What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

49 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

that sounds quality!

I'll probably be cooking pissed so maybe not. It's all in the execution, as you'd know better than most.

Separate topic. If someone is coming to your house for a dinner party. How much weight do you have to give to people's tastes (not dietary requirements). Wife's friend came round last week and pre presented a big list of things she likes/dislikes? 

On 1/31/2019 at 10:25 PM, john said:

Kosher salt is called kitchen salt in the UK I think.  In my house we use pink rock salt in a clear grinder on the “table.”  Because it’s pretty.

Are you importing your pink salt from the Himalayas?

Why yes, now that I check the packet, it is from the Himalayas, containing many beneficial minerals apparently.  Can put it in the bath as well according to google.

Personally I find it a little harsh when I season with it (probably more the bigger chunks than the taste) but I don’t use it much anyway. It really is there mostly to look cool.

• 2 weeks later...

A few times lately I have been to Turkish restaurants and had lamb ribs, which are fucking amazing. Sourcing them to cook at home though is proving very difficult. I think they would be great in all sorts of cuisines e.g. jerk, morrocan spice, tikka marinade.  It's very frustrating because when you can find them they are cheap as shit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered Thai food from a restaurant called "A la carte Thai" and got a Panang Curry. When it arrived sans rice I was befuddled, until I realized the name of the restaurant was literal...the more you know I guess.

• 1 month later...

I have some fresh caught trout to cook and i’m debating what to do with it. I was thinking roasting it on a bed of fennel and some other veg i have lying around and just keeping the seasoning plain, the better to enjoy the fresh fish.

otherwise its trout parcels with a thai-inspired stuffing

35 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have a half leg of lamb (1KG), I was going to roast it normally, but now I want to go to the pub for a few hours while its cooking, can I slow roast a lamb leg joint that small? 

Done a quick google and Sainsburys have a recipe which uses a 1.5kg leg of lamb

https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/main-courses/slow-roasted-leg-of-lamb 

so i presume that the answer is yes you should be able to

Archived