What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

Pistachio ice cream is something I've seen referred to a few times on US tv shows/films etc but it's not a flavour I can ever remember seeing in the UK. I saw some in a shop today, I like pistachios and I like ice cream so why not give it a try? It turns out I don't particularly like pistachio ice cream.

Just been looking at some recipes online for inspiration, but do all Americans but so much crap into their mashed potatoes? 

Edit: to contribute something, lemon and garlic prawns with cauliflower rice was my meal today

We made Chrissy Teigen's banh mi recipe tonight. Marinated pork tenderloin on a roll with sriracha and a quick pickled slaw of shredded onion, carrot, and cucumber. I'm not super big on pickled anything, but this was very tasty. My wife made the brine and used szechuan peppercorns because she couldn't find the black peppercorns, so... extra tingly I guess?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Just been looking at some recipes online for inspiration, but do all Americans but so much crap into their mashed potatoes? 

No!  I do like to salt the water, though, and add some mashed up garlic to boil with the potatoes.  It flavors them simply and beautifully.

5 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

No!  I do like to salt the water, though, and add some mashed up garlic to boil with the potatoes.  It flavors them simply and beautifully.

That sounds fine, and i would always season them myself too. But so many recipes i was looking at, and it was particularly common with TV chefs seemed to pile every ingredient under the sun into their mashed potatoes. Sour cream, double cream, butter, milk, cheese...

On 6/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Nooooooo! All that stuff sounds horrid. Thank you @Tears of Lys.

P.S.

I can't stand mashed potatoes that are still lumpy.

It's like cornbread that still has corn kernels in it (shudders).

50 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Nooooooo! All that stuff sounds horrid. Thank you @Tears of Lys.

P.S.

I can't stand mashed potatoes that are still lumpy.

It's like cornbread that still has corn kernels in it (shudders).

Thats good to know then. Some of these recipes just seem to use potato as a vehicle for a heart attack :dunno:

Never actually tried cornbread, its not really a thing over here.

Uh, to try and make this post relevant, last night i finished work and had paella courtesy of our new chef. I love paella and this was one of the best i’ve ever tasted (the new chef is actually Spanish too so this is his bread and butter really). We get nice seafood up here so the mix of that with the beautiful spanish flavours was lovely.

Also washed down with a jug of Sangria...

Paella . . . mmmmmmmmmmm.  One of my favorite things. Haven't had it in so long.

ATK, since I switched to making mashed potatoes with a Foley food mill, a hand-cranked sieve-type thing, my potatoes come out smooth and creamy.  It's a fantastic tool for making pureed soups too.

Today we're just having hamburgers.  Boring.

15 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Paella . . . mmmmmmmmmmm.  One of my favorite things. Haven't had it in so long.

ATK, since I switched to making mashed potatoes with a Foley food mill, a hand-cranked sieve-type thing, my potatoes come out smooth and creamy.  It's a fantastic tool for making pureed soups too.

Today we're just having hamburgers.  Boring.

I find burgers pretty uninspiring too most of the time. I did enjoy some burgers we made a few weeks ago using turkey mince though. They were spruced up slightly by adding chopped garlic and sun dried tomatoes and a little parmesan, very nice, but also very filling for me

14 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Somebody over cook something?

Nah, I used to teach cooking classes in college, so that’s rarely the problem. The grease did damage to my stomach after eating clean outside of liquor for the past three months, and the leftovers made my dog vomit all over the place. I’ll just stick to tenderloins, porterhouses and NY strips going forward.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, I used to teach cooking classes in college, so that’s rarely the problem. The grease did damage to my stomach after eating clean outside of liquor for the past three months, and the leftovers made my dog vomit all over the place. I’ll just stick to tenderloins, porterhouses and NY strips going forward.

Wow.  I've never heard of rib eyes doing so much damage.  Wonder if it was tainted somehow.  Unless your dog has a very tender stomach, he/she shouldn't have had that reaction either.

Archived