honey or brown sugar,  aromatics of peppercorns,  thyme sprigs,  sliced lemon brought to a boil and chilled. brine bird for 8 to 12 hours.  dry off before roasting  

also rub the bird with olive oil or butter before roasting. that will help promote a crispy skin and browning. 

If I don't have access to kosher, sea or rock salt?

28 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

go to store. I am sure they have kosher salt. it's the standard you should be doing all your cooking with. 

don't just fucking sit there.  get to the store.

You can only buy it online here as far as I can tell. And reviews suggest it's no better than maldon sea salt flavour wise. I can't buy another different type of salt just for brining chicken. I already have rock, table, sea and Himalayan. 

I'll try maldon sea salt and see how I go. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You can only buy it online here as far as I can tell. And reviews suggest it's no better than maldon sea salt flavour wise. I can't buy another different type of salt just for brining chicken. I already have rock, table, sea and Himalayan. 

I'll try maldon sea salt and see how I go. 

burn the table salt. it's trash 

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Basa is lovely, and yes, very good value. I’m quite partial to smoked basa too. I eat a lot of fish as well. Lately I have been running out of ideas of what to do with it though. I’m quite happy just enjoying the flavour of the fish without adding sauces or anything but sometimes I want to try something more inventive

50 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't use it, it's just 'there'. 

Back to 'what's for dinner', does anybody cook 'properly' when it just them eating? Wife is out and I can't be fucked messing up the kitchen for  meal for one. 

All of the time at uni, though it was never what anyone would call fancy. Now if I’m alone I tend to either make something which will freeze or can be use different next day, or defrost a portion of whatever I made last time I was alone. The usual fare - lasagne, chilli, curry etc.

23 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

What the heck is basa when its at home?

22 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Brining is everything.

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If I don't have access to kosher, sea or rock salt?

How would you NOT have access to sea salt though? People cooking in LA manage to get hold of Maldon sea salt so I'm sure you can pop into Waitrose and get some. :)

16 hours ago, MercurialCannibal said:

burn the table salt. it's trash 

So, can I use it when I'm baking brownies or nah? Was about to say the only thing I use table salt for is baking but then I remembered I also use it for cooking pasta too. I think that's a waste of sea salt. Am I the baddie?

2 minutes ago, Isis said:

What the heck is basa when its at home?

How would you NOT have access to sea salt though? People cooking in LA manage to get hold of Maldon sea salt so I'm sure you can pop into Waitrose and get some. :)

best way i can describe it is a cross between Cod and Sea Bass, but is cheaper than both.

Poor grammar, if i don't have access to kosher, should i use seasalt or rocksalt as an alternative?

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

best way i can describe it is a cross between Cod and Sea Bass, but is cheaper than both.

Poor grammar, if i don't have access to kosher, should i use seasalt or rocksalt as an alternative?

Literally never heard of it.

Yes. I reckon that's fine.

I got to spend a week in San Fran and Sonoma, and while there was tons of great food (and I tried In and Out for the first time), one dish stands out among the crowd. I had arguably the best burger I've ever had. The bun was rubbed with truffle oil, grilled on a stove top and had cheese melted onto it. The patty was perfectly cooked. They used great bacon and a french brie cheese. The onions were caramelized. Hell, even the lettuce seemed better than normal. And I have no idea how they made the house sauce, but it tasted like a combination of BBQ sauce and citrusy fruit. I got to wash it all down with a nice red wine followed by two craft IPAs. They tasted like Stella with squeezed apricots in it. So yummy! 

Archived